Windows 10: [1809] Right after going to sleep, pc goes out of stand-by but screen stays black

Discus and support [1809] Right after going to sleep, pc goes out of stand-by but screen stays black in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This problem arose as soon as the major upgrade from 1803 to 1809 was installed. I put in stand-by (sleep) the PC but it turns back on right away.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by riccardo.l, Mar 1, 2019.

1. [1809] Right after going to sleep, pc goes out of stand-by but screen stays black

This problem arose as soon as the major upgrade from 1803 to 1809 was installed.

I put in stand-by (sleep) the PC but it turns back on right away. However, the screen does not, and keyboard and mouse seems not working (not so much I could do anyway). I am forced to hard shutdown, or switch off every time.

My hope is that the issue may involve other people, and to find a workaround.

:)

riccardo.l, Mar 1, 2019

2. Windows Sleep/Stand By Issues

Hi Joythar K, I did the steps you provided with no help. And no issues where found in the power troubleshooter. When my pc goes into stand by/sleep
    mode and I go to wake it up the screen stays black. I have to hold the power button down to turn off my computer and turn it back on to get it to go back to my desktop. The issue only happens when my computer goes to stand by/sleep mode. This issue started
    after the last windows 10 update. -Shawn

ShawnDCarter6921, Mar 1, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Screen goes black

Hi Kris,

It is possible that your screen goes black may be due to a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when it turns black?
    • Have you tried checking if the sleep mode is turned on/off?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you perform the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot blank/black screen errors. This will provide you instruction when you see a black screen before signing in to Windows 10 and when you see a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 1, 2019
  4. PJS
    pjs Win User

[1809] Right after going to sleep, pc goes out of stand-by but screen stays black

PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock

I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three monitors, counting the laptop's own screen - I usually keep my laptop closed, however.)
    Since I am at work I always lock the screen when I leave my computer. (I use the windows+L shortcut to lock the screen.) This all works fine.

However, after about a minute the computer goes into sleep mode / hibernation. At least I think it does, because the two monitors goes black - and it takes a few seconds to "wake up the system" (the monitors doesn't come back to life immediately when I press a key on the keyboard / move the mouse, as they would if a screen saver was active.)
    This is very annoying if I step away from my computer for only a short while (like going to the bathroom.)

Here's what I want:
    With power (not running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 15 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

Without power (running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 5 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

My best bet is that this is some sort of power saving scheme thingie, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Can someone please help me with a step-by-step guide to configure my system the way I want? Thank you.

Thema:

[1809] Right after going to sleep, pc goes out of stand-by but screen stays black

1. [1809] Right after going to sleep, pc goes out of stand-by but screen stays black - Similar Threads - 1809 Right going

2. Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.: Hi. So I have a recently purchased Asus TUF A-15 Gaming laptop with Nvidia RTX 3050 and Ryzen 7 with pre-installed Windows 11. It was working fine until recently when I updated the windows. Following the update, the screen goes black immediately after login but power stays on...
  3. Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black immediately after log in but power stays on.: Hi. So I have a recently purchased Asus TUF A-15 Gaming laptop with Nvidia RTX 3050 and Ryzen 7 with pre-installed Windows 11. It was working fine until recently when I updated the windows. Following the update, the screen goes black immediately after login but power stays on...
  4. PC do not sleep or Hibernate and the screen goes black and BSOD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC do not sleep or Hibernate and the screen goes black and BSOD.: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 When I put windows to sleep or Hibernate it goes to BSOD , i can't see it because screen is black, when i checked the BlueScreenView app ,it shows that i had BSOD at that time when i put windows to sleep or hibernate. BSOD Dump files WeTransfer 176160
  5. Screen goes black after sleep,Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen goes black after sleep,Win 10: I have an older refurb desktop with Windows 10. In the last 6 months or so, whenever I wake it up from sleep mode, the monitor comes on showing my desktop, but then goes black. The light on the monitor indicates that the monitor is turned on. If I turn it off and back on, the...
  6. Extended monitor stays black after coming out of sleep, power on or hibernation.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extended monitor stays black after coming out of sleep, power on or hibernation.: Hi, I have two monitors connected to my laptop. One is connected directly to the laptop’s VGA port. The Second one is connected to the USB 3.0 port via a USB 3.0 to VGA adapter. They were working fine before until about two months ago. Now when I turn on the laptop, the...
  7. Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode: Simply put, every time I close my laptop lid enters sleep mode and reopen it, the screen stays black. I try waking it up by using my mouse and keyboard but nothing works. I have to do a force shutoff in order to get the screen working again. All of the windows updates are...
  8. Laptop screen stays black after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop screen stays black after sleep: I have an HP Envy x360 2-in-1 laptop that's about 2 years old now. Over the past few weeks I've had an odd problem where frequently after it goes to sleep I'll wake it up and it seems to come awake but the screen stays black. I can see the power light comes on, the fan spins...
  9. Screen stays black after opening lid/sleep

Screen stays black after opening lid/sleep: My Dell Inspiron is set to sleep when the lid is closed. When I open the lid, the keys light up, and the power button lights up, but the screen stays black and I have to hold the power button to shut the computer down and turn it back on. The computer is up to date with all...
  10. [1809] Right after going to sleep, pc doesn't stand-by but screen stays black

[1809] Right after going to sleep, pc doesn't stand-by but screen stays black: This problem arose as soon as the major upgrade from 1803 to 1809 was installed. I put in stand-by (sleep) the PC but it turns back on right away. However, the screen does not, and keyboard and mouse seems not working (not so much I could do anyway). I am forced to hard...