Windows 10: 1903 Crashes on Restart... Not on Cold Start

Discus and support 1903 Crashes on Restart... Not on Cold Start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just received the WU 1903 update on an Asus Zenbook laptop. During each reboot the Asus locked up on its boot screen. The Asus logo appeared, but not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Telos, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Telos Win User

1903 Crashes on Restart... Not on Cold Start

Just received the WU 1903 update on an Asus Zenbook laptop. During each reboot the Asus locked up on its boot screen. The Asus logo appeared, but not the circling balls. Eventually it timed out to a black screen of death. Forcibly powering off, and then restarting continued the installer progress. After doing this for 3 installation reboots, the 1903 install completed "successfully".

However... when I now exit from W10 with "Restart" the Asus boot screen continues to fail after several minutes. Notably though, if I shutdown normally, the Asus starts without issue and reaches the login screen in about 8 seconds.

Why is restart different? And what can be done? I'm not fond of forcibly powering off. Thanks!

:)

Telos, Jun 13, 2019
  2. zinou Win User

5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

Ok, let the powershell command run overnight
    If the command didn't solve the problem, the try these steps in order:

1. Disable superfetch service
      • Empty the following folder c:\Windows\Prefetch\
      • Restart the computer
      • Si ça ne marche pas, passer à l'étape 2;
    2. Disable the AppXSvc from the registry: change the "Start" key value from 3 to 4 (see the screenshot)

1903 Crashes on Restart... Not on Cold Start [​IMG]

zinou, Jun 13, 2019
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jun 13, 2019
  4. mora67 Win User

5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

After overnight looks

mora67, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

1. 1903 Crashes on Restart... Not on Cold Start - Similar Threads - 1903 Crashes Restart

2. BSOD on cold start only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on cold start only: Hello, Recently been having BSOD on cold starts only. From what I have read online it indicates a memory module fail. I have looked at the minidump and there is an indication of a memory issue but I'm not sure if I am reading the dump file correctly. Also, are there any...
  3. Back to restart on stop cold

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back to restart on stop cold: I just received an update in an updated my laptop yesterday on July 4th 2021 Then on July 5, 2021 I got it back on and I received the error message and you can contact y’all STOP CODE It was after I’ve done the window Microsoft update on the computer laptop I tried all sorts...
  4. Windows 10 - Cold Start

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 - Cold Start: Question: When I first power up my laptop, I get the background screen. When I access the mouse or touch the trackpad my screen flashes wildly. I got to reboot the laptop, and everything is resolved; the problem disappears. -- Quite baffling ?? -- Anyone ever encountered...
  5. Windows firewall crashes on cold boot

Windows firewall crashes on cold boot: Hi, recently i've seen some issues with windows firewall crashing on cold boot and with that RDP fails to connect to servers. Although the issue is gone when reboot is done. And when the issue is ongoing, trying to open windows firewall settings from control panel also...
  6. BSOD on cold start up

BSOD on cold start up: Hi, I just put together a new desktop. I5 9600k Aorus Z390 Ultra 16 gb ram @3200 Mhz Recently I have been getting BSOD on cold start up. Usually, the system would reboot and it be stable thereafter. I have the dump files hosted here....
  7. Windows 1903: Collapsed Start Menu after cold boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 1903: Collapsed Start Menu after cold boot: I use Start Full Screen similar to Windows 8, containing 111 tiles to my most used apps. The latest version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1903 Build 18362.239 has been installed. Issue After each cold boot, the first time I start the Start Menu, the top menu tiles are...
  8. BSOD every cold start

BSOD every cold start: Hi, I'm getting BSOD every cold start of my PC every day. After rebooting everything runs fine. The system is new (it was built a week ago). memtest86 showed no errors and clean windows reinstall didn't help as well. Yesterday I updated all drivers/BIOS via MSI live...
  9. BSOD on cold start up

BSOD on cold start up: Hi The BSOD, that happens on a cold start up (when the computer has been turned off overnight) has been happening on random occasions ever since I built the computer. I've reinstalled windows, twice. I had thought it might be a hardware issue and have checked each stick of...
  10. Cold Start Freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Cold Start Freeze: When performing a cold start, the windows logo appears but nothing happens. If I reboot (Hold in the start button) and wait a few seconds, then repress the start button, Windows-10 loads. Why is this? 24306

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update 1903 crashes when restarting

2. windows 10 crashes after restart

3. windows 1903 crash on first restart

4. restart and power down problems for 1903 upgrade,
  5. 1903 locks at start up,
  6. windows 10 1903 everything is closed overnight