Windows 10: 1809 update deleted Volume / EFI?

Discus and support 1809 update deleted Volume / EFI? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I recently updated to Version 1809 on an Intel NUC8i7HNK. After finishing and restarting, the Samsung 950 Pro SSD is no longer recognized as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShaneWray1, Oct 3, 2018.

1. 1809 update deleted Volume / EFI?

Hello, I recently updated to Version 1809 on an Intel NUC8i7HNK. After finishing and restarting, the Samsung 950 Pro SSD is no longer recognized as a boot device. When I boot from the Windows installation media, I can see the four partitions (Recovery, System, MSR, and Primary), but am unable to repair it or select the Windows Volume from it. There's no EFI on the drive visible in BIOS

Any ideas? Thanks!

:)

ShaneWray1, Oct 3, 2018

2. 1809 update deleted Volume / EFI?

Hello, I recently updated to Version 1809 on an Intel NUC8i7HNK. After finishing and restarting, the Samsung 950 Pro SSD is no longer recognized as a boot device. When I boot from the Windows installation media, I can see the four partitions (Recovery, System,
    MSR, and Primary), but am unable to repair it or select the Windows Volume from it. There's no EFI on the drive visible in BIOS

Any ideas? Thanks!

ShaneWray1, Oct 5, 2018
  3. 1809 update deleted Volume / EFI?

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response

1) When I run System Restore from a bootable USB (1803) and select Go Back to Old Version, it gives me the options to select Volume 4, a blank option, and Volume 4 (again). All three return "We ran into a problem..."

3) Startup Repair likewise fails

4) Clean installing is the backup plan that I'd like to avoid unless there's no other solution

2) Running the EFI utility in BIOS only shows files from the bootable USB and not the SSD

Edit: There are three options when selecting Startup Repair: two for Volume 4 and one blank

All: "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" no other error message

Blank: "Log file C:\Windows.~BT\SafeOS\winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

Vol 4: "Log file C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

Vol 4 #2: "Log file C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

ShaneWray1, Oct 5, 2018
  4. 1809 update deleted Volume / EFI?

1809 update deleted Volume / EFI?

Shane, I would create the bootable media which now has Version 1809 loaded, do the Clean install follow these illustrated steps in this link which compile the best possible Clean Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the
    tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Make sure during the booted install to follow the illustrated steps to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, then click Next to let it auto-create the needed partitions, format them and begin install - this makes it foolproof.

To create Windows 10 Installation Media (if necessary on another PC) install the Media Creation Tool and follow the directions here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...
    . Uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only.

Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key:
    https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on second screen choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, click Next to let it create needed partitions
    and start install - this makes it foolproof.

You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the linked tutorial. It's a better install than any amount of money could buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of
    your PC because you will learn everything that works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

Greg Carmack - MVP, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

1809 update deleted Volume / EFI?

1. 1809 update deleted Volume / EFI? - Similar Threads - 1809 update deleted

2. Unable to boot Windows - No EFI volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot Windows - No EFI volume: Hello,Yesterday I started getting a blue screen with error code 0xc000000f every time I turn on my computer. This happens right after the initial BIOS screen. As far as I'm aware, this means a file needed to boot Windows is corrupt or cannot be found. I'm using Windows 10...
  3. Unable to boot Windows - No EFI volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot Windows - No EFI volume: Hello,Yesterday I started getting a blue screen with error code 0xc000000f every time I turn on my computer. This happens right after the initial BIOS screen. As far as I'm aware, this means a file needed to boot Windows is corrupt or cannot be found. I'm using Windows 10...
  4. Unable to boot Windows - No EFI volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I accidentally deleted the EFI.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I accidentally deleted the EFI.: So yes, I accidentally deleted the EFI partition, and my system is now unbootable. What do I do?How can I boot back to Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-deleted-the-efi/935f503b-b5af-4574-97c9-6c70f9011a06
  6. Update 1809 deleted files

Update 1809 deleted files: Windows update 1809 installed automatically on Feb 9th. It lost all of my files. I found them and copied them back to My Documents/Pictures?videos etc. I also set up Outlook again. On Feb 12th an update happened again and all files were gone. Outlook also lost my profile...
  7. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  8. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  9. Update 1809 deleted files

Update 1809 deleted files: I installed a new built update for the 1809 set. Well, I found out after my computer restarted that two folders that i had created were deleted. Well, i just restored back to the earlier build of 1803 only to find out that the folders are visible but i get a message stating...
  10. deleted volume

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    deleted volume: Hi. I was using diskpart to delete a volume from my usb external hd and i wiped the drive by mistake. Can I retrieve the files and folders or are they lost forever? Any assistance will be appreciated. 102197

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1809 has no efi partition