Windows 10: 10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed

Discus and support 10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there, I recently added a Intel X550-T1 NIC to my Windows machine. Now after doing some tests I noticed the throughput is only about 2.5 GBits/s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/flobernd, Jan 7, 2021.

1. 10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed

Hi there,

I recently added a Intel X550-T1 NIC to my Windows machine. Now after doing some tests I noticed the throughput is only about 2.5 GBits/s (using iperf3 for testing).

Same test performed using an Ubuntu Live Boot Stick yielded me a throughput of about 9 GBits/s.

Things I tried to improve:

1. Completely re-installed Windows
    2. Installed the latest driver for the X550-T1 (from the Intel website)

What as well catched my mind: If I run the test with the loopback interface (localhost) as the target server, I only get the same poor throughput of about 2.5 GBits/s. All my Debian VMs and as well a Windows Server 2019 VM (on an ESXi host) are showing between 40-100 GBits/s in the same test.

Can anybody help me out please?

Best regards

submitted by /u/flobernd
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/flobernd, Jan 7, 2021

2. Slow data transfer speed.

Hi,

One of the possible reason that this issue occurs is due to the driver compatibility after Windows upgrade. For us to isolate the issue, we’ll need the following details:

• What type of data transfer speed are you referring to? Is it internet connection speed or file transfer speed?
    • If you are referring to file transfer speed, are you using USB drive or Bluetooth to process file transfer? or,
    • If you are referring to internet connection speed, are you using Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi?
    • Can you tell us any troubleshooting you've done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Efraim Gar, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Dariusz Win User
    Windows 10, 10gbe connection slow transfer, DefaultSendWindow / tcp

Hey

I did a bit of research on this matter and I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to windows DefaultSendWindow being set too low for modern networks.

Where can I edit this setting in windows to force a different tcp buffer length size.

I found this on internet TCP Window size problems

and this in that post
    You can do that by editing the registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD\Parameters\DefaultSendWindow

But this is empty on my end and I don't know what values I should put in to configure that.

A more 10gbe related topic on this I have posted on this forum, in case any1 is interested.
    10gb SFP + network setup - slow windows TCP Transfer - Spiceworks

From my tests over there you can see that the windows is the issue of slow transfer speeds and not hardware/zfs/freenas.

Regards

Dariusz, Jan 7, 2021
  4. 10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed

Slow File Transfer Speeds (WiFi)

Hi Ruz,

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked out all your suggestions, but nothing has so far improved the transfer speeds. To clarify the issue:

My requirement is to transfer files from my desktop PC to my laptop. The desktop is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable.

When connecting the SB2 to the network by Ethernet, the cable is connected to the laptop via an Ethernet > USB C connector, attaining transfer speeds of around 100 MB/sec. When connecting via WiFi, the transfer speeds drop to around 30 MB/sec, whether I
    am using the built-in WiFi adapter or the new, third party adapter.

By way of comparison, I am achieving transfer speeds of around 80 MB/sec when transferring to my 8-year old MacBook Pro via WiFi in the same environment.

According to various internet speed test utilities, I do not have any issues when uploading/downloading via Ethernet or WiFi, which give similar results.

To summarise, the only issues seems to be the file transfer speeds when using WiFi.

SkyriderUK, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed

1. 10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed - Similar Threads - 10Gbe Ethernet Very

2. Ethernet slow speeds very unstable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet slow speeds very unstable: Not sure why but my ethernet speeds on task manager is showing very unstable and in kbps but if i use speed test i get 250 MBPS and upload 30MBPS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-slow-speeds-very-unstable/9e33d231-b624-45e7-a892-0acd42f13ed9
  3. Ethernet slow speeds very unstable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet slow speeds very unstable: Not sure why but my ethernet speeds on task manager is showing very unstable and in kbps but if i use speed test i get 250 MBPS and upload 30MBPS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-slow-speeds-very-unstable/9e33d231-b624-45e7-a892-0acd42f13ed9
  4. Ethernet slow speeds very unstable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Very slow upload speeds with ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow upload speeds with ethernet: My download speeds are through the roof at over 800mb/s but my upload speed is sitting at a pathetic 0.3-1mb/sI've tried disabling LSO, updating drivers, deleting the device and switching cords and ports. My brothers PC is working perfectly fine with the same downlopad speed...
  6. Very slow upload speeds with ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very slow upload speeds with ethernet: My download speeds are through the roof at over 800mb/s but my upload speed is sitting at a pathetic 0.3-1mb/sI've tried disabling LSO, updating drivers, deleting the device and switching cords and ports. My brothers PC is working perfectly fine with the same downlopad speed...
  7. Very slow upload speeds with ethernet

8. Intel X550-T1 on Windows: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed 10Gbe

Intel X550-T1 on Windows: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed 10Gbe: Hi there, I recently added a Intel X550-T1 NIC to my Windows machine. Now after doing some tests I noticed the throughput is only about 2.5 GBits/s using iperf3 for testing. Same test performed using an Ubuntu Live Boot Stick yielded me a throughput of about 9 GBits/s....
  9. A question about data transfer/throughput speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question about data transfer/throughput speed: First off, hardware specifications: The Fatal1ty Z97 Killer Motherboard \\ The I7-4790k 4.0 Ghz LGA 1150 Processor \\ Two 8 GB DDR3 1600 CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B RAM modules \\ One 240 GB V300 SSD for OS, Boot, and program files \\ Two 1TB WD10EZEX HDDs in RAID 0 for mass...
  10. Very slow boot and general overall low speed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot and general overall low speed.: Several people kindly tried to help when I first asked in the thread Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts. but, understandably, ran out of patience. The problem still exists. The system is now Windows 1803 (OS Build 17134.165) The computer takes almost 3...