Windows 10: 11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented

Discus and support 11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Something I’ve always done over the years is run weekly 100% mirror image bootable backup clones of the C-drive in my ThinkPad laptops…using spare USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by earlyvirginia, Nov 23, 2020.

1. 11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented

Something I’ve always done over the years is run weekly 100% mirror image bootable backup clones of the C-drive in my ThinkPad laptops…using spare USB cable connected SSD hard drives. [ connect the drive, run ‘Acronis True Image’ cloning software that I use, done ]

From time to time I’d boot the laptop from a USB backup drive, always worked perfectly…but mostly I’d just make the weekly backups for peace of mind in case the C-drive should ever fail.

But discovered a pesky little problem as I’ve been setting up a new ThinkPad P52 to replace my older P51. After I finished setting up the new P52 C-drive, I cloned it to a USB attached hard drive like I’ve done on the P51 a couple hundred times…and then just to be sure it worked, tried to boot the P52 back from the cloned USB attached drive.
    Failed…blue screen error message: “Inaccessible Boot Device”.

TROUBLE SHOOTING SUMMARY SO FAR:

The P52 ThinkPad boots up normally / works perfectly from its internal C-drive.

All USB flash drives and/or USB cabled hard drives that I plug in all operate normally.
    The P52 laptop sees them all, adds them to the list of other drives in the laptop c, d, e, f, etc..

I can read/ write to them business as usual, click open / look at content inside normally.

My cloning software works like always because I’ve taken cloned copies and physically installed them inside the laptop as the internal C-drive and the laptop comes right up normally / works perfectly, etc. I simply cannot BOOT FROM a USB connected clone any longer.

I’ve spent hours over a few days Internet searching, trying this, trying that, no help.
    I’ve tried different SSD hard drives, different cables, different USB ports, no help.

Ran a few check-disk kinds of scans and the SSD’s are rock solid as always.

Ensured all Lenovo ThinkPad updates are downloaded and installed.
    Ensured all Windows updates are downloaded and installed.

Then started trying the approach of uninstalling Windows updates one at a time but it’s time consuming and several of the ‘security related Win updates wouldn’t let me uninstall them.

So I decided to go back and ensure everything sill worked OK on the original P51, and to my surprise it fails the same way. Been quite a while since I actually did a USB Boot on the original P51 so I assume something must have changed during the past several months and I’m thinking the Win 10 Pro software is the common denominator.

Thought I’d check here with the Brain Trust and see if anyone might know of a specific Win 10 related finding / fix for this situation…thanks a lot in advance.

:)

earlyvirginia, Nov 23, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Sambat Win User
    Strange boot problem

I am trying to get my head round the 6 steps above before having a go. If you can expand on them it may give me a bit more confidence. I cant lose the whole contents of my PC.
    Have attached details as you suggested.

11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented [​IMG]

Sambat, Nov 23, 2020
  4. 11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented

USB problem

I have difficulty booting up computer at usb ports detecting and I think of my webcam cause it.
    The computer boot screen is having a big delay it freeze for 30 or 60 seconds at the usb scanning step. Sometimes in Windows it says Unknown hardware at windows opening. Could it be my usb ports that begin to sucks or my webcam is having trouble ? (No other usb devices plugged other than wireless usb key for keyboard-mouse combo)

MohawkAngel, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented

1. 11/23/20 – Strange USB Boot problem that I’m thinking is Windows oriented - Similar Threads - – Strange USB

2. Strange USB issue on Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange USB issue on Win 11: Hi.Few days ago after update my USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports stopped working.Under device in device manager there is a Code 10 error and after a search internet I have notice that many Win 10 and 11 users have same issues.My USB 3.1 ports are not affected.Can dev team focus on that...
  3. Strange USB Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Strange USB Problem: This is posted solely out of curiosity: I had plugged in a new computer camera which, when turned on, presented a poor image. By fiddling with the USB plug, I could get it to work, but the problem was there each time I turned it on. After a short while, I contacted Amazon,...
  4. I’m Stuck In a Very Strange Boot Loop...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I’m Stuck In a Very Strange Boot Loop...: I am aware that I’ve done so many things wrong but I was in a hurry during all of this. My PC is used to host a Minecraft server. I was running the Jar file and forgot to use the stop command to close the server, but I just closed the window. A few seconds later, I pressed...
  5. Windows Update Yesterday 23 Aug 20

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Update Yesterday 23 Aug 20: After the update yesterday the PC would not restart and I had to do a reboot and lost all Apps. Now the PC is working but I am unable access any files under "this PC" the files are showing but will not open. Any suggestions?...
  6. Very strange issue I’m having.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very strange issue I’m having.: So I’m having a problem which seems like it’s me being stuck in a temporary account. But my computer never notified me that it switched and on top off that no method I’ve seen has worked thus far. Every time I turn off my computer it deletes anything within my downloads...
  7. Boot Screen orientations sideways.

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Screen orientations sideways.: Hey, When my laptop is in the boot screen, the orientation of it is sideways. Heres a picture showing what it looks like. (Its an edited picture in Paint.net) [img] Is this fixable? 58387
  8. Strange boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange boot problem: I normally run my pc with two Samsung SSD drives, a 256gb 850EVO boot drive, and a 1tb 840EVO slave drive. Every so often I image one to the other using the Samsung cloning software. I now wanted to use the 1TB elsewhere so simply removed it. After doing so my PC now boots...
  9. Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem: I have a dual-boot problem. My desktop PC has two harddrives, Drive 0 and Drive 1. Drive 0 (my primary boot drive) has a single partition containing Windows 10 on Drive C:. Drive 1 has two partitions: a 100MB System Reserved partition containing the MBR, etc., and a large...
  10. Strange problem after booting computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange problem after booting computer: Ok so i have been running Windows 10 for a while now and after a few teething problems that were soon sorted out, i have found it to ok and i quite like it Last night when i turned the computer off it was running fine, but this morning on booting quite a few problems...