Windows 10: 1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!

Discus and support 1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there after no problem with all the various updates on Windows 1607 I've really got a strange one now Laptop (HP envy) has lost Wifi and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Sep 17, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!

Hi there

after no problem with all the various updates on Windows 1607 I've really got a strange one now

Laptop (HP envy) has lost Wifi and Internet connectivity on the Windows HOST - but a Linux VM I'm running on the same laptop has absolutely NO problem connecting to both 2.4 and 5 GHZ wifi networks.

The Wifi card in the computer is a bog standard Intel Dual Band Wifi adapter AC7265 -- been running fautlessly ever since the start of the W10 program.

1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!! [​IMG]

Not sure why this adapter should suddenly stop working - I've checked the VM and it hasn't "hogged" the device by disconnecting it from the host.

Reverting back to BEFORE latest updates were applied -- all working again.

(No changes of any kind were made to the Linux VM so it's not the VM that's at fault here).

Can't understand why this update should hose up a perfectly decent reliable piece of working hardware !!!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 17, 2016
  2. Schism082 Win User

No Internet in Hyper-V VM's

Hi, thanks for the reply. I got internet working. I had to create a wifi connection in "Virtual Switch Manager" and then go to the settings for each of my 2 VM's and tell it to use the wifi connection I created. Along the way I had to tell it to "share"
    connection with the Host. One of the VM's has a problem connecting and disconnecting but I will work on that and figure it out. If anyone has this problem try searching the internet and youtube has good videos explaining how to setup Internet in Hyper-V Manager.

Schism082, Sep 17, 2016
  3. Wi-Fi is on // No connection (after Windows Update)

On Oct 13 windows updated.

The update must've invited malware into my computer. I tried to run my antivirus after the update but it said there's no connection. Google chrome lost connection as well and then I got a pop-up saying that Windows Defender found and blocked a "Severe Trojan
    threat". So I deleted it and I still don't have connection... (weirdly) the only thing that works is the Explorer app. I have internet; the Wi-Fi works just fine but, everything else doesn't connect. It's something internal that must be causing
    the problem and it all started after the update.

P.S.

It also changed my network from private to public so I had to fix that.

And YES, I did allow these programs through the Firewall so that's not the problem.

No Internet, Sep 17, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Not knowing VMware, I was just wondering if it has a similar setting like this in Hyper-V:

When the option highlighted in above screenshot is selected in virtual switch properties, the virtual machines using this switch can connect to Internet but host has no Internet.

5. cereberus Win User
    May not be relevant but there has just been an update to vmware (12.5).

cereberus, Sep 17, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

VMware usually works by creating a Virtual Network adapter leaving the HOST to actually control the physical network adapter although like HYPER-V you can use the actual physical hardware too.

I had previously updated VMware -- no problem whatsoever.

The Linux system treats the actual Virtual Network adapter as a 1GB/s wired Ethernet connector even though the HOST is on Wifi.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 17, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Latest set of updates - re-applied and it's working again -- looked at the logs and couldn't see any error applying the updates last time !!!

Sometimes Windows just does that though

I think "It's the Ghost in the Machine" !!!! (can't remember the movie name that saying appeared in but it was good).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!! - Similar Threads - 1607 Wifi HOST

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux: Hi folks for those who have NAS (Linux) type servers / Linux VM's or Host Linux systems it's dead easy to set up jobs that run say every hour or whatever - use for this would be scheduled backups etc etc. I've got a simple 1 line example here of running an email to myself...
  4. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  5. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  6. Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host)

Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host): Hi there Anybody running various flavours of Linux out there whether as VM's or HOST - it seems to me that the most resilient file system is XFS. On the surprisingly very rare occasions if it breaks ( and when it did it was my fault --"User error" !!) it's easy enough to...
  7. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  8. Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host)

Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host): Hi there. some of you running Linux VM's might want to be able to UNRAR some RAR files directly in Linux without having to access the files on your Windows system and extract / view via 7Z or other programs. Other types of archives such as zip etc are usually managed by...
  9. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  10. VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed: Hi there. on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the menu. A reasonable fix for this (apart from checking that you have any Video drivers installed for your Host system) is to...