Windows 10: 1903 update - all folders set back to default and can't customize them

Discus and support 1903 update - all folders set back to default and can't customize them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently updated to Windows 10 1903 and after I did, I can no longer customize my folders. All my folders are stuck on “General Items.” I right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ComicBookGrunty, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 1903 update - all folders set back to default and can't customize them

Hi,

I recently updated to Windows 10 1903 and after I did, I can no longer customize my folders. All my folders are stuck on “General Items.” I right click on a folder > Properties > Customize > choose anything on the “Optimize this folder” drop down box and click Apply then OK. Nothing happens. The column titles inside the folder never change, always staying at the default “Name, Date Modified, Size, Type.”

It does not matter if I right click on the folder and go to properties or open up the folder, right click on an empty space and choose “customize this folder,” my change never takes affect. I also cannot apply a custom icon. I can do all the steps hit apply and nothing happens.

If I go into Advance Security, my local admin account (the one Windows is logged into on start up) is the owner of the folder.

After a little trial and error, I discovered that if I create a brand new folder I can change it to whatever I want (Music, documents etc) with no trouble, but any folder created before I updated to 1903 I cannot change any customize options.

I use a local admin account, not a Microsoft account. I should be able to do simple things like this without a problem. “Should” being the keyword.

I am very frustrated and have spent several hours searching for solutions. The closest I got was this:
    Disable Automatic Folder Type Discovery in Windows 10

I have not tried it. I’m hesitant to try this because I’m not sure this solution is the solution for my problem. I’m also hesitant because this guide only mentions shell/bag under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and no mention of the one under HKEY_USERS.

I’m reasonably sure it is a permissions issue. That is why I can change customize options for brand new folders but none made before I updated. I have no idea how to fix this. Any help is appreciated.

Thank You.

:)

ComicBookGrunty, Jun 18, 2019

2. Windows 10 - Setting Up A Custom Default Folder View For ALL New Folders

Windows 10 - Setting Up A Custom Default Folder View For ALL New Folders

We would like to set up a default folder view and then have every new folder created open with that default folder view.

Each time we need to create a new folder:

1...right click on an empty space on desktop and select new folder,

2...open folder view,

3...select details view,

4...manually remove columns one by one in the details view that we do not need,

5...right click on the column titles and select "more...",

6...navigate the long list of column titles and add all the columns that we do need.

We create millions of folders and have to setup each new folder's view manually, every time. We would like to set-up a default folder view enabling every new folder created to open with the custom default folder view we have created. With the obvious benefit
    of lowering the steps it takes to create a new folder with the folder view customized setting already in place from six down to just one.

Have I over looked a setting in Folder view options or is this not something that is possible yet in windows 10?

In advance I thank you for any insight, tips or tricks you may be able to provide.

Thanks 1903 update - all folders set back to default and can't customize them :)

47.4theMiX, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Set default presentation not working correctly since 1903 update

Hi,

Windows 10 struggles to memorize the default file presentation (sort order, icon size, etc.) I set in File Explorer via the traditional procedure: "View>Options>View tab>Apply to all folders."

For instance:

When I set presentation A (very large icons, sort by date) for folders with mainly pictures, then I set presentation B (list, sort by name) for folders with mainly documents, Windows will erase the presentation A I set for picture-based folders, and goes
    on.

The feature worked like a charm in previous versions of Windows 10. The issue only appeared on 1903 update.

Shenmue is life, Jun 18, 2019
  4. Silvera Win User

1903 update - all folders set back to default and can't customize them

Default Folder Setting

Again many thanks, I will customize "Autos" folder structure using this tip!

Silvera, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

1903 update - all folders set back to default and can't customize them

1. 1903 update - all folders set back to default and can't customize them - Similar Threads - 1903 update folders

2. All my folders are called 'Documents' and I can't change them back to default settings.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my folders are called 'Documents' and I can't change them back to default settings.: Can anyone help me fix this? They all say 'Documents' and whenever I try to change the location on one to Videos, Music, Pictures or Documents it changes them all to the same thing, and I can't change the name on any of them so they are all called 'Documents'.I have no...
  3. All my folders are called 'Documents' and I can't change them back to default settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my folders are called 'Documents' and I can't change them back to default settings.: Can anyone help me fix this? They all say 'Documents' and whenever I try to change the location on one to Videos, Music, Pictures or Documents it changes them all to the same thing, and I can't change the name on any of them so they are all called 'Documents'.I have no...
  4. All my folders are called 'Documents' and I can't change them back to default settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't go back to default Windows Update & Security settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't go back to default Windows Update & Security settings: Hi guys, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.1082. In the past months I modified my group policy and then I used WuMgr to manage my updates. Now I would like to go back to the defaults but even if I tried Ten Forums' "Notify_before_Downloading_and_Installing_Updates.reg"...
  6. Windows10 can't remeber folder customization settings.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows10 can't remeber folder customization settings.: Here we go again. It's annoying as hell and thinking about reverting back to Windows 7 despite it's discontinued. Every time I sort my items in folders - next time I enter it's all set to "details" view. I tried going into "properties", than "customize", than "optimize",...
  7. folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default: Like it says on the title. The only thing I can add to that, this is happening on internal HDD that is other than my OS drive. I customized icons but after reboot, they keep reverting back to default. For years this was not an issue and all of a sudden it is... 131381
  8. folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default

in Windows 10 Support
    folder icons I Customize keep reverting back to default: Like it says on the title. The only thing I can add to that, this is happening on internal HDD that is other than my OS drive. I customized icons but after reboot, they keep reverting back to default. For years this was not an issue and all of a sudden it is... 131381
  9. Uninstalled all default apps and can't reinstall them.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Uninstalled all default apps and can't reinstall them.: I uninstalled all the default apps (with CCleaner) knowing that each new build re-installs them. Build 14926 no longer re-installs uninstalled apps. I've tried every means I can find to re-install the apps but nothing works. Can I roll back to previous build (Build 14915),...
  10. Customize Many (Not All) Folders' View Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Many (Not All) Folders' View Settings: Hi, I have many folders that I want to set a specific custom setting for. I have about 100 folders (well, specifically, saved search files within File Explorer, that I want to open showing the results as View > Details, and only the details on top of Name & Date Modified....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folder customization in windows 1903

2. windows 1903 hide folders under my computer

3. what folders does 1903 update use on c: drive