Windows 10: 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

Discus and support 11 partitions on HDD after clean install in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I did a clean install on my daughters old laptop (Lenovo G580) and after looking into disk management there are 11 partitions on the HDD. Can anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by paulpies84, Sep 12, 2019.

1. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

I did a clean install on my daughters old laptop (Lenovo G580) and after looking into disk management there are 11 partitions on the HDD. Can anyone tell me why so many and if I can delete them. The laptop is 7 years old so way out of warranty and she never uses any of the bundle crap that came with it so I'm worried about recovery partitions.

Could I get away with starting a new install and then, when you have the option of where to install, delete all the other partitions so I have one single drive and let the new install create the partitions it requires?

11 partitions on HDD after clean install [​IMG]

Any help appreciated

:)

paulpies84, Sep 12, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps performed to resolve the issue. However, let’s try with the further troubleshooting steps and see if it works. Initially, I would suggest you to create a bootable media with a USB/Flash drive of capacity 8GB.
    For better understanding, you may watch the video with the procedure from the article on
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide

Set the boot priority to USB once after creating a bootable media using a USB and proceed with the Windows Installation. On the drive selection window, press Shift + F10 keys to open the Command Prompt. Then follow the steps listed
    below:

• Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
      diskpart
    • Once after executing the above command, type the following command to list the current drives and press Enter:
      list disk
    • List disk will give you the list of drives, use the following command to select the drive and press Enter: select disk 0
    • Type the following command to check if the disk is online: online disk
      (if the disk is not online)
    • Type the following command to clean the drive and press Enter:
      clean
    • To create a partition, type the following command and press Enter:
      create partition primary
    • To select the partition that you created, type the following command and press Enter:
      select partition 1
    • To set the partition active, type the following command and press Enter:
      active (if this is the boot partition)
    • Type the following command to assign a drive letter and press Enter:
      assign letter(letter)
    • After completing all this, close the command prompt screen and click on
      refresh button.
    • Then you will only have one drive with “unallocated space”, just select the partition to start the installation.

Let us know how it goes and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Sep 12, 2019
  4. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

Partition problem during clean install of Win 10

Partition problem during clean install. I get the message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files."

I'm trying to do a clean install (after a successful upgrade so this laptop has been activated on Windows 10). Super basic situation - single blank internal SATA HDD in a 2010-era Dell laptop, installing from a USB stick, same installation media used for the
    successful upgrade. No complications - dual boot, multiple drives, Linux, etc.

After I select the Custom install option the window showing disk partitions is shown. My disk is there (the only one) but no matter how I delete/create/format it I get the message noted above.

I have searched the web of course, found and tried the following:

• Made sure the hard drive is first in the boot order in the BIOS
    • Used the "diskpart" utility and the sequence of commands suggested to clean, partition and format the disk.
    • Tried leaving the disk blank (without any partitions) and also tried creating a single Primary partition.
    • Pulled the USB stick for a few seconds right after accepting the license, before the custom install selection. (A weird suggestion but I tried it).
    Any ideas?

DavidCarlson3, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

11 partitions on HDD after clean install

1. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install - Similar Threads - partitions HDD clean

2. Partitioning on clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning on clean install windows 11: When reinstalling windows 11 , on the screen where you can delete partitions , I delete them all and then have unallocated space…. From that point do I just click Next to install or do I create new partitions and then begin install. Thanks...
  3. Partitioning on clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning on clean install windows 11: When reinstalling windows 11 , on the screen where you can delete partitions , I delete them all and then have unallocated space…. From that point do I just click Next to install or do I create new partitions and then begin install. Thanks...
  4. install w10 in a hdd partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install w10 in a hdd partition: how to install w10 in a hdd partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-w10-in-a-hdd-partition/d91c95f8-11c8-44b4-9bba-fb79ee563776
  5. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  6. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  7. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    11 partitions on HDD after clean install: I did a clean install on my daughters old laptop (Lenovo G580) and after looking into disk management there are 11 partitions on the HDD. Can anyone tell me why so many and if I can delete them. The laptop is 7 years old so way out of warranty and she never uses any of the...
  8. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  9. Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions

Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions: I want to re install windows 10 on my laptop [img] How can I keep my D: and E: partitions? Do i just delete the other 4 including C: where windows is installed and make a new 1 and install windows there? 111289
  10. HDD has six partitions after clean install

HDD has six partitions after clean install: After a clean install of the 10240 build I ended up w/six partitions on my HDD. It appears 3 and 5 are just taking up space. I deleted all the partitions as part of the install, but did not format the drive. Initially the clean install would not activate but a reset cured...