Windows 10: 1803 update made fonts look silly

Discus and support 1803 update made fonts look silly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just got updated to version 1803 and the appearance of windows and menus has changed quite dramatically. I have a Lenovo laptop with a high dpi display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AdrianM, Oct 27, 2018.

1. AdrianM Win User

1803 update made fonts look silly

Just got updated to version 1803 and the appearance of windows and menus has changed quite dramatically.
    I have a Lenovo laptop with a high dpi display so have been using a display scale of 200% to make it readable. This has been fine in all previous versions of Windows but after the most recent update everything is "out of proportion". Previously, right-click menus, Title bars, windows contents were alll pretty consistent in size. Now the explorer windows, most right click menus etc. are comically large while control panel windows, browser and app windows are how they used to be. This includes the right-click menus over apps (between task view and hidden icons) so not all menus are borked.

Somehow, the font also looks different with lines "squashed up". Display Scaling is the only adjustment available now so I don't know how to restore things to how they were.

Screenshots for 100, 150, 200%:

1803 update made fonts look silly [​IMG]

:)

AdrianM, Oct 27, 2018
  2. NeoSOS Win User

Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, Oct 27, 2018
  3. FONTS

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to follow the instruction provided below and check.

Step 1:

• Download the font type you want to install.
    • Right click and click on install.
    • Check if you are able to view the fonts in documents.
    Or

Step 2:

• Download the font type you want to install.
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Click on fonts.
    • Now, drag and drop the downloaded fonts in the font’s folder.

Hope this information helps. If you have any queries, let us know. Will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 27, 2018
  4. 1803 update made fonts look silly

Bolded Font on Internet Browsers

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by a Windows 10 update that changed your font settings automatically. If you recently updated your operating system, we suggest that you follow these steps to see if the font will go back to normal:

• Type font in the search bar.
    • Select Change Font settings.
    • Click Restore default font settings.

Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Dennis Mop, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

1803 update made fonts look silly

1. 1803 update made fonts look silly - Similar Threads - 1803 update made

2. The font looks very strange

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The font looks very strange: This is my screen capture of an app, and the font at the bottom part is literally strange against others'. I have not found anyone has the same issue with me.I have the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" option on and I tried adjusting "ClearTypes" but it didn't work.All text on...
  3. Font's look pixelated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Font's look pixelated: On every program the font looks weird. I have a Nvidia GPU if that has anything to do with it^ thats what it looks likes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fonts-look-pixelated/4c1f3dd4-2fdf-4b31-9b5c-9233a7f2ccf9
  4. Font's look pixelated

in Windows 10 Customization
    Font's look pixelated: On every program the font looks weird. I have a Nvidia GPU if that has anything to do with it^ thats what it looks likes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fonts-look-pixelated/4c1f3dd4-2fdf-4b31-9b5c-9233a7f2ccf9
  5. Font's look pixelated

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Fonts look different

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fonts look different: [ATTACH] So basically, the fonts in Windows 10 can look different for some reason. I was voice calling with friend of mine and he shared his screen, and his file explorer font looks so much cleaner than what I have. The folder icons also look smaller and sleeker. Is there...
  7. Silly Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Silly Question: I do not see how after for example measure a distance, getting back to how you drag the map around on the screen \Thanks for the help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/silly-question/762362be-9da6-4d1c-829c-9ebd51db9887
  8. Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly

Version 1803 changed display appearance - fonts now look silly: Just got updated to version 1803 and the appearance of windows and menus has changed quite dramatically. I have a Lenovo laptop with a high dpi display so have been using a display scale of 200% to make it readable. This has been fine in all previous versions of Windows but...
  9. Weird fonts following 1803 Insider Update

Weird fonts following 1803 Insider Update: Good day, Recently noticed that some sections of a settings menu (Language, Delivery Optimization, all over the place, really) contain weird, yet readable fonts. Please see attached pics. Windows is installed in English (Canada) with Russian (Russia) for non-Unicode....
  10. Desktop Icon Font 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon Font 1803: I was using the following registry hack to change the font and it's not changing now. I like a larger font & bold. Can anyone tell me what has changed ? I use it with a solid blue screen. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00; Created by: Shawn Brink; Created on: February...