Windows 10: 1440p resolution issues

Discus and support 1440p resolution issues in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, I am having a bit of an issue with a 2560x1440p 144Hz monitor I fairly recently upgraded to. The monitor itself works flawlessly. No bad pixels,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KindlyDragon, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 1440p resolution issues

So, I am having a bit of an issue with a 2560x1440p 144Hz monitor I fairly recently upgraded to. The monitor itself works flawlessly. No bad pixels, smooth motion, overall an amazing upgrade.

Except for one problem. On occasion, text and image anti aliasing within the Windows environment will glitch to annoyingly noticeable levels. Text will distort slightly, adopting an almost multicolored as if they are split within pixels. Certain images, some of the most noticeable I think are in the PNG format, will also gain a pixelated border, looking like they had been resized in MS paint and forced lose all forms of smoothing and anti aliasing.

This appears to happen when games are run. I do not have suspicion on the monitor as this problem appears to have software-based cues that cause it to happen in the first place. For example, I could run this monitor without this happening for days but the moment certain games are run, this issue has a chance to trigger. Other parts of imagery and rendering are usually unaffected as well, further reinforcing this to be a software/ scaling issue. This isn't noticeable in game so it appears to me to be mostly within the Windows rendering settings that cause this. It is also worth noting that this does not happen every time. If it was a monitor fault I have been running in to I feel this would reliably be happening beyond a certain period of use in one setting.

It may be worth noting I have a dual screen set up. Formerly two 1080p panels both at 144Hz, but a failing panel was replaced with this upgrade resulting in a 2560x1440 with a 1920x1080 final setup. Also one detail that may be worth noting, I have found that, whenever this does happen, the 1440p panel is somehow automatically set to 120Hz rather than its native 144 refresh within the Windows Display Properties. Sometimes the cable needs to be removed to fix this, though a quick PC restart also usually does the trick. I often do the former when I am not in the position to be able to do a restart without it getting in the way of what I am doing.

Before I post this, some information:

• Yes, I have re-installed graphics drivers several different times. I have done everything from doing clean installations using Nvidia's driver installation tools to total display driver deletion with third party utilities run in safe mode. Please, don't make update/reinstall drivers the only thing you post as a response.
    • Yes, I have moved cables around and even attempted a single monitor setup in case there was some deeper incompatibility problems with running two 144Hz monitors with differing resolution and pixel density. I have also made attempts to set the second monitor to 60Hz as another measure of troubleshooting.
    • No, this monitor is not G-Sync native. It is technically G-Sync capable but I will not dig too deep in to that as I have tried with this both on and off.
    • No, this is not the first community I made an attempt to gather an answer from, in fact it is the third. No one has yet to provide me an answer that worked longer than a few hours.

Relevant info:

GPU: GTX 1080 Ti FE (EVGA manufactured)

Driver Version: 431.60

:)

KindlyDragon, Aug 15, 2019

2. Screen Resolution too big

Hello,

Firstly, try to install all the available Windows Updates and check if it fixes the issue.

I suggest you to change the screen resolution settings and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type Change Screen Resolution and click on the option listed.
    • Under resolution try changing the resolution settings.

Also try to install the latest drivers from the manufacturer website and check.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Resolution?

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to change the screen resolution in Windows 10. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• What are the options you are getting?
    • How exactly are you trying to change the screen resolution?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to change the screen resolution.

• Right click on desktop.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click on Advance display settings.
    • Under resolution drop down, you can select the option 1600x900.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 15, 2019
  4. 1440p resolution issues

Windows 10 desktop resolution issue

Hi Arindam,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to change the screen resolution, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to update the Display Adapter Drivers

Step 1: Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software.

Refer to: How to: Install and
    Update drivers in Windows 10

Step 2: Please follow the below steps to change the resolution of the screen and check:

• Type Change screen resolution in the Search
      box from the desktop.
    • Under Resolution search for the Recommended resolution and click on
      Apply.
    • A windows pops up saying "Keep these display settings", then select
      Keep changes.

I would like to inform that, there will be a recommended resolution for all the computers, and if you select more than the recommended resolution the screen would not support for that.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us for any further issues on Windows Operating System, we will be
    happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

1440p resolution issues

1. 1440p resolution issues - Similar Threads - 1440p resolution issues

2. Resolution issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resolution issues.: thank you in advance for any help provided!!! Something happened with my surface laptop 4, where the resolution on some things is way too big. it isn't my actual resolution settings, and i have also tried to adjust the scaling, but it isn't helping. I think the cause may have...
  3. Resolution issues.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resolution issues.: thank you in advance for any help provided!!! Something happened with my surface laptop 4, where the resolution on some things is way too big. it isn't my actual resolution settings, and i have also tried to adjust the scaling, but it isn't helping. I think the cause may have...
  4. Get 3x 1080p instead of 1440p 1440p and 720p

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get 3x 1080p instead of 1440p 1440p and 720p: Hello,Before all, I'm on Windows 11.I got 3 1440p monitors that I use on my main Tower at 1440p, but I also want to use them on my Laptop.As my Laptop got only Intel UHD Graphics 620, I can't use 3 1440p monitors, but I can use 3 1080p monitors.I can't select 3 time 1080p...
  5. Resolution issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resolution issues: Whenever I open a game that opens riot games' Riot client my resolution changes to 640x480. I have tried uninstalling my graphics drivers and the game https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resolution-issues/5723dd11-eee3-4c3b-9590-fb2d918c2f42
  6. Resolution issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Resolution issue: so i have windows 10 on my pc and i was just doing my normal work idk what happened but my display resolutions are pretty much screwed my monitor resolution is 1920 X 1080 and its recommended in the windows settings as well but it wont fit my screen its enlarged i did...
  7. Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resolution Issue: I have this problem on my pc where my resolution keeps changing automaticly and there isnt anything that I could do about. I tried everything like restalling drivers to updating them. I still fix this issue and I tried restarting my pc as well to see if that would have an...
  8. 1440P or 4K

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    1440P or 4K: I use a full hd 27 inch monitor but I fancy something a little sharper. Is 4K worth it for office and web browsing or would the 1440P be more suitable? I would be limited to 27-28 size. An IPS panel or equivalent would help the sharpness. 44074
  9. Resolution Issues

Resolution Issues: Hi There Over the weekend I bought a Lenovo U41 14" 256 SSD, 8GB RAM Laptop from John Lewis. I used to have a 3 15" HP Compaq. The lenovo came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10. Its wonderfully fast and light weight. The problem I have is the resolution. It is...
  10. Resolution Issues

Resolution Issues: I have a GTX570 Phantom, and an LG E1911S-BN monitor. Recently, I started to have very weird resolution issues: while in some games, and all programs, everything runs fine at the monitor's resolution (1366x768, 60Hz), in certain games, upon selecting 1366x768 at full screen,...