Windows 10: 1511 update, lose IPv6 connectivity a few minutes after reboot

Discus and support 1511 update, lose IPv6 connectivity a few minutes after reboot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've installed the 1511 update (threshold 2) on my desktop computer. It has always worked correctly with my dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 LAN, with both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MrDoh, Nov 17, 2015.

1. MrDoh Win User

1511 update, lose IPv6 connectivity a few minutes after reboot

I've installed the 1511 update (threshold 2) on my desktop computer. It has always worked correctly with my dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 LAN, with both Windows 8 and Windows 10. Now, after the update, it will initially have IPv6 working after I reboot. Then, after a few minutes, IPv6 will stop working, and I see "no internet connectivity" for IPv6 from the Network and Sharing connection properties, even though the other clients in my house still have IPv6 connectivity.

So far, I've tried using netsh to reset the winsock catalog and the tcp stack, and have installed the latest network interface driver from the OEM. I also tried disabling IPv4, and seeing if the network troubleshooter could get the IPv6 connectivity going. That didn't help, either.

At this point, this behavior is a mystery to me. Right now, no IPv6 on this desktop. If I rebooted the computer, IPv6 connectivity would be restored for a few minutes...I have no idea how to troubleshoot this one, it's just strange.

Any help or ideas on what directions to go with this?

Thanks!

:)

MrDoh, Nov 17, 2015
  2. RogerSC Win User

Thanks very much for your help! Much appreciated.

RogerSC, Nov 17, 2015
  3. RogerSC Win User

I've installed the 1511 update (threshold 2) on my desktop computer. It has always worked correctly with my dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 LAN, with both Windows 8 and Windows 10. Now, after the update, it
    will initially have IPv6 working after I reboot. Then, after a few minutes, IPv6 will stop working, and I see "no internet connectivity" for IPv6 from the Network and Sharing connection properties, even though the other clients in my house still have IPv6
    connectivity.

So far, I've tried using netsh to reset the winsock catalog and the tcp stack, and have installed the latest network interface driver from the OEM. I also tried disabling IPv4, and seeing if the network
    troubleshooter could get the IPv6 connectivity going. That didn't help, either.

At this point, this behavior is a mystery to me. Right now, no IPv6 on this desktop. If I rebooted the computer, IPv6 connectivity would be restored for a few minutes...I have no idea how to troubleshoot
    this one, it's just strange.

Any help or ideas on what directions to go with this?

Thanks!

RogerSC, Nov 17, 2015
  4. acushin Win User

Did you ever resolve this? My IPv6 is intermittently dropping, I just restart the connection and it goes again. But it keeps happening, very frustrating.

acushin, Feb 5, 2016
  5. MrDoh Win User
    Yes, but I don't recall what, if anything, that I did, specifically. That was a while ago. Not even sure if this turned out to be a router or Windows 10 problem at this point. However, sometimes, when I reboot my desktop, IPv6 will appear to be working, and then appear to go away. This is always a router problem, where IPv6 isn't really working on the router even though my desktop initially says so. I generally fix it by one of these methods, depending on the firmware:

1. Reboot the router.

2. Disable IPv6, reboot the router, and then re-enable IPv6.

3. If all else fails, reset the router to factory defaults, and manually re-enter my router settings.

4. In rare cases, a cable modem reset has been necessary.

You can also cross-check with tablets and phones, to verify that IPv6 is still available from your router when it drops on your desktop. Just use the "IPv6 test" web sites online on the Safari and/or Chrome browser, depending on whether you're Android or iOS.

Wish I remembered, but IPv6 always ends up working now, assuming that the router firmware allows it. I should keep a diary, mostly I just solve problems as they come up. Not keeping track of what I've done has me re-solving the same problem when it comes up again, which is also frustrating for me *smile*.

MrDoh, Feb 6, 2016
  6. acushin Win User
    OK thanks, I understand. I actually removed Bitdefender, as the problem seemed to be since I installed that. Also, the other computer on the network wasn't showing any problem. Now things are fine again.... so must be Bitdefender...

acushin, Feb 6, 2016
  7. MrDoh Win User
    Could well be Bitdefender. I use Windows Defender. The thing that I initially didn't like about it, that it wasn't updated very often, was fixed by adding a virus definition update task using the task scheduler. The task that I added updates Windows Defender's virus definitions when I log on in the morning, and every hour it checks for a new virus definition update. Also, do manual Malwarebytes and Windows Defender scans once a week. Seems to be working well, although Bitdefender is highly rated.

You might try taking some time if you ever get it *smile*, to see what feature of Bitdefender is causing IPv6 to drop. Maybe just adding an exclusion or turning off some overly aggressive feature would do the trick?

MrDoh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 1511 update, lose IPv6 connectivity a few minutes after reboot - Similar Threads - 1511 update lose

2. After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots: I am running Windows 11, and if I leave my PC hp victus 15fb0xxx idle for a few minutes, it reboots. If I use it continuously, it's fine. I have installed every system update and checked my drivers to make sure they are up to date and I even ran a virus scan I use McAfee....
  3. After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots: I am running Windows 11, and if I leave my PC hp victus 15fb0xxx idle for a few minutes, it reboots. If I use it continuously, it's fine. I have installed every system update and checked my drivers to make sure they are up to date and I even ran a virus scan I use McAfee....
  4. Losing internet connection a few seconds after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Losing internet connection a few seconds after startup: Hi,I've been experiencing a very weird issue for the past 24 hours: Whenever I turn my PC on, both WiFi and Ethernet simultaneously get into a "No internet" state after a few seconds.Here's what I've tried so far: Rebooting multiple timesChanging Ethernet cables and ports on...
  5. Losing internet connection a few seconds after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Losing internet connection a few seconds after startup: Hi,I've been experiencing a very weird issue for the past 24 hours: Whenever I turn my PC on, both WiFi and Ethernet simultaneously get into a "No internet" state after a few seconds.Here's what I've tried so far: Rebooting multiple timesChanging Ethernet cables and ports on...
  6. Losing internet connection a few seconds after startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows 10 PC Loses it's IPv6 Address after Reboot

Windows 10 PC Loses it's IPv6 Address after Reboot: My Windows 10 PC loses it's IPv6 Address after I turn off my PC or I reboot it. The only way to get it back is with the command: "netsh winsock reset" and a reboot afterwards.This has persisted through multiple Windows Updates. Other Devices on the same network have an IPv6...
  8. An active window lose focus unexpectedly after few minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An active window lose focus unexpectedly after few minutes: I'm on Windows 10 Pro 1803. I recently did a reinstall of Google Chrome as it was behaving strangely. From then (I think) I'm losing focus from an active window suddenly. A program is stealing the focus from my active window. I've run Microsoft Safety Scanner and nothing...
  9. Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity: Firstly - I do not know if this is a BSOD problem so apologies if I've posted incorrectly and please move my post in that case. I'm assuming it might be BSODs because sometimes we get a blue screen with unsmiley face (nothing like the data dumps that I used to see years ago),...
  10. IPv6 Looses Connectivity on Reboot

IPv6 Looses Connectivity on Reboot: Everytime I fully shut down my computer or reboot it, my IPv6 internet keeps dropping. I do have IPv6 from my ISP and I am using Google's public DNS servers for my IPv6. Everytime it looses connectivity, it still remains connected to the network but the connection then...