Windows 10: 1903: Notepad freezes

Discus and support 1903: Notepad freezes in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Just upgraded to 1903. Tried to run Notepad from shortcut and then from .exe in Windows. Freezes and calls home when I try to close it. Other editors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tcebob, Jun 8, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

1903: Notepad freezes

Just upgraded to 1903. Tried to run Notepad from shortcut and then from .exe in Windows. Freezes and calls home when I try to close it. Other editors (Text Pad, Sciteforautohotkey, Notepad++) work OK. Worked fine in 1809. Help!

- Later: can open an existing .txt file with Notepad using "Open with" in context menu. So might work around by constructing a shortcut to an almost empty file. But . . .

pps: tried ms store: Notepad For Windows 10. What a piece of . . .

:)

tcebob, Jun 8, 2019

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 8, 2019
  3. Amol S. Win User
    notepad

04sall is the name of the document that Notepad has opened. Usually Notepad is meant to open "text" or "source code" files, however it can open other types of files. Now relating back to your issue, the fact that 04sall does not have file format means
    that it used by a program or Windows, and could be quite large. This might have caused Notepad to freeze. You will have to force close Notepad, to do that please follow the following steps.

Step 1: Press the buttons "Ctrl, alt, and delete" simultaneously. A list of options should come up. Click on Task Manager from the options that display. Note, if Task Manager is unable to open OR pressing the buttons "Ctrl, alt, and delete" simultaneously
    does not do anything, jump to Step 5.

Step 2: In task manager select Notepad. Now click the "End Task" button. If a confirmation message comes up, then click "End Task" in the confirmation message. If Notepad closes then problem is solved. If Notepad does not close please repeat this step.
    If repeating this step after 5 times does not work, go on to Step 3.

Step 3: Select Notepad on task manager, right click on the selected Notepad in Task Manager. A drop down menu should come up. Select "Go to Details". After doing this DO NOT click on anything yet. Go to step 4.

Step 4: There should already be something highlighted, right click the highlighted object, a drop down menu should appear. Click "End Task" option from that menu. A prompt will come up, click the "End Process" option on the prompt. If Notepad closes then
    problem is solved. If Notepad does not close, please repeat this step. If repeating this step does not work, got to step 5.

Step 5: Hard shutdown the computer, by pressing onto the power button. DO NOT LET GO OF the power button until the computer power indication sign has turned off. Now turn the computer back on. If the issue is gone, then problem is fixed. If "04sall-notepad"
    opens up again on startup, please reply back stating that.

Amol S., Jun 8, 2019
  4. JCabebe Win User

Notepad

I followed your suggestion but wasn't able to find Notepad listed on the startup. There are some listed as program but don't know which ones it could be.

JCabebe, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

1. 1903: Notepad freezes - Similar Threads - 1903 Notepad freezes

2. 1903 and now 1909 random freeze

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    1903 and now 1909 random freeze: I have a computer that originally shipped with Windows 7, and I upgraded to 10 last July. Starting around August, I noticed my computer would be frozen about once a week. To recover I would have to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds (hard reset). I started a...
  3. Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed: Hi, so as the title indicates, I updated to the latest version of 10 and now when I click my Notepad shortcut it says "it looks like notepad isn't installed, would you like to install it". The exe file for notepad is in system32 but when I double click that it gives the same...
  4. Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 1903 has resulted in Notepad not installed: Hi, so as the title indicates, I updated to the latest version of 10 and now when I click my Notepad shortcut it says "it looks like notepad isn't installed, would you like to install it". The exe file for notepad is in system32 but when I double click that it gives the same...
  5. Notepad 1903

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad 1903: Hello! How can i install the newtest version for the Notepad 1903 ? 138824
  6. Notepad 1903

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Notepad 1903: Hello! How can i install the newtest version for the Notepad 1903 ? 138824
  7. Computer freezing after 1903 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing after 1903 update: Since installing the 1903 feature update a week ago, I am getting frequent episodes of mouse freezing (or pointer disappearing) and computer seizing up. (MSI GT70 laptop, Logitech G9 Mouse). Ctrl+Alt+Delete has no effect, only solution has been to shut it down and reboot...
  8. windows 1903 programs freezes not run

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 1903 programs freezes not run: I have windows 1903 after successful install upgraded from previous version worked flawless but after running some malware software Microsoft edge, windows explorer, and Defender freezes and not open or run properly, could not find way to solve it. 134480
  9. 1903: Notepad freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    1903: Notepad freezes: Just upgraded to 1903. Tried to run Notepad from shortcut and then from .exe in Windows. Freezes and calls home when I try to close it. Other editors (Text Pad, Sciteforautohotkey, Notepad++) work OK. Worked fine in 1809. Help! 134356
  10. BSOD and Freezes after 1903

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD and Freezes after 1903: Hello, Since the latest Windows update my laptop keeps freezing while working in Photoshop. Everything seems to be up to date and at this point I don’t know what to do. In the event logs I have Event ID 41 warnings and the BSOD states driver power state failure. Here is my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. notepad freezes up windows 10