Windows 10: 1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.

Discus and support 1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've tried doing it the same way I've done in the past - right click, open with, check the box to "always use this program." It opens in the requested... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PotatoSalad, Oct 9, 2018.

1. 1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.

I've tried doing it the same way I've done in the past - right click, open with, check the box to "always use this program." It opens in the requested program, but doesn't change the default. Okay. Fine. I go into settings to choose default apps by file type. Scroll down to .log, and change it to vim. It doesn't register. It doesn't change from notepad. Okay. Try this another way. Go into set defaults by app. Vim doesn't even show up there.

Is there somewhere I set this in the registry or something?

:)

PotatoSalad, Oct 9, 2018

2. Globally setting default file type associations

Group policy would be the better way to go but I don't know if file associations are in there.

This is what my server has in that key:
    Code: [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Extensions] "ini"="notepad.exe ^.ini" "txt"="notepad.exe ^.txt" "wtx"="notepad.exe ^.wtx"[/quote]

FordGT90Concept, Oct 9, 2018
  3. 1803 problem with default app settings

I made a similar post a few weeks ago but there have been a couple of updates since the 1803 roll out. There are slight changes, but problem is still there.

My defaults issue started with 1803. I used Settings>Apps>Default Apps> to reset the defaults for 3 apps:

• Browser→ Opera
    • PDF viewer→ Acrobat
    • Photos→ Irfanview
    Every time I reboot, the browser & pdf viewer defaults revert to Edge. The Photos default reverts to the Windows photo viewer. When I reset my choices in Settings>Apps>Default Apps> my programs run as expected. The file icons change to the new apps,
    & files open in the right program. Everything is fine till I reboot & they get reset again to the Windows defaults. When my apps are no longer set as default apps, I can launch them from shortcuts & they perform as expected. The only issue is the defaults
    reverting to Windows apps on reboot.

I've used these defaults for years with no problem. The settings were fine before 1803. I don't know but I don't think it's a compatibility issue since the programs still run as they should. What happened? Is there a way to fix it?

grendel_won, Oct 9, 2018
  4. nuva Win User

1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.

Snippet C#: INI Files

This code is great, i'm going to use this in one of my programmes *Big Grin 1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files. :D

is it possible to make a list of all sections in the ini files?

nuva, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files.

1. 1803 - Can't set vim as default app for .txt, .log, or .ini files. - Similar Threads - 1803 Can't set

2. Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I set a default App for .bat files?: I have read this question, as I also use vim for my editinghttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-default-app-for-filetypes-not-listed/b01cb589-f8e2-4186-a0f6-02ee0f15babeand searched and you can change the default open app for .bat files but have...
  3. i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor: HI, i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor by accident and now there isn't .txt at the end of a text file when i make a new one so if i want to make python code i would need to replace the .txt with .py but i cant do that anymore does anybody know how to fix...
  4. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  5. Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file: Hi. I am not able to set choose default apps by file type fot .txt there they show wordpad by default. i want to set word to open .txt fype but not able to change & i also have one error show when i open word file and that error is "Microsoft Word 16.0: We're sorry but...
  6. Setting Defaults by App or File

Setting Defaults by App or File: I recently bought a new 1Tb SSD drive to use as my system drive, I have been trying to associate opening of xml files in either Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 I have seen many "Solutions" through Google however none seem to work for me. The "Set defaults by app" doesn't show...
  7. Can't set default app for java and txt files

Can't set default app for java and txt files: I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also not changing. I tried with java also, but it is not changing. Most of the apps it is changing. Even after changing to...
  8. Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt: The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with the standard (and inferior) Notepad. To use TED Notepad, I am forced to invoke it manually every time I open a .txt file. A...
  9. can't set default apps

can't set default apps: Hi, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on both my pc and laptop (downloaded the install tool, it installed 1803, not 1809, winver says compile 17134.376) and now I can't set default apps on both machines. nothing happens if I click a file and choose "open with" and...
  10. Can't set default app for .xml files

Can't set default app for .xml files: I'm using Windows 10, version 1803. I'm trying to set Notepad++ as my default editor for .xml files, without success. I tried: - Open with ..., "Choose another app" and then check the "Always use the app to open .xml file" checkbox. It opens just once in Notepad++, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1803 cant set default app

2. windows 17134.376 cannot set default app notepad

3. windows update 1803 will not let you choose default apps