Windows 10: 1803 - 1809 Desktop corrupt, cannot repair even after Win 10 re-install

Discus and support 1803 - 1809 Desktop corrupt, cannot repair even after Win 10 re-install in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; had 1803, tried to update to 1909 on my SP4 but kept getting failures. Went to the MS website and installed the latest build. All went through fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by beershark, Oct 6, 2018.

1. beershark Win User

1803 - 1809 Desktop corrupt, cannot repair even after Win 10 re-install

had 1803, tried to update to 1909 on my SP4 but kept getting failures. Went to the MS website and installed the latest build. All went through fine but my desktop is totally corrupt when using the SP4 screen or external. Icons overlayed, cant move them around the screen. In File Explorer I can see the Desktop folder complete with shortcuts, files and folders.

On my desktop when I hover over an icon I get a highlighted area about 10 times the width of the icon, but same depth.

I have restarted computer many times, no change. Created a new test profile, the desktop there is as expected.

Lots of troubleshooting including deleting icon.db, DISM, SFC etc... restarting and still the same.

Checked for updates, nothing. Switched to Windows Insider faster build and checked for updates, nothing available.

Eventually decided to go to MS website and re-install Windows 10, all went through fine but desktop is still corrupt.

I really dont want to do a fresh install.

SP4 BLD 1809 OS 17763.1

1803 - 1809 Desktop corrupt, cannot repair even after Win 10 re-install 62146951-3409-4d5b-bf24-a86632f716d6?upload=true.jpg

:)

beershark, Oct 6, 2018
  2. WillBthr Win User

Windows 1809 Started the install on Surface Pro 4 but it stopped and the update screen closed by itself.

It started the download of 1809 and I walked away. Came back twenty minutes later and the update page was no longer open. Tried update again and it said it's updated.

It didn't complete the update or state the RESTART NOW.

Update history lists 1809 and states RESTART REQUIRED but since it didn't complete the install restarting does nothing.

So it thinks it's installed the 1809 update but it hasn't. It won't download 1809 again.

ABOUT say's it is 1803.

Suggestions?

WillBthr, Oct 6, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Skip 1803 and get 1809.

Hi SageHalo2983128,

Yes if you can manage to block 1803, when 1809 is released you can go straight to that version, there is no requirement to have 1803 to get 1809 . ..

DaveM121, Oct 6, 2018
  4. OlafBubel Win User

Windows 10 ISO 1803 and 1809 stuck at 4% or14% installation! Updates in Win 10 Pro X64 freezes!

I try to upgrade from 1709 to 1809 direkt is that possible?

Tried all solutions to upgrade inplace with MCT, USB stick,

btw. clean install with 1803 ISO from deskmodder.

But all fail and stuck, hang and freez the system every time i try

to upgrade, to 1803 or 1809.

It treat on updates and specialy cumulative updates my system like

a virus.

Startmenü beginn to hang, explorer crash on updates nothing goes

anymore Hardreset is the only solution and deactivating updates over

gpedit and services.

Have no chance to update or upgrade Win 10 Pro on my desktop specs:

I5 3570K Watercooler, Raid 0 Stripeset with 2x SSDs and

GA-H77-DS3H Gigabyte MB, 32GB RAM DDR 3 at 1333Mhz.

Made also a Bios reset! My Bios is the newset F10 from year 2013.

that Gigabyte make at last but no support anymore for that MB.

I phoned to Gigybyte and they say H77 Chip is not official supportet

from Windows 10!

But all tests before i upgrade to windows 10 in year 2015 suggest

your hardware is compatible. Lifetimeplan from Windows 10 is real

cracy thing. Older HW has no chance anymore! Force us to buy new

PC`s!!!

Checked all HW with ultimate boot cd. Try to repair the system over

DISM Restore Health, chkdsk /f /r, try repair Windows updates over

troubleshooting tools, SFC scannow etc...

Made a msconfig start only with ms services, switched to admin account

tried also to solve it there, but no chance. Deinstalled Avast.

Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the

files. Reboot download all updates again and again! Freez and Fail!

Update assistant from MS website fails, too. Sympthom is it start downloading

but as soon it is downloadet and try to install systemfreez at 4 - 10 - 16 %.

Today i clean my PC inside from the dust it was not so much normal. Make

tests with ultimate boot cd checked Ram an HW checks are all o.k.!

