Windows 10: 1080p PC Gaming on 4K HDTV?

Discus and support 1080p PC Gaming on 4K HDTV? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm going to be investing in a new HDTV for my gaming PC. I currently use a 50" Plasma but I would like something bigger. I plan to go with a 60-65"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BeK, Dec 9, 2015.

1. BEK
    BeK Win User

1080p PC Gaming on 4K HDTV?

I'm going to be investing in a new HDTV for my gaming PC. I currently use a 50" Plasma but I would like something bigger. I plan to go with a 60-65" LED HDTV and I plan to game using 1080p resolution regardless of whether I purchase a 4K HDTV or a 1080p HDTV.
    The question I have is if I chose to go with a 4K HDTV will look any better than a 1080p HDTV in terms of clarity, sharpness, color vibrancy, etc?
    Thanks in advance.

CASE:*NZXT*Phantom*PHAN-001WT*Red Steel / Plastic Enthusiast*ATX*Full Tower Computer Case
    CPU: Intel i5 4690K*3.5GHz
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    GPU: MSI*GTX 970*
    MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    MEMORY:*G.SKILL*Ripjaws*X Series*8GB DDR3
    SSD:*Intel 535 240GB SATA III (OS/Programs)
    SSD 2:*Intel 520*120GB SATA III (Games)
    HDD 1:*Western Digital 2TB*7200 RPM (Media)
    HDD 2:*Western Digital 1TB*7200 RPM (Games)
    HDD 3:*Western Digital 500GB*7200 RPM (BackUp)
    OPTICAL DRIVE:*SONY Black*Blu-ray Burner 12X
    PSU:*Antec*High Current Gamer Series 900W
    DISPLAY: Panasonic 50"*Plasma 1080p HDTV
    NETWORK ADAPTER: TP-LINK Dual Band N900
    FANS:*140MM*(x1),*120MM*(x3),*200MM*(x2)
    KEYBOARD:*Logitech*G13 & Logitech Bluetooth*Illuminated*Keyboard K810
    MOUSE: Razer Naga Epic Chroma
    HEADSET: Logitech*G930

:)

2. Screen resolution

Hello, my name is Alex

I have 2 screens on my setup , one monitor that with it's maximum resolution of 1080p and a 4k tv, and i would like to keep my 4k tv at 1080p because everytime i move an app or folder from monitor to tv it must be rescaled, so i changed my tv resolution
    to 1080p.

My question is , if i keep my tv on 1080p and run games or movies at 4k resolution, it's going to be like an upscale, like i use a normal 1080p monitor and force a 4k video or game on it, or it's going to display the 4k content correctly?

LazarAlex1, Dec 9, 2015
  3. Fuzzy fonts and large icons on external monitor - Is scaling the issue?

Yes, shortly after posting I realized my solution fixed the external monitor and got rid of the huge font and boxes, but made the fonts and boxes small in my main monitor.

The problem for me is that I have a Surface Pro 4 (4k resolution) with an external monitor that's only 1080p. Since 4k is four times the resolution of 1080p then scaling is always off.

I fixed the issue by buying a 4k external monitor that I'll use for gaming and at the same time fix this issue. (they are spendy though). If both monitors have the same resolution the scaling will work.

MartinParrao, Dec 9, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

A 4k/UHD will only operate in 1080p, if that is the signal it is receiving. Suggest you invest in a good quality 4k/UHD video capable card. That way you can upscale to 4k/UHD.

bro67, Dec 9, 2015
  5. BEK
    BeK Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion but I have no desire to game in 4K as the financial investment isn't cheap. The reason I ask is because 1080p monitor that I used to use before I started using my HDTV seemingly offered a better visual experience. I was wondering if a 4K HDTV would off the same visual experience but just in a bigger package.

6. bro67 Win User
    See post number 2. The only reason the 4k/UHD sets look better, is because of the software and processing to upscale to make your eyes trick your into believing your old set is worse.

In order to see a real difference, both sets and the computer would have to be properly calibrated.

If you plan on gaming for a long period, also plan on getting a 4k/UHD set. You need the 4k/UHD video card to properly work with the new set.

Otherwise you will think that either your computer or the game is bad, or you got a bad tv.

