Windows 10: 19042.782 update removes "Open file location" link so can't change pinned icon

Discus and support 19042.782 update removes "Open file location" link so can't change pinned icon in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi. The latest Insider Update makes a number of really unwelcome changes. Pinned apps are no longer in the Start Menu > Programs folder, and there's no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wheelerandrew, Jan 27, 2021.

1. 19042.782 update removes "Open file location" link so can't change pinned icon

Hi. The latest Insider Update makes a number of really unwelcome changes. Pinned apps are no longer in the Start Menu > Programs folder, and there's no right-click Open Folder Location link to it in Start. So it's no longer possible to change whatever icon Edge decides to associate with any pinned app. And as soon as you open any older pinned app with a custom icon, once, this change is carried over, the icon changes to whatever Edge decides, and you're stuck. I WANT to be able to use my own icons. Does anyone know the new location of pinned apps, and if/how it's possible to change these icons now?

submitted by /u/wheelerandrew
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wheelerandrew, Jan 27, 2021
  2. mystvearn Win User

Open file location is missing in pinned apps

Yes. This is the one. Weirdly it now shows all the recent files after update. Maybe that has something to do with it. I did not do anything at all.

Thank you again. I guess the problem is solved.

mystvearn, Jan 27, 2021
  3. GHDave Win User
    Pinned Files on Taskbar Don't Work, Can't Unpin, Can't Pin New

Hi!

Did the Win 10 update last night. Now I can't run my pinned Excel files ("The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed, or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list?") But when I say Yes, it's not removed. If I click the icon for "Unpin from this list" it is also not removed. If I right click the item on the Pinned list and click "Unpin from this list" it is not removed. If I drag the file from its folder down to the icon ("Pin to Microsoft Excel") nothing changes.

The update apparently changed the locations of all the pinned files from my nonstandard location (D:\Dropbox\Current where D is my Data drive) to elsewhere (C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Dropbox\Current, which location does not exist). I can't figure out how to change this. The pinned list seems to be somehow locked so I can't change it, and this is the essence of the problem. Any ideas, anyone? Anti-kudos to Microsoft for forking this up.

GHDave, Jan 27, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

19042.782 update removes "Open file location" link so can't change pinned icon

Open file location is missing in pinned apps

No, that's not the sort of 'file location' the OP is referring to. Your 'file location' opens File Explorer at the location of the shortcut for that app in the Start Menu's Programs folder. The OP wants the list of recently opened files, or the Jump List as it is known (hover over each one and it shows its file location). Theirs is turned off (and yours by the looks of it).

19042.782 update removes "Open file location" link so can't change pinned icon [​IMG]

Thema:

19042.782 update removes "Open file location" link so can't change pinned icon

1. 19042.782 update removes "Open file location" link so can't change pinned icon - Similar Threads - 19042 782 update

2. Can't change or remove Windows Hello PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change or remove Windows Hello PIN: My computer uses a Windows Hello PIN and I need to change it. I went into the Sign-in options and click on the Windows Hello PIN option and it says Add. Upon clicking add it has me enter my pin and then nothing happens....
  3. Change Icons for links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Icons for links: All of a sudden, instead of dozens of "pictures" to identify links I created, I have only four. This is it! What can I do to get the selection back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-icons-for-links/fa810572-5487-42e7-a428-9f7b5dba72e5
  4. Change Icons for links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Icons for links: All of a sudden, instead of dozens of "pictures" to identify links I created, I have only four. This is it! What can I do to get the selection back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-icons-for-links/fa810572-5487-42e7-a428-9f7b5dba72e5
  5. Change Icons for links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Open File Location for Start Menu icons

Open File Location for Start Menu icons: On Windows 10 rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" doesn't open the files' "actual location" but just a folder in which the shortcut is. You then have to rightclick on that shortcut and click on "open file path" or whatever it is in english to...
  7. PDF File Icon- Change Icon and Pin to Start

PDF File Icon- Change Icon and Pin to Start: I have a PDF file on my desktop of the manual/ user guide of my laptop. How can i change the icon from the pdf icon to the manufacturer's icon which I have already downloaded and then how to pin this to my start menu? Thanks....
  8. Sudden remove/change of .exe file location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden remove/change of .exe file location: Recently this problem occured when i turn my pc on and it showed that some of my application shortcuts were not working because the .exe file has been removed or changes to a new location although i didnt do any such thing. Then i clicked "fix it" the shortcut is fixed in no...
  9. Change icon of link?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change icon of link?: After all I got a link to filerenamer on my desktop. [ATTACH] Now I want to change the icon of that link to the icon of filerenamer, as ugly as it is in the taskbar: [ATTACH] The task is where to find it. I could easily change it to a standard icon. But where to find...
  10. Open file location is missing in pinned apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Open file location is missing in pinned apps: Hi, In windows 7, when I pin word for example, I can view the recent files and pinned files. When I right-click the file in Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit, I could not find it for windows 10. I downloaded the registry file from this forum link but does not solve the...