Windows 10: 1903 Repeated Update Failures

Discus and support 1903 Repeated Update Failures in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I cannot successfully update my Windows 10 installation to version 1903. The system attempts to install, fails at around 24% and rolls back changes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Phildog, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Phildog Win User

1903 Repeated Update Failures

I cannot successfully update my Windows 10 installation to version 1903. The system attempts to install, fails at around 24% and rolls back changes with the error code 0x8007042b.

I have attempted a number of solutions (DISM, SFC, Uninstalling 3rd party AV etc). I downloaded and ran the SetupDiag diagnostic tool found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag and the log indicates a failure due to a specific file but I do not know how to fix this.

Relevant Log results:

Error: SetupDiag reports Migration Unit Gather failure.

Last Phase: Safe OS

Last Operation: Migrate framework (Full)

MigUnit: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis [Events_Normal.rbs]

Object Type: File

Operation: READ

Error: 0x00000017

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:

Phase Name: Safe OS

Phase Started: 22/08/2019 02:07:37

Phase Ended: 01/01/0001 00:00:00

Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00

Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:

Operation Name: Migrate framework (Full)

Operation Started: 22/08/2019 02:45:04

Operation Ended: 01/01/0001 00:00:00

Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000

Completed Successfully? False

From that it appears that the update process is failing when attempting to read the file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis [Events_Normal.rbs] SFC is not detecting issues with this file (or any others). The error appears to be a CRC error (if I am reading the error code correctly) but, as I say, SFC doesn't find any issues with any system files.

How do I fix this file so that Windows update can successfully read it as part of the update process please?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:)

Phildog, Aug 22, 2019
  2. rencom1 Win User

Repeated failures to update to version 1903

As documented in previous postings here, I've tried all of the suggested ways of installing the version 1903 update but continue to get "We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

Here are the Dropbox links for the Panther error logs as requested:

Dropbox - logs - Simplify your life

rencom1, Aug 22, 2019
  3. BAGZZlash Win User
    MSI 5870 BIOS Update

Still can't reproduce. Could you please post the exact BIOSes that produce the issue?

BAGZZlash, Aug 22, 2019
  4. 1903 Repeated Update Failures

Defender Update Failure - Repeated

Hi LeeEkstrom,

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and will certainly help you in the right direction to fix the issue. However, I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down the issue in order to provide
    you with better assistance.

• Is the issue confined to one update or with all Windows updates?
    • Did you make any significant changes prior to the issue?
    • From how many days you are facing this issue?

KB2267602 is the latest Definition update for Windows Defender. Some updates require administrative permissions to be installed. Therefore, signing in as an administrator may help resolve the issue. If you are unable to install the updates
    then this problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• The Windows Update database is corrupted.
    • Antivirus software is configured to scan the %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder.
    • The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service does not receive a content link header.
    • A required system file is registered incorrectly.
    Try the below mentioned methods and see if it works for you.

Method 1

First, I would suggest you to run Windows update troubleshooter
    to get the problem automatically detected and fixed. This fixit checks Windows Update Component configuration and repairs, resolves incorrect Windows update data locations, and registers required services. For running the troubleshooter follow the steps mentioned
    under the sub title What can I do if I'm having problems installing updates?

Windows Update: FAQ

Method 2

I would suggest you to check if you are able to access Windows Update services and also make sure that the following services are started. If it is not started follow the below mentioned steps:

a. Press Windows key + R, type "services.msc" (without quotes) in start run box and press
    Enter.

b. Locate Windows Update service.

c. Right click on the Windows Update service and select
    Properties.

d. In Start-up type, select Enable.

e. Click Start under Service status.

f. Click OK.

g. Repeat the steps c to f for the following services also:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service.

If these steps do not help to resolve the issue, then you may proceed with the step mentioned below and check.

Method 3

If issue still persists I would suggest you to reset Windows Update components and for that try to run the
    fixit provided in the following article. If you had already tried the same fixit before I would request you to run the fixit again.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

Windows Update - Additional resources

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

1903 Repeated Update Failures

1. 1903 Repeated Update Failures - Similar Threads - 1903 Repeated Update

2. PC Repeated failure to update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Repeated failure to update: The HP laptop of a relative has failed to update its Windows to ver. 20H since May. A main concern for me is how long it takes to update as it is a 2017 pc yet could take hours to undergo the process; from eight am to nine pm. All this to just restart and show that it has to...
  3. PC Repeated failure to update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Repeated failure to update: The HP laptop of a relative has failed to update its Windows to ver. 20H since May. A main concern for me is how long it takes to update as it is a 2017 pc yet could take hours to undergo the process; from eight am to nine pm. All this to just restart and show that it has to...
  4. PC Repeated failure to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 1903 1909 repeated failure to update

Windows 10 1903 1909 repeated failure to update: Hi I've had this now since at least September. I've tried just about every solution suggested on these forums and online. Everytime the same, it downloads, says it's installing but fails and then just repeats the process. I've been through the windows set-up process,...
  6. Failure to Update to 1903

Failure to Update to 1903: Updating to Windows 1903, failure details: 0x1900101 UX failure: Whilst powering up the PC, the PC freezes at the logo (razer). Have to restart multiple times, Automatic repair rolls back the update. Indicative of Driver Failure. Reset to factory, and update. Same failure....
  7. Repeated failure to update Windows 10 1903

Repeated failure to update Windows 10 1903: I'm getting an error when I try to run windows update. I stops on and asks me to uninstall a app on the pc. But when I try to uninstall that app, the uninstall hangs when it looks for a file that doesn't exist in the pc....
  8. Repeat Failure at Feature Update Win 10 v 1903

Repeat Failure at Feature Update Win 10 v 1903: I have tried probably 10-15 different fixes to get this update to install but it fails each time. I do get the error 0x80070003 but all targeted fixes for this error fail. I am down to the possibility of a PC reset but really don't want to lose all the programs. I can't...
  9. Failure to update to 1903

Failure to update to 1903: After many attempts to update my laptop by all the suggested methods I am now a) unable to reset or clean install b) unable to use scannow c) unable to download other updates d) unable to affect a repair My device is apparently compatible but after various...
  10. Repeated failures to update to version 1903

Repeated failures to update to version 1903: As documented in previous postings here, I've tried all of the suggested ways of installing the version 1903 update but continue to get "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." Here are the Dropbox links for the Panther error logs as requested:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. feature update windows 1903 keeps installing

2. read error events rbs 0x00000017

3. events_normal.rbs

4. cant delete events_normal.rbs,
  5. 1903 update fails repeatedly,
  6. windows 10 stuck in download loop 1903