It is your money, do as you wish. But remember that if you plan on laying out good money on a decent 4k/UHD set. You better plan on getting a 4k/UHD compatible card to upscale to 4k/UHD. The cards that are on the market, already have the capabilities of 4k/UHD processing. A good GPU and video card makes a world of difference when it comes to gaming.

bro67, Dec 9, 2015
  7. BEK
    BeK Win User
    Thanks!
    I was thinking that it was all in the actual hardware. My old 1080p monitor that I used to use to game definitely looks better than that current 1080p HDTV that I use in terms of sharpness and clarity. I thought that a 4K HDTV would offer the same visually just due to the hardware alone.
    Thanks for the clarification!

8. bro67 Win User

As I have stated already it is in the hardware. When you show a 1080p image on a 4k/UHD tv. The software fills in the blanks, which in turns makes it look like garbage.

If you use the GPU that is capable of 4k/UHD, the GPU takes care of the upscaling, which makes for a lot better image. See the link.

Upscaling: How Does It Work and Is It Worth It?

bro67, Dec 9, 2015
  9. bro67 Win User
    Your new HDTV needs calibrated, so that it shows the optimal picture.

bro67, Dec 9, 2015
  10. BEK
    BeK Win User
    Within Nvidia Control Panel you mean?

11. bro67 Win User
    That is part of it. Computers are harder to calibrate, because of they are used for different things. Plus not every game is going to have colors that are going to look right.

There are gaming forums out there for this kind of stuff.

bro67, Dec 9, 2015
  12. BEK
    BeK Win User
    Thank you. I'll stick with a 1080p HDTV then.

13. bro67 Win User

I would keep an eye on the prices. They are starting to fall towards more cost affordable.

We have a 8 year old Panasonic Plasma that is still going strong. I keep watching the prices on the 4k units. When the Plasma dies, I am going with at least a 60" to replace the 42".

Football is really the only thing that my wife would like it for. It is going to be a while before you see anything other than the Olympics in 4k. But it is better to be ready.

Also keep reading up on the graphics cards and games. The games are slowly coming out with higher resolution, as consumers buy more of the 4k capable cards.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 1080p PC Gaming on 4K HDTV? - Similar Threads - 1080p Gaming HDTV

2. 1080p on a 4K monitor or 1080p?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    1080p on a 4K monitor or 1080p?: If I get a 4K, I'd play 1080p on it before later upgrading GPU for 4K But I hear 1080p on 4K = blurry. Or is it one of those things like 'very high shadows' v 'high shadows' where you'd need to compare screenshots to see a difference and / or care?
  3. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  4. Adjust Scaling of 4k Display with 1080p Displays?

Adjust Scaling of 4k Display with 1080p Displays?: Hi, I have a 4k screen on my laptop's screen, and two 1080p monitors. I'm wondering if there is any way to rescale the 4k screen in the "Display Settings" window so that it matches in size with the other two screens. Because it's resolution is so much higher than the screens,...
  5. 4K HD pc game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4K HD pc game: Does 4K HD pc game work on non 4K monitor and graphics card ? 177587
  6. Moving applications from 1080p monitor to 4k

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving applications from 1080p monitor to 4k: I have an interesting scenario. Opening an application on my 4K monitor and dragging it to 1080p looks fine, but when moving from 1080p to 4K the program is wildly distorted. Has anyone else seen this issue or have a fix? submitted by /u/chrisfalwell [link] [comments]...
  7. 4k & 1080p Monitor allignment

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    4k & 1080p Monitor allignment: [ATTACH] Hey Guys, maybe someone knows a tool or fix for my problem. I newly got a 4k monitor and already have 2 1080p monitors. My current allignment is this :...
  8. 4k and 1080P Monitor Setup

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    4k and 1080P Monitor Setup: I recently purchased Samsung 32-Inch UJ59 UHD 4K with 3840x2160 resolution. I'm running on a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo Graphic Card TURBO-GTX1080-8G. The 1080p monitor is a Acer G276HL Gbd 27-Inch (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor. My question is, first is that graphics...
  9. "Photos" app only outputs 1080p, not 4K.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Photos" app only outputs 1080p, not 4K.: I am running Windows 10 Pro and need help with a problem. I have used Windows Movie Maker to edit videos for years and have never once had a problem. Now I have Windows 10, and Movie Maker has been replaced with the Photos app. So I have been using the Photos app for editing...
  10. 4K monitor displaying from 1080p laptop

4K monitor displaying from 1080p laptop: Hi I have a quick question (hope this is the right category). I recently purchased a Dell 4k monitor (P2415Q) to use on my Asus 1080p laptop. I did noticed that I was able to stream 4k video online fine (extended display mode), however I will be using the 4k display mainly...