Windows 10: 1809 update Data Loss

Discus and support 1809 update Data Loss in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Perhaps my observations on the SB2 15", win 10, 1809 (!!!) can help with solving the "data loss problems with the update. 1 I have had no data loss... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Patrick B.Ludwig, Oct 9, 2018.

1. 1809 update Data Loss

Perhaps my observations on the SB2 15", win 10, 1809 (!!!) can help with solving the "data loss problems with the update.

1 I have had no data loss or other hiccups with the update.

2 I had redirected the folders "pictures", "music", "videos" (but not "documents") from my C:\Users folder respectively to
    E:\username\pictures2
    E:\username\music2
    E:\username\videos2
    E being a permanent SDXC card

3 This redirection was accomplished by modifying the "properties" of the individual folders, namely by explicitly specifying the new target path.

4 1809 has expanded it's "properties" app, so that the system-storage-storage options tab includes more redirections, for example:
    Store new pictures to - C: Main Storage or E: secondary storage. Default is C:.

5 Upon trying this out - redirecting "new pictures" to E: - a new User Folder was created with my name on E: and in this, a new "pictures" folder, while removing the original "pictures" from the original user folder on C:. The originally redirected pictures remained on E: in their folder pictures2 (see point 2)
    There is obviously a storage conflict between individual specs of user data folders and this new redirection feature in properties.

6 Without individual redirection it could be, that the original user files in the user folder were just replaced by empty folders when updating.

7 I mentioned not redirecting the "documents" folder. This had remained on C: in the user folder.
    When I checked "documents", the folder was still there, including all sub-folders. But without any files! It seems to have been replaced by just the empty folder structure.

Conclusion: Could it be that the new feature of redirecting user files performed these replacements wrongly due to an error in specifying the full path in the update routines - forgetting to transfer data with the folder structure?

:)

Patrick B.Ludwig, Oct 9, 2018
  2. WillBthr Win User

Windows 1809 Started the install on Surface Pro 4 but it stopped and the update screen closed by itself.

It started the download of 1809 and I walked away. Came back twenty minutes later and the update page was no longer open. Tried update again and it said it's updated.

It didn't complete the update or state the RESTART NOW.

Update history lists 1809 and states RESTART REQUIRED but since it didn't complete the install restarting does nothing.

So it thinks it's installed the 1809 update but it hasn't. It won't download 1809 again.

ABOUT say's it is 1803.

Suggestions?

WillBthr, Oct 9, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Crucial Releases "000F" Firmware Update for M4 SSD, Enhances Power-Loss Protection

Crucial is known for issuing firmware updates for its M4 series SSDs that bring significant improvements, be it the 0009 update that introduced performance improvements by as much as 20%, or the 0309 update that fixed a lot of BSOD instability issues. Introduced on Wednesday, the newest firmware update, "000F", introduces the following changes:
    • Improved compatibility with certain SAS expanders and peripheral RAID cards.
    • Improved throughput stability under extremely heavy workloads.
    • Improved data protection in the event of unexpected, asynchronous power loss.
    With higher performance, improved OS-level stability, and now with higher throughput stability and improved data protection in the event of power loss, Crucial M4 is closer to being the perfect consumer SSD.

DOWNLOAD: Crucial M4 000F Firmware Update Windows 7 Updater Utility, Manual Boot File, Instructions

btarunr, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

1809 update Data Loss

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Here it is:

Brink, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

1809 update Data Loss

1. 1809 update Data Loss - Similar Threads - 1809 update Data

2. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  3. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  4. data loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    data loss: I deleted one of the user accounts on my pc and all the data is also deleted. how can i find my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/2db3f703-7bc9-4ab2-a55a-be585a53e095
  5. data loss

data loss: I deleted one of the user accounts on my pc and all the data is also deleted. how can i find my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/2db3f703-7bc9-4ab2-a55a-be585a53e095
  6. Loss of Data

in Windows 10 Customization
    Loss of Data: I have been using a Windows 10 laptop. Everytime i turn my laptop On, i am losing all the data in all drives other than OSC. Also, it takes a lot of time to load displaying "Preparing Windows" text while loading. Please help me with the problem....
  7. Data loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Data loss: My pc keeps losing it data and i dont know why do you think i need a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/30dd6610-a132-4f58-981e-760aa20451ef
  8. Data loss

Data loss: I really need help my pc keeps loosing all of its data and i have to reinstall windows again and again and i don’t know the problem this is the 5th time its happened it only happens when i restart my pc its not every time only some times...
  9. DATA LOSS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DATA LOSS: Recently upgraded to windows 10 (1903) resulting in data loss. Very disappointed. Please Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/3e3ffb85-4b7f-4b4f-99aa-0a524f59d751
  10. Windows 10 Version 1809 Update - Loss of User Data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Version 1809 Update - Loss of User Data: This mornings update resulted in a successful system update and for some reason a loss of user data. The user/documents folder is present but all files and structure under the folder is missing. Windows.old folder is missing the same data. I've never seen this before and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1809 data loss

2. windows 1809 install data loss

3. win 10 1809 datum

4. 1809 restore data,
  5. 1809 data loss,
  6. windows 10 1809 data loss fix,
  7. w10 1809