Windows 10: 1909 clean install - list pro licence

Discus and support 1909 clean install - list pro licence in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hope someone can help here. I have an HP spectre which originally came with Windows 8 home. Upgraded free to windows 10 by clean install. It was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hazel123, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Hazel123 Win User

1909 clean install - list pro licence

Hope someone can help here. I have an HP spectre which originally came with Windows 8 home. Upgraded free to windows 10 by clean install. It was running 1903. I had a Windows 10 pro licence from my old laptop which died and I linked the Windows 10 pro licence to the HP spectre instead, via Microsoft account. All fine until HP spectre installed 1909. I thought I had turned off feature updates- but anyway - had a few problems and decided to clean install 1909. Backed everything up first.

I noticed when installing 1909 it doesn’t give you the option to choose “home” or “pro”. It is showing as Windows 10 home now. So assume that is because it was originally a “home “version in bios. So signed into Microsoft account (my account from install was set up with my Microsoft account ) to see if I need to sync or activate the pro licence- but it no longer seems to be in my Microsoft accounts.

This is where it gets confusing for me - the laptop is showing with a different name in my Microsoft account since clean install - so maybe it thinks I have two computers and this is a new one? Account also shows I have two devices when I only have the one - but can’t seem to find a listing for these two devices. Everything else re my account is there - my annual email subscription, my family set up etc. But no record of the pro licence which was a digital purchase.

I guess I could try changing the computer name back to what it was before - instead of the genetic “desktopxyz “ except I can’t remember exactly what I called it before.

I have gone into settings - account- and verified my account but still nothing is showing in Microsoft account about my pro licence and it’s still showing as Windows 10 home. Grr.

Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

I have found the two devices in Microsoft account (ie only one device but with two names) but it won’t let me remove the old names device. Maybe because it’s set up with the family account settings. Grr. If I can remove that maybe my W10 pro licence will be available again.

:)

Hazel123, Jan 21, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Jan 21, 2020
  4. NickSteel Win User

Query on Clean installation of Windows 10 Pro on Windows 7 Pro PC.

Original Title: Windows 7 Pro (from MS upgrade key) to Windows 10 Pro - Clean Install

My Gateway NV7923U X64 came with Windows 7 Home installed.

I purchased an upgrade key from MS and upgraded to Windows 7 Pro.

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and then do a clean install.

• Will my existing upgraded Windows 7 Pro now upgrade to Windows 10 Pro automatically, or do I need to perform additional steps?
    • Will I be able to do a clean install and have Windows 10 Pro after upgrading?

NickSteel, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

1. 1909 clean install - list pro licence - Similar Threads - 1909 clean install

2. List Linked Windows Licences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    List Linked Windows Licences: Hello all!When i was first building my gaming PC i bought a licence that was like £10 online Sticker taken off of an old pc with Windows 7 i think i also got a licecence through a friends UNI program, i have since bought a full Windows 10 Pro licence from the Microsoft Store....
  3. List Linked Windows Licences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List Linked Windows Licences: Hello all!When i was first building my gaming PC i bought a licence that was like £10 online Sticker taken off of an old pc with Windows 7 i think i also got a licecence through a friends UNI program, i have since bought a full Windows 10 Pro licence from the Microsoft Store....
  4. List Linked Windows Licences

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows Pro Licence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Pro Licence: Hi I am in the process of changing my laptop. My current machine was upgraded to windows 10 Pro. Would it be possible to transfer my Pro licence to my new machine the new machine came with Windows 10 Home...
  6. Clean 1909 installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean 1909 installation question: Hi, guys, I have a bootable Windows 10 1909 USB flash drive that I prepared last week using the Media Creation Tool. I intend to use it at some point when I have time to clean install Windows 10 on my PC. Im aware that Microsoft are shortly due to release the latest version...
  7. Clean 1909 installation question

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean 1909 installation question: Hi, guys, I have a bootable Windows 10 1909 USB flash drive that I prepared last week using the Media Creation Tool. I intend to use it at some point when I have time to clean install Windows 10 on my PC. Im aware that Microsoft are shortly due to release the latest version...
  8. Clean install of Windows Pro 1909 and now in selective startup mode :(

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of Windows Pro 1909 and now in selective startup mode :(: i I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64 on my brand new computer. All was fine all day and check constantly and before I turned off the system for the day, I went to msconfig. I see that now after 9 hrs of install of all my programs and drivers, the computer is...
  9. Clean install of Windows Pro 1909 and now in selective startup mode :

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clean install of Windows Pro 1909 and now in selective startup mode :: Hi I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64 on my brand new computer. All was fine all day and check constantly and before I turned off the system for the day, I went to msconfig. I see that now after 9 hrs of install of all my programs and drivers, the...
  10. Clean installed win 10 pro 1909. New Folder in ribbon, nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean installed win 10 pro 1909. New Folder in ribbon, nothing happens: clean installed 1909. New Folder in explorer ribbon does nothing. Does not create new folder. It is not grayed out. Right click menu does not have New folder option either. Added the registry entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New...