Windows 10: 1st time clean install Win 10 from DVD or USB?

Discus and support 1st time clean install Win 10 from DVD or USB? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have my new build assembled and ready to install Windows 10 Pro. I purchased The Windows 10 DVD from Amazon just last week so I believe it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cork, Jan 4, 2019.

1. cork Win User

1st time clean install Win 10 from DVD or USB?

I have my new build assembled and ready to install Windows 10 Pro.
    I purchased The Windows 10 DVD from Amazon just last week so I believe it is relatively new.

While reading the clean install guidelines and step by step instructions, it mostly talks about installing from a USB drive. And reading another post, it said that using the USB installation was better than using an older DVD version.
    The question is, how old is considered "old" when it comes to the DVD?
    I did recently create the bootable USB from the Microsoft website, but I'm kind of old school ( or maybe just old ) and am more accustomed to the DVD installations.
    And, if I do use the USB install, will the DVD activation key work, as long as they are both Windows 10 Pro 64 bit?

I should add, the DVD is an OEM version.

Thanks in advance,

:)

cork, Jan 4, 2019
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 4, 2019
  4. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink 1st time clean install Win 10 from DVD or USB? ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

1. 1st time clean install Win 10 from DVD or USB? - Similar Threads - 1st clean install

2. How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD: How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD. I want to Know This Method Because I Want to Clean Install Windows 10 but I don't have USB or DVD. Please Help Me.Thanks For Any Help!...
  3. How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD: How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD. I want to Know This Method Because I Want to Clean Install Windows 10 but I don't have USB or DVD. Please Help Me.Thanks For Any Help!...
  4. How to Clean Install Windows 10 Without USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean install Win 10 with USB

Clean install Win 10 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  6. Clean instal Win 10 with USB

Clean instal Win 10 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  7. Clean instal Win !0 with USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean instal Win !0 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  8. 32b Win-10 ISO install on DVD, fails after 1st DVD boot process reboots

32b Win-10 ISO install on DVD, fails after 1st DVD boot process reboots: I have a fully functional, HP wx8000 system: with a 32b, Tyan S2663 MB'd, updated to the latest BIOS JQ.W1.19US, and 1.022GB of motherboard RAM, running with Win XL, an IDE 80GB hard drive, and an IDE CD-ROM. My BIOS does not support booting from a USB stick, so I have to...
  9. installing win 10 whether using a USB or a DVD

installing win 10 whether using a USB or a DVD: I get the 4 position windows up telling me It cannot install to any of the 4 positions. Also had a message cannot find the driver no idea so can go no further!!! Cheers Alan have installed 10 many times this the first I could not install...
  10. copy win 10 installation usb to DVD?

in Windows 10 Support
    copy win 10 installation usb to DVD?: My aging PC will not boot to usb. Can I copy it to DVD? 72911