Windows 10: 1709 -> 1909 - update fails - no matter what I do.

Discus and support 1709 -> 1909 - update fails - no matter what I do. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys. This is my first question ever related to windows - over the many years I was able to do the research and solve the problem on my own - but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by micemincer, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 1709 -> 1909 - update fails - no matter what I do.

Hi guys.

This is my first question ever related to windows - over the many years I was able to do the research and solve the problem on my own - but this time it is a dead end.

I had windows 7 that I upgraded to windows 10 pro x64.
    It was updating itself to a certain point, around the end of year 2018 the major update was unable to install - got an error in the updater - so I postponed it.

I got back to it a couple of days ago and was on version 1703 - couldn't update further due to update error.

After fiddling with it, resetting updater etc (nothing worked) I unpaused or just turned off the postpone of the update.

This somehow unclogged it and updates got installed (mainly security updates for office package).

Now I am on version 1709 build 16299.1087 and cannot install any updates due to an error.

The story is always the same: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x800700c1"

What I did so far (everything failed)

1. Resetting udpater via script (clearing download folder etc)
    2. sfc /scannnow - three time with reboots - it finds some hash mismatches in some files
    3. tried DISM - didn't worked - get an error 87
    4. Repaired boot manager (something like that) with:
    5. bootrec /RebuildBcd - couldn't find a file so nothing was done
    6. bootrec /fixMbr - fixed
    7. bootrec /fixboot - couldn't find something or so - nothing was done
    8. Used media creation tool and tried upgrade from there - it got to an 88% (it always does) and update failed.
    9. Downloaded windows upgrade - same as above - 88% and failed
    10. Finally - I created iso image with media creation tool - and tried install/upgrade windows from there - same as above - 88% and failed.
    11. Scanned system with malwarebytes, adaware, superbug etc - nothing found except of some old ad tracking cookies

Somewhere in between I was trying to do it manually via update catalog but what I found was that any update that is newer than April 2019 is not applicable for my system - so I gave up on this.

So basically nothing works (except of formatting the drive and clean install but that is the last resort and nod very welcome )

Installing from windows update always goes the same way - it installs to 35% - then it stalls for like 20 min - then proceeds and fails at 88% with error:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x800700c1"

Windows tried to update itself today to version 1909 - and it failed with the same error at 88%:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 - Error 0x800700c1"

I posted this question on answers.microsoft.com - some guy helped a little and it apperas that Im lacking service stack - problem is that I don't know which KB - we deducted it from the setup diag log.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks and best regards to everyone,

Mac.

:)

micemincer, Nov 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary device not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Nov 22, 2019
  4. SOG75Mid Win User

1709 -> 1909 - update fails - no matter what I do.

Update 1709 continually fails

My machine continually attempts to install 1709. It has failed (at least) 15 times in exactly the same place on the update process.

At 54% it tries to restart the machine and never comes back. I have left it alone for many hours (overnight in one case) to no avail. When I power down the machine to get something working, it proceeds to 82% and then hangs again.

ASUS does not have my computer on the list of machines certified for 1709 so no surprise it fails - shouldn't windows update be smart enough to check vendor lists before applying a fix?

I have done all the fix steps that have been logged in other threads (clean boot; disable all USB connections; update all drivers; run SC and DISM) including the ISO solution.

I am beginning to think that the only prudent upgrade step left to me right now either involves Linux or Mac OSX.

How can I stop windows update from doing it over and over again. This is extremely frustrating and borders on Einstein's definition of insanity.

SOG75Mid, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

1709 -> 1909 - update fails - no matter what I do.

1. 1709 -> 1909 - update fails - no matter what I do. - Similar Threads - 1709 1909 update

2. 0x800703e6 Won't update no matter what I do.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x800703e6 Won't update no matter what I do.: Have tried every single method mentioned everywhere, even reinstalling Windows, which just fails. SCN commands all don't work, Check Disk as well. Nothing works. Tried a manual install of the update, doesn't work. Seriously, I have tried EVERYTHING. I'm losing my mind here....
  3. 0x800703e6 Won't update no matter what I do.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x800703e6 Won't update no matter what I do.: Have tried every single method mentioned everywhere, even reinstalling Windows, which just fails. SCN commands all don't work, Check Disk as well. Nothing works. Tried a manual install of the update, doesn't work. Seriously, I have tried EVERYTHING. I'm losing my mind here....
  4. 0x800703e6 Won't update no matter what I do.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. webcam not registering no matter what i do!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    webcam not registering no matter what i do!!: please help, this is very important! my job essentially requires me to have a good webcam and i cant access it right now!i run an MSI prestige on windows 10, i never had any problems with using my usb webcam until today, i even tried two different webcams and i still get the...
  6. BSOD no matter what i do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD no matter what i do: BSOD titles range from Kernel_security_check_failure, driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, and overran_stack Buffer. Posting one drive file link below. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqN--VqOO1f8unTcH2byidcg3twU?e=icztT4...
  7. Upgrade to 1909 to 1709

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to 1909 to 1709: Good morning, I am trying to track down the patch that'll convert 1709 to 1909. I have tried searching the microsoft site with no luck. Can anyone point me to the patch please? We can't jump to 2004 due to compatibility issues. submitted by /u/heyyouITguy [link]...
  8. Windows update 1709 to 1909 fails to install

Windows update 1709 to 1909 fails to install: Hello, A friend of mine wants to play minecraft windows 10 edition, but this is not possible because his windows version does not match the system requirements mentioned on the store page. No problem, just update windows, everything fine. Except, we couldn't update...
  9. No matter what I do, I can't get custom themes to work on 1909 1863.778

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No matter what I do, I can't get custom themes to work on 1909 1863.778: I've tried multiuxthemepatcher, uxthemepatcher and secureuxtheme. Everytime I go to put on a theme, it goes to the default windows 10 dark theme or only the text changes color. Is there something I'm not doing? submitted by /u/justaplainman78954 [link] [comments]...
  10. I cannot update from 1809 to 1909 no matter what I do

I cannot update from 1809 to 1909 no matter what I do: Does anyone have a solution? I've tried everything I can think of. I've used the Windows Update about four times now. I've used the Windows Update Assistant at least three times. Every time the download is done and the install starts but part way through everything is...