Windows 10: 1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in...

Discus and support 1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; There is a bug that I have confirmed on Reddit that exists in 1803. Within the Settings App there is no option to add new file types nor protocols to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kev Feathers, Oct 7, 2018.

1. 1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in...

There is a bug that I have confirmed on Reddit that exists in 1803. Within the Settings App there is no option to add new file types nor protocols to assign to a default application. Without this option Windows 10 1803 cannot be configured to automatically open unrecognised file types and protocols.

Attached is a screenshot showing there is no option to create new protocols, the same issue exists for application file types. A Reddit user confirmed that this issue also exists on a fresh build straight from the 1803 ISO from Microsoft's website. There is no Windows 10 1803 update that addresses this problem so there is no need to check if the installation is up to date. The problem requires Windows 10 developers to intervene, can you please report this issue to the development team?

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in... e955b02c-8648-4701-b58a-829c8093cb50?upload=true.png

:)

Kev Feathers, Oct 7, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

There is no installed app for this type of file or protocol - Windows 10

There is a bug in Windows 10 when setting default apps for file types or protocols.

The quickest way to get it done is to click the text Set defaults by app at the bottom of the Default Apps Settings Page (as seen on your screen capture)

This will bring up a window with a list of all installed applications on your system

Click on an application, then you have 2 options:

• Set this program as default - this will set all appropriate file types to the selected application
    • Choose defaults for this program - then you can set individual file types to open with the selected application

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in... 64d8542b-0894-4dc9-9ce2-5ed54ec1ce83.jpg

Click Save and OK

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Assign a new version of an application to open a file

Hi,

Follow the steps below to set the default programs and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on
      Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Callender Win User

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in...

Can't set default application of my choice

You want to set file associations. So click "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program" and click on the "Current Default" column heading to sort by program name. Scroll down to where your current image viewer is listed and then associate file types one at a time with your new program.

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in... [​IMG]

Having said that most image viewers have the option to associate file types somewhere within the options.

Examples:

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in... [​IMG]

Callender, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in...

1. 1803 bug: No option to add new file types nor protocols for default applications in... - Similar Threads - 1803 bug option

2. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  3. "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Choose Defaults by file type" no .pdf option: Hey, got Acrobat installed but cant set it as default app to open pdf files.i have been in setting- default - "Choose Defaults by file type" ..., but there is no .pdf extension only .pdfxml right click on pdf file ---- NO OPTION TO CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMRight click pdf file -...
  4. How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?: Hello,In mid-October 2021, I saved some files that were supposed to be Word documents and text documents, but they saved as ppt, srt, and DOC files. When I open them in the only app that'll actually show me something Notepad, it looks like someone vomited from 1 km high, and...
  5. How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?: Hello,In mid-October 2021, I saved some files that were supposed to be Word documents and text documents, but they saved as ppt, srt, and DOC files. When I open them in the only app that'll actually show me something Notepad, it looks like someone vomited from 1 km high, and...
  6. How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?

7. How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type: Hi, I wish to change "jpg" files type to open in Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor but Windows no longer offer the choice to navigate to my PC "PhotoshopElementEditor.exe" file. How can I change this? Thanks,...
  8. Removing the default application for a file type in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing the default application for a file type in Windows 10: I forgot to uncheck 'Always use this app to open .dbf files' and now my .dbf files are associated with Notepad. This is useless, obviously. I would like to just remove the .dbf's associated application instead of change it. It is so easy to accidentally set a default...
  9. Not possible to define a default application by type of file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not possible to define a default application by type of file: Good morning, since a few weeks, every time I try to open an excel, word or illustrator file (just as examples) I get the following error: [ATTACH] When I try to go to set the default app by file type setting, I see that the .ai file has no application assoviated with...
  10. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists: Hi guys, Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on: 1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it doesn't show up for a current user? I don't want to create a new user account for that even if its possible that way. 2. How to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wbx there is no installed app for the type

2. there is no installed app for this type of file