Windows 10: 1903 update -- no longer an option to auto-disable trackpad while mouse plugged in

Discus and support 1903 update -- no longer an option to auto-disable trackpad while mouse plugged in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, today, my machine (Alienware 17R5) was scheduled for the 1903 "update". Lots of issues with that one, not the least of which all wifi passwords... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bob of QF, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Bob of QF Win User

1903 update -- no longer an option to auto-disable trackpad while mouse plugged in

So, today, my machine (Alienware 17R5) was scheduled for the 1903 "update". Lots of issues with that one, not the least of which all wifi passwords were mysteriously discarded by the "update". Fortunately, I remembered what they were...

But the absolute worst thing of all? I can no longer auto-disable my touchpad, if I plug in a usb mouse! Apparently, in microsoft's infinite wisdom that feature was removed? (several BLOG entries seem to imply this is the case)

Worse: I tried rolling back the touchpad driver-- nope-- the "update" has wiped out the driver history as well!

Wait! It gets even worse! I tried forcing the original Alienware driver, which had such functionality. Nope! The "update" maliciously and with ill intent, deleted my original driver, deleted the driver history, and forcibly re-installed the "newest" driver via "update" which, as I noted already, has a reduced functionality set! WHAT THE HECK, MICROSOFT? Going backwards, now?

I have fallen back on disabling the hardware under Device Manager-- which I absolutely hate, as sometimes? The mouse isn't readily available, and I really wanted to fall back on the touchpad-- which I cannot do, because Microsoft maliciously deleted a very useful setting, for no conceivable reason I can imagine!

If anyone knows how to re-enable that very useful setting:

"Disable touchpad when external mouse is connected"

I would be quite interested in knowing how, without rolling back to 1803, or disabling Windows Update.

:)

Bob of QF, Jun 20, 2019

2. Unable to disable laptop trackpad after Windows 10 update (Feb 2019)

After Windows 10 updated itself (Feb 11th 2019), my laptop trackpad was no longer disabled. I usually disable it because I have an external mouse plugged in via USB.

Previous solutions for disabling the trackpad no longer seem to be available. I've tried all of the following:

- In Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Mouse I opened the properties for the mouse. I no longer see an option to disable the trackpad when a mouse is plugged in.

- In Settings\Devices I checked both the mouse section and trackpad section, again no setting to disable the trackpad.

Obviously something has changed with this update. How am I supposed to disable the trackpad?

Thanks for any info,

Shawn

Shawn Potter, Jun 20, 2019
  3. Trackpad stays disabled even when there isn't a mouse plugged in

I have the setting enabled which disables my trackpad when I have a mouse plugged in. When I unplug my mouse, however, the trackpad is still unusable/disabled. Is there a way to fix this?

mikerich94, Jun 20, 2019
  4. 1903 update -- no longer an option to auto-disable trackpad while mouse plugged in

Disabling trackpad when external mouse is active

I have an ASUS laptop running Win10. The touchpad gestures sometimes accidentally activate and make a hash of my typing. I wish to use an external mouse and disable trackpad automatically when that mouse is active. Your advice says:

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Select Ease of Access.
    3. Click Touchpad.
    4. Under Touchpad, toggle the switch on or off.
    5. You can also uncheck the box beside Leave touchpad on the when a mouse is connectedoption to disable it when you use a traditional mouse.
    Once done with the steps above, check if the issue will persist.

As you no doubt know, these instructions are WRONG. There is no toggle switch under touchpad, and no option to toggle touchpad off when using external mouse.

I allow WIN10 to update. It is updated.

So what is the secret? And why is it a secret?

Editorsteve1, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

1903 update -- no longer an option to auto-disable trackpad while mouse plugged in

1. 1903 update -- no longer an option to auto-disable trackpad while mouse plugged in - Similar Threads - 1903 update longer

2. Mouse and trackpad not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse and trackpad not working: I recently just fixed my laptop and I discovered that the mouse is no longer working. I went to device manager and I couldn't find the mice and other pointing device setting. I tried to fix the I2C stuff, disabled and enabled it and tried to update it but nothing is working....
  3. Mouse and trackpad not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse and trackpad not working: I recently just fixed my laptop and I discovered that the mouse is no longer working. I went to device manager and I couldn't find the mice and other pointing device setting. I tried to fix the I2C stuff, disabled and enabled it and tried to update it but nothing is working....
  4. No option to disable auto brightness on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No option to disable auto brightness on my laptop.: I can't find any option to disable this. I've tried disabling through intel graphics and theres no option to disable through advance power settings. The only option there for display is 'turn off display after...' It can get irritating on the eyes when in a dark room. It'll...
  5. Looking for a way to disable the auto updates but still have the option to update at will

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for a way to disable the auto updates but still have the option to update at will: I know that disabling the auto updates is a fairly common question, but all of the suggestions I've found online involved messing with the registry to the point of breaking the updater completely. I'm actually more interested in keeping everything as is, because I do want to...
  6. Trackpad/mouse issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trackpad/mouse issues: Ok, so this all started after i factory reset my computer. On Windows 10, the settings have mouse settings, and relate to mouse settings, which would be great, but i have a trackpad, and not a mouse. This is a pain because i cant right click. Any fixes?...
  7. Trackpad on Surface Book 2 w/ 1903 update

Trackpad on Surface Book 2 w/ 1903 update: Hello, Have a user's trackpad that has had huge issues since 1903 was installed, i did a double check of the trackpad drivers and it's stating an Intel driver from 2006 is the best one. I just applied the Surface Book 2 Driver and Firmware package yesterday (I had applied...
  8. disable auto updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disable auto updates: lots of problems 1903 of all sorts We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until a new driver has been installed and the Windows 10, version 1903 feature update has been automatically offered to you....
  9. laptop mouse trackpad

laptop mouse trackpad: my left and right mouse button on my trackpad isn't working anymore it was working just fine a couple of hours ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-mouse-trackpad/65250aa7-c094-49e7-9e68-a1e1940c2a43
  10. disable mouse auto zoom

disable mouse auto zoom: I have a iview ultima notebook and I need to know how to disable the mouse auto zoom function the device in the control panel reads as a keyboard not as a laptop keyboard combo so I cant go into my mouse settings that way to disable the auto zoom and I try just going into my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to turn off touchpad ater update of 1903

2. elan touchpad not working windows 10 1903

3. on of off touchpad is removed in v1903

4. canr disable touchpad afer 1903 update