Windows 10: 1803 upgrade removed photo app from start page

Discus and support 1803 upgrade removed photo app from start page in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently purchased a HP refurbished laptop. I was told it was about a year old. After activation, the 1803 creators upgrade was downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Johnnyallen, Oct 13, 2018.

1. 1803 upgrade removed photo app from start page

I recently purchased a HP refurbished laptop. I was told it was about a year old.
    After activation, the 1803 creators upgrade was downloaded and installed.
    I noticed that the Windows default photo app disappeared from the start screen. It's not listed in settings-apps-apps& and features. It is in settings-default apps but reset doesn't do anything.
    I can launch the app by going to file explorer and double click a photo. The app comes up and I can navigate as before.
    But, again, it is nowhere on the start screen or in the alphabetical list.
    Whas up with dat?

:)

Johnnyallen, Oct 13, 2018
  2. robinpe Win User

Missing apps: Store, People, Photos, Games & Camera on upgrading to 10

Thanks for replying spunk. That's the 'alphabetical' list I was referring to, none of these apps are in that 'All apps' list. Any more suggestions?

robinpe, Oct 13, 2018
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done 1803 upgrade removed photo app from start page :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 13, 2018
  4. 1803 upgrade removed photo app from start page

WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

1803 upgrade removed photo app from start page

1. 1803 upgrade removed photo app from start page - Similar Threads - 1803 upgrade removed

2. Photos app are not starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app are not starting: I am unable to open Photos app. The app didn't start error message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-are-not-starting/b663a5f7-a6a9-49d4-80b2-48ae8c5d4293
  3. Photos from start page vs pictures from Explore Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos from start page vs pictures from Explore Files: What is the difference between the Photos in my Start Page and pictures in Windows Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-from-start-page-vs-pictures-from-explore/fefb38e7-d6d2-4a6b-b1cb-7f93fae7b0b0
  4. Photos from start page vs pictures from Explore Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos from start page vs pictures from Explore Files: What is the difference between the Photos in my Start Page and pictures in Windows Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-from-start-page-vs-pictures-from-explore/fefb38e7-d6d2-4a6b-b1cb-7f93fae7b0b0
  5. Photos from start page vs pictures from Explore Files

6. Cannot upgrade from 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot upgrade from 1803: Hi Everyone, I'm profoundly annoyed by anything related to upgrading. I wish I could just use my computer and not be constantly worried by the OS sniffing in the background. That's why I used Sledgehammer on my laptop as soon as I fired it the first time. Now I'm stuck...
  7. Remove Photo from Windows Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Photo from Windows Start Menu: This is a new computer with zero photos in the album(s). I took a photo to use for trying on virtual eyeglasses at my computer, deleted the photo, and now the thumbnail still exists within the Windows Start Menu. How can I remove it? Thanks! I ended up downloading a random...
  8. Photo app will not start

Photo app will not start: When I click on the photos app, it opens briefly and then it closes seconds later without any warning. The same thing happens when I plug my phone in. I have not been able to upload photos and videos from my phone to my computer as a result. This is a default app. Please help...
  9. Shortcut to add/remove photos from favorites in Photos app.

Shortcut to add/remove photos from favorites in Photos app.: Hello, I've been using the photos app to pick photos since I don't want to import 50,000 images in lightroom. My question is if there is a shortcut to add/remove from favourites? Tried F, obviously didn't work. Looked around the web - nothing useful. Cheers, V Petkov...
  10. Removing apps from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing apps from the Start Menu: There are a number of Apps on my Start Menu that I cannot use. I would like to remove them from the start menu to reduce clutter. I was able to remove OneDrive but none of the others, I'm not asking how to uninstall them because I know Microsoft would NEVER allow that....