Is my MB Chip H77 not supported anymore on Win10 with 1803 & 1809?

I tried to find or get more informations about it? Or is there a problem with

windows 10 support on my older Ivy Bridge CPU 3570K?

Why this is such a pain in the ass for me and my desktop maschine? Real #

make me mad inside!

I real pissed off from Windows 10 Updates now on my desktop, because

nothing helps. I tried all things & a clean install also with 1803.

Clean install stuck with 1803 on 14% hangs and freez my system

unbelivable! Stucking all the time with updates and clean install.

Tried also other ISO`s. Same story!

But if i restore my backup with win 10 pro 1709 Build 16299 last

build all is good so long as i don`t make any updates or feature-

upgrades. Real strange, it sucks so much!

With my Acer Laptop second PC, no problems with I7 Skylake

Processor no problems at all to upgrade or update same system

Win 10 Pro x64 1803.

Updates runs on Laptop without problems it have a newer chipset

and HW config also DDR4 16GB, M.2 SSD.

WTF is wrong with Win 10 Updates on my desktop workstation

machine?

That no updates anymore installable without freez the Windows 10

Pro X64 System i have an desktop? :-/ If i make no updates all works!

No freezes or anything.

Stupid Updates on Windows 10 **** only my hole HW and Maschine!

Drivers are all up to date!

Any suggestion or help or information that help to solve my problem

are very welcome.

Peace

Olaf

OlafBubel, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

1. 1803 - 1809 Desktop corrupt, cannot repair even after Win 10 re-install - Similar Threads - 1803 1809 Desktop

2. Win 10 activation after a re-install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 activation after a re-install.: I needed to replace the HDD and Memory of a desktop Dell computer.I know that the license of the WIN 7 Pro now WIN 10 is embedded in the machine. Why is it that when the OS was reinstalled, the license did not get activated automatically. I tried to enter the license through...
  3. Corrupted files present even after full re install. Is it a problem?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupted files present even after full re install. Is it a problem?: So I had a malware problem I am not even sure if its malware so help me with this that happened before which led me to do a complete re install of Windows 10 just to be safe. Basically my antivirus Kaspersky disappeared when I opened my computer one day and also there were...
  4. Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter

Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter: My laptop has been running slowly for a while - McAfee and Malware Bytes do not turn up anything, so I have decided to re-install Windows to see if that helps, as it has been through a lot of update cycles. I followed this:...
  5. Cannot install win 10 on desktop

Cannot install win 10 on desktop: I just build a desktop basing on an MSI desktop. It has Z370 Gaming Trident X motherboard, with MSI's 2070 GPU, and I just make change to Intel I7-9700f CPU and Samsung 860 EVO SSD. Now my problem is, when I tried to start the desktop with an USB drive will Windows 10...
  6. Startup crash in 1809 after disk corruption repair

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup crash in 1809 after disk corruption repair: This one will make Shawn's eyes roll *Wink. I originally double-booted Win 10 with Win 7SE, the latter on vol. 1 as C:, and when 10 came out I installed it on volume 4 (F:) because drives D: (2) & E: (3) then were non-O/S drives, with E: becoming the fossil boneyard from the...
  7. Cannot install PGP Desktop after Windows update 1809

Cannot install PGP Desktop after Windows update 1809: Compared to previous Windows update version, re-installation of PGP desktop was working. Please help to check how to re-install the application asap, it's necessary to use. Thanks....
  8. Win 10 1803 to 1809 update

Win 10 1803 to 1809 update: Good day one and all. My Desktop computer running Win 10 updated from version 1803 to 1809 a while back, but my laptop/notebook running Win 10 version 1803 (As of a Check for updates today 15 Nov 2018 6:30 AM) still hasn't updated to 1809. I'm assuming the update 1803...
  9. upgrade from WIN 10 version 1803 to WIN 10 1809

upgrade from WIN 10 version 1803 to WIN 10 1809: Sir I tried to upgrade from WIN 10 Version 1803 to WIN 10 1809 I am getting error code 0xc1900201 and message "we could not update the system reserved partition". How to fix this error pl. guide....
  10. problem after installation of win 10 1803

problem after installation of win 10 1803: after the installation of win 10 1803 appear in my laptop this button: [ATTACH] I don't understand don't download nothing and slowing the normal function of laptop. How is this button????...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1809 corrupt

2. 1809 corrupt

3. reinstall repair 1809