Windows 10: 1803 Upgrade Won't Install via Media Creation Tool

Discus and support 1803 Upgrade Won't Install via Media Creation Tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got a PC stuck on 1511 that just refuses to install upgrades to more current versions. I'm 100% certain the hardware is supported as I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gohanman, Aug 15, 2018.

1. gohanman Win User

1803 Upgrade Won't Install via Media Creation Tool

I've got a PC stuck on 1511 that just refuses to install upgrades to more current versions. I'm 100% certain the hardware is supported as I have several other part-for-part identical PCs all running 1803 without issue. After a long time fighting with Windows Update itself trying to figure out why it won't work, I tried updating using the Media Creation Tool instead. This fails too and gives no real reason why.

This is what happens when I run setup.exe from a USB drive imaged w/ the Media Creation Tool:

1. It asks to run updates. There's a progress meter and this all seems to work fine.
    2. There's a license agreement that I accept.
    3. There's another progress meter on a purple screen. This seems to complete without any problem and the PC reboots.
    4. Now there's a blue screen with another progress meter. This runs for a while and then the PC reboots again.
    5. Finally there's a black screen that says restoring the previous version of Windows and that takes me back to 1511 again.

Is there a log somewhere that will tell me what's actually going wrong here?

:)

gohanman, Aug 15, 2018

2. WIN 10 1803 Creators Update with Media Creation Tool and Skipping 1709

A. Yes, use the Media Creation tool/ISO file.

B&C.Media Creation tool would save everything. however, if it could not save anything, it would not proceed.

Updating to Windows 10 1803, the latest feature update should resolve your issue.

The fastest way to get the upgrade is through Media creation tool or ISO file.

Please download Media Creation Tool from the link below and select Upgrade this PC at the first screen.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

All steps, including upgrading using ISO file and Media creation tool, are covered here:

http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2018/04/upgrade...

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Sep 25, 2018
  3. gohanman Win User

I've got a PC stuck on 1511 that just refuses to install upgrades to more current versions. I'm 100% certain the hardware is supported as I have several other part-for-part identical PCs all running 1803 without issue. After a long time fighting with Windows
    Update itself trying to figure out why it won't work, I tried updating using the Media Creation Tool instead. This fails too and gives no real reason why.

This is what happens when I run setup.exe from a USB drive imaged w/ the Media Creation Tool:

1. It asks to run updates. There's a progress meter and this all seems to work fine.
    2. There's a license agreement that I accept.
    3. There's another progress meter on a purple screen. This seems to complete without any problem and the PC reboots.
    4. Now there's a blue screen with another progress meter. This runs for a while and then the PC reboots again.
    5. Finally there's a black screen that says restoring the previous version of Windows and that takes me back to 1511 again.

Is there a log somewhere that will tell me what's actually going wrong here?

gohanman, Sep 25, 2018
  4. 1803 Upgrade Won't Install via Media Creation Tool

Updating through Media Creation tool

You can upgrade to Windows 10, 1803 whenever you want irrespective of the fact when you upgrade to Windows 10 from 7. Apart from Media Creation Tool windows also offers Upgrade Assistant.

You should upgrade to 1803 manually by following below steps.

You can go to
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Click Update now to update to 1803 through Upgrade Assistant.

OR

You can download the latest Windows 10 package from this link (media creation tool) and follow the instructions there to upgrade. Use the very simple instructions given under Using this tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10

E for Excel, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

1. 1803 Upgrade Won't Install via Media Creation Tool - Similar Threads - 1803 Upgrade Won't

2. The media creation tool won't open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The media creation tool won't open.: I'm attempting to perform a clean install of windows 11, but the media creation tool won't open even if I run it as an admin.My main boot drive recently crashed, so I picked up an old disk of windows 7 I had laying around -- I lost the key ages ago, so I figured I'd just go...
  3. Media creation tool won't load

Media creation tool won't load: Hey how are you I put my new pc together and I can't get it to boot the file it won't read the file no matter the mode I put it I tried to download it in 32 bit and fats but neither is working ND I just can't wrap my head around it I'm running a tomahawk b550 and a ryzen 7...
  4. Media Creation Tool Not Installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing: I downloaded Media Creation Tool to a 32 bit Windows 7 Professional OS the laptop is capable of being 64 bit. When I tried to install program, I got an error code: 0x80072F8F-0x20000. I have another laptop that cam with Windows 10, so I need to make a bootable USB because my...
  5. Media Creation Tool Not Installing

Media Creation Tool Not Installing: I downloaded Media Creation Tool to a 32 bit Windows 7 Professional OS the laptop is capable of being 64 bit. When I tried to install program, I got an error code: 0x80072F8F-0x20000. I have another laptop that cam with Windows 10, so I need to make a bootable USB because my...
  6. media Creation Tool won't run

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    media Creation Tool won't run: Hi gentlemen, I am nursing a new laptop again, with win 10 v.1909 on it. After running into problems with HELLO and Passwords ,I thought I had cured those problems by a system reset. But after a few deadends, an upgrade (which my pc would not acknowledge) to 2004 was...
  7. Media Creation tool won't install

Media Creation tool won't install: I have been experiencing an issue while trying to install the media creation tool for some time now. Each time I attempt at installing it, it gives me an error saying that they are unsure of what the issue is, and gives me a code 0x80200013 - 0x90019. There are a couple...
  8. Media Creation Tool for Upgrades

Media Creation Tool for Upgrades: Quick question about the use of the Media creation tool. I am currently using MCT1903 on a USB to upgrade my PC to windows 10. I didn't turn the USB into a bootable device; I just put the tool on it. I am wondering if on the "Downloading Windows 10" screen of the...
  9. 1803 media creation tool

1803 media creation tool: is the 1803 media creation tool available? after a forced wipe and reload, I find that 1809 and 1903 cause my games to be laggy and unplayable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1803-media-creation-tool/cd3888e2-0741-4fd5-8928-6eabcb27f6d2
  10. Installing Windows 10 via Media Creation Tool

Installing Windows 10 via Media Creation Tool: I have a copy of 10 reserved, but what if I lose my patience and download an ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 I don't have a 10 product key yet, so how would that work? 9582