Windows 10: 144Hz no longer an available option in Windows settings

Discus and support 144Hz no longer an available option in Windows settings in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I hope this is the correct place to post, I apologize if not. I have a 144Hz 1080p monitor, GTX 1080Ti, connected with a HDMI 2.0 cable. When I first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by MR Easy Guns, Dec 28, 2018.

1. 144Hz no longer an available option in Windows settings

I hope this is the correct place to post, I apologize if not.

I have a 144Hz 1080p monitor, GTX 1080Ti, connected with a HDMI 2.0 cable. When I first set up this system a little over a year ago, I was able to select 144Hz in Windows settings. Between now and then I hooked up a kvm switch - not surprisingly I lost the capability to output at 144Hz. But now I've removed the switch from my set up and I can't return back to 144Hz. Highest Windows setting allows is 60Hz. All hardware is exactly the same before and after the kvm switch.

The only thing I can think of that may be important is before the physical kvm switch, I used Microsoft's Mouse Without Borders for a short time, which did some weird things like enable secure log in (which required I change a registry key to disable). I don't know if that might be related.

Is there something in Windows that could be preventing this or do I have a bad cable or other hardware problem? I don't have another cable to test out at this time but I'd like to try to eliminate other possibilities before I order a new one.

Acer GN256HL - Amazon.com: Acer GN246HL Bbid 24-Inch 3D Gaming Display (144Hz Refresh Rate): Computers Accessories
    HDMI 2.0 - Amazon.com: 4K HDMI Cable 6ft (2-Pack) - Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable - HDCP 2.2-4K HDR, 3D, 2160P, 1080P, Ethernet - 28AWG Braided HDMI Cord - Audio Return Compatible TV, PC, Blu-ray Player, Apple TV: Electronics
    GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDRR5X DirectX 12 352-bit VR Ready Graphics Card (GTX 1080 TI Duke 11G OC): Electronics

:)

MR Easy Guns, Dec 28, 2018

2. 144hz monitor

Hi Anoosh,

Note: Depending on graphics card, these instructions may vary.

Please go to Display Settings and try the following:

- Select the monitor from the list of displays

- Scroll down and select 'Advanced display settings'

- Select 'Display adapter proprties for Display #'

- Select 'List All Modes'

- Select desired resolution and refresh rate (1920 x 1080 @ 144hz)

If these options are not there, you may need to change them from your graphics card software (i.e NVIDIA Geforce Experience, or AMD Catalyst Control Center).

Hope this helps,

Nathan

NathanT_06, Dec 28, 2018
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Pen and Touch option is not available in the Settings.

Hi Teresa,

If you are not seeing the options you mentioned in Mouse & touchpad
    settings, the drivers for the devices may be corrupted or there may be issues regarding your operating system. Please answer these questions so we can help you further:

• Have these options always been unavailable since getting the device?
    • Did you lose the options after applying changes or installing updates?
    • What is the make and model of your device?

Let's run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to diagnose the issue further. This tool will also aid in resolving the problem it finds on the system. Follow these steps to perform the suggestion:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshooting then press Enter.
    • On the left panel, click on View all.
    • Choose Hardware and Devices and allow the troubleshooter to run.

You can also use the System File Checker tool to scan for missing or corrupted system files that may be causing Windows to not recognize the devices you have. Like the previous recommendation, this tool corrects the issues it detects on your computer. Read
    more about the suggestion on
    this link

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Ruz San, Dec 28, 2018
  4. Dethroy Win User

144Hz no longer an available option in Windows settings

144hz

Usually a PC monitor lasts much longer than GPU(s). That's why I'd suggest moving to 144Hz is a good choice, even if you won't utilize its advantages just yet.

Although I'd definitely recommend moving to the 21:9 aspect ratio. But people seem very slow at adopting it. 16:9 is so yesteryear ...

Dethroy, Dec 28, 2018
Thema:

144Hz no longer an available option in Windows settings

1. 144Hz no longer an available option in Windows settings - Similar Threads - 144Hz longer available

2. Password option no longer available, PIN was never set, unable to sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password option no longer available, PIN was never set, unable to sign in: On my mothers laptop, she only had a password setup for the login, she never setup a PIN number. Suddenly, the password sign in option is no longer available. Only the PIN number and face ID. Her Face ID would only recognize her with a certain pair of glasses on, which she no...
  3. Wifi option no longer available on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi option no longer available on Windows 11: Just got a new PC tower and finally finished swapping all my components motherboard etc to the new tower and everything worked - except when i turned my PC on i noticed that theres no internet. Checked my phone.. saw wifi was connected.. immediately realized this isnt a wifi...
  4. Wifi option no longer available on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi option no longer available on Windows 11: Just got a new PC tower and finally finished swapping all my components motherboard etc to the new tower and everything worked - except when i turned my PC on i noticed that theres no internet. Checked my phone.. saw wifi was connected.. immediately realized this isnt a wifi...
  5. Line-in audio option no longer available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Line-in audio option no longer available: This one has been popping up on the forums for some time. In my case I was using a 'dongle' with software and drivers to record an ancient VHS tape. Eventually I got a decent video recording but all efforts to record the sound failed. This was because there was no 'Line in'...
  6. Line-in audio option no longer available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Line-in audio option no longer available: This one has been popping up on the forums for some time. In my case I was using a 'dongle' with software and drivers to record an ancient VHS tape. Eventually I got a decent video recording but all efforts to record the sound failed. This was because there was no 'Line in'...
  7. Line-in audio option no longer available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Option to set different wallpaper on multiple monitors no longer available?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Option to set different wallpaper on multiple monitors no longer available?: As submitted from another thread, the option to select a wallpaper for different seems to no longer be available after I updated my windows build. The only option left is "Set as desktop background" rather than "Set to Monitor 1" or "Set to Monitor 2". Can someone...
  9. No 144Hz option available

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No 144Hz option available: I am currently working from home using a Dell Latitude 5410 issued by my employer. I want to use this machine with my external display that supports a 144Hz refresh rate. Whenever I connect the display it runs at 60Hz max. In the settings I can only select 59Hz or 60Hz. The...
  10. Display settings no longer available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display settings no longer available: I can no longer change the brightness on my Dell Laptop - I'm not sure when this happened but I can't make it brighter or darker. The Display settings in the Control Panel are no longer available....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 144hz option not available in msi desktop

2. 144hz option not available windows 10

3. lost 144hz option in windows display

4. 144hz not available on hdmi,
  5. windows 144hz not available,
  6. no option in windows for 144hz