Windows 10: 10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION

Discus and support 10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On build 10586 I noticed a new Desktop Icon: 'desktop' - solid yellow icon. No need for that on the desktop so I put it in the Recycle Bin and to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Irwin Mainway, Jan 15, 2016.

1. 10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION

On build 10586 I noticed a new Desktop Icon: 'desktop' - solid yellow icon. No need for that on the desktop so I put it in the Recycle Bin and to my amazement a popup appeared - "This folder is too big to recycle, do you want to permanently delete it?" after it compiled the size.
    IF were to go ahead and do this - the Desktop clears out of folders, a blank Desktop.

On build 10586 I noticed a new Desktop Icon: 'my user name' . I had no reason to go directly to that folder in C:\Users so I put it in the Recycle Bin and to my amazement it started to compile the size, after that the popup would have appeared - "This folder is too big to recycle, do you want to permanently delete it?"
    IF were to go ahead and do this - the ENTIRE CURRENT USER FOLDER would be GONE.

I'm now running 11099.rs_release.160109-1156 - which "fixed it" by requiring Administrator approval to continue.
    Why is any Desktop Icon once deleted deleting any other file but itself?

System Restore wouldn't do any good for that 700GB of videos gone.

:)

Irwin Mainway, Jan 15, 2016

2. Deleted User folder

A while ago I upgraded the hard drive that I had windows 10 on to an SSD. In the process, I made the operating system save user files such as desktop and documents to a second drive to save space on the SSD.

When I was trying to clear space on my SSD I came across the user folder with usernames that where very different from the ones stored on my hard drive. Unfortunately for me, i didn't think and deleted the entire user folder. This has made almost every link
    on my tool bar not work (including windows key) and removed the background. I have tried to restore from a backup and use file history, unfortunately none of these are on by default. I also have tried to re-install windows while keeping files from update &
    security in settings and from a USB, but it always fails.

Any solutions to these problems is appreciated

Thanks,

N

Nathanielbennett, Jan 15, 2016
  3. ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 15, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION

Have not seen that on mine. Are you sure that no third party utility placed that icon, along with maybe third party Internet Security software.

bro67, Jan 16, 2016
  5. I don't know where that 'desktop' icon came from - why would it be on the Desktop anyways.
    To see the desktop icons need 'Show desktop icons' checked in Display settings (right click, View)
    My' User icon was on the desktop based on Control Panel settings.
    Personalization - 'Change desktop icons' opens the Desktop Icon Settings control panel.
    I have 'User's Files' selected. The icon disappears if it is unchecked in the control panel.
    Also checked is 'Allow themes to change desktop icons'

I do have a custom Theme via the link 'Get more themes online' in Personalization.
    Using 'Beach Sunsets by Josh Sommers'.
    That link 'Get more themes online' leads to the Windows themes at Microsoft.
    Note that in the URL "ocid=w8_client_themes" could read "ocid=whatever".

Irwin Mainway, Jan 16, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Without you posting a screen shot, the only guess is what I stated before.

bro67, Jan 16, 2016
  7. Showing: The standard User icon in the opened Recycle Bin while Windows 10 compiles the Users downloads, documents, photos etc to delete - right away if total is less than Recycle Bin size set (mine = 5GB).

I have not tried this in a standard account with no Administrator privileges.
    In Windows 7 only the icon is deleted and unchecked from Desktop Icon Settings as anyone would expect to happen.

I said I am on build 11099 now, with the added Admin. approval pop-up window, but 200 million others are on the RTM release 10586, so I thought I would mention it.

Irwin Mainway, Jan 16, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Again a Screen shot works in backing up what you are stating, along with you following standard procedure for checking for malware.

bro67, Jan 16, 2016
  9. Wrong the solution is for YOU to delete your User icon if you are running 10586 Administrator account.

Irwin Mainway, Jan 17, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Read what they stated again. They did not delete their user icon. They have the terms mixed up. Something along the lines of malware (RansomWare possibly), created a folder with everything from their user directory and placed it on the desktop.

bro67, Jan 17, 2016
  11. Screenshots would not show anything since Windows 10 is at the default setting of NOT showing .lnk file extensions. So I would not see User X.lnk on the desktop anyways.
    I unchecked that box "Allow themes to change desktop icons."

User X icon has all the right click options of any folder.

Security scans find nothing - MRT - Defender - mbam.
    No rootkit scans though.

Irwin Mainway, Jan 18, 2016
  12. AthanasianCreed, Jan 18, 2016
  13. 10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION

OneDrive could be the culprit. It was enabled but not in use. Onedrive.exe is in Desktop\User X\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\
    I finally noticed that the entire "user" User X resides on the Desktop and not in C:\Users. It is a private account that Microsoft allows to be created. Of course it just links to the user files.
    In C:\Users is the Microsoft created account based on Microsoft login email, required to receive Insider Fast Ring Windows 10 builds.
    The name of that User Icon I deleted in 10586 then canceled is now very important.
    Other Desktop icons behave as should, if deleted they just delete and they are unchecked from Desktop Icon Settings.

Irwin Mainway, Jan 18, 2016
  14. That linked thread "Desktop icon on desktop" includes: "However, based on the green check marks, yours seem to be associated with OneDrive,"
    No green check mark on the Desktop icon that just reappeared today. It states created April 20, 2015 which is when I started Windows 10.
    I also noticed that the desktop today requires refreshing for new files to appear.

So-called "solution" - just refresh the desktop and icon disappears. That is no solution to a very dangerous situation with possible loss of gigabytes of user files. If just deleted, all 4.36 GB must fit in the Recycle Bin or will be prompted "will not fit, continue to delete permanently"

Irwin Mainway, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION - Similar Threads - 10586 Issue User

2. Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.: Hello, I'm encountering a storage issue on my computer. There are 2 additional user folders that I need to remove. The reason for this is that these folders are consuming a significant amount of space. These users had been running Virtual Machines and have amassed a massive...
  3. Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.: Hello, I'm encountering a storage issue on my computer. There are 2 additional user folders that I need to remove. The reason for this is that these folders are consuming a significant amount of space. These users had been running Virtual Machines and have amassed a massive...
  4. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  5. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  6. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Deleted a users folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted a users folder: Hello. I've deleted one of the users folders 2 weeks ago which was, to put it simply, a VERY, VERY DUMB idea. At first, I thought nothing of it as windows loaded up and worked but then, as expected, problems appeared as soon as I restarted the computer. first of all, some...
  8. Can't delete deleted user's folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete deleted user's folder.: So a long time ago I made this user using command prompt just for fun and then I went to delete it. But I just noticed that the user folder is still there. It says I can't delete it because I don't have permissions. I tried giving myself permissions to no avail. Can someone...
  9. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9655
  10. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9651