Windows 10: 1TB M.2 Enough

Discus and support 1TB M.2 Enough in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a question im OCD with Storage and im wondering I don't move my user files like my documents, my pictures and so on off the main drive. Will a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JMatzelle993, Nov 11, 2019.

1. 1TB M.2 Enough

I have a question im OCD with Storage and im wondering I don't move my user files like my documents, my pictures and so on off the main drive. Will a 1TB M.2 be enough?

I do not store movies and such on my drive. Also my Steam will be on a separate 2tb SSD while DCS World on another 2TB ssd

submitted by /u/JMatzelle993
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JMatzelle993, Nov 11, 2019
  2. Lagged Win User

M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @Dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @Dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Nov 11, 2019
  3. SOLD: WD Blue M.2 1TB Internal SSD

WD Blue M.2 1TB Internal SSD Solid State Drive - SATA 6Gb/s - WDS100T1B0B

• Bare SSD in good condition. PRICE: $SOLD @ HardForum
    1TB M.2 Enough eIWI6Hf.png

**PRICES ARE OBO- please PM me if my prices are off or you have an offer.**

PAYMENT: PayPal, USPS Money Order or Cash (Local)
    TRADES: Only thing I need is ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING

Spoiler: SOLD ON TPU ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING Motherboard

• I am upgrading to an 8700K so this motherboard is for sale. In great condition- comes with retail box and pretty much all of the accessories. Never skipped a beat and was able to run my 7700K @ 5 GHZ with no issues. PRICE: $SOLD TO sneekypeet
      @ TPU
    1TB M.2 Enough 8Q7cg3Fh.png

1TB M.2 Enough 1V6zkWe.png

Volkswagen, Nov 11, 2019
  4. 1TB M.2 Enough

replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

1TB M.2 Enough

1. 1TB M.2 Enough - Similar Threads - 1TB Enough

2. Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...: My seagate drive is not showing up under devices and drives in the "this pc" menu, so I can't access it, but it is showing up in device manager and disk managment.I'm fairly sure it is corrupted as it shows up unnamed in disk manager and there is no "NFTS".screenshot failed...
  3. Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...: My seagate drive is not showing up under devices and drives in the "this pc" menu, so I can't access it, but it is showing up in device manager and disk managment.I'm fairly sure it is corrupted as it shows up unnamed in disk manager and there is no "NFTS".screenshot failed...
  4. Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I've bought the Personal Plan 1TB Space but OneDrive still showing 5GB plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I've bought the Personal Plan 1TB Space but OneDrive still showing 5GB plan: HelloI've just bought the Personal Plan which comes with 1TB Space but when i login to my OneDrive using same credentials it still showing 5GB plan. ?I unlinked and restarted system and even gave a new folder when login again to the OneDrive. Help plz...
  6. I've bought the Personal Plan 1TB Space but OneDrive still showing 5GB plan

I've bought the Personal Plan 1TB Space but OneDrive still showing 5GB plan: HelloI've just bought the Personal Plan which comes with 1TB Space but when i login to my OneDrive using same credentials it still showing 5GB plan. ?I unlinked and restarted system and even gave a new folder when login again to the OneDrive. Help plz...
  7. can windows 1033bit run on an atom processor with 1tb hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can windows 1033bit run on an atom processor with 1tb hard drive: can windows 10 32bit run on a Toshiba 1TB 5400RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5 inch Notebook Hard Drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-windows-1033bit-run-on-an-atom-processor-with/79ce3b28-527e-43a6-919e-51c03906e94b
  8. can windows 1033bit run on an atom processor with 1tb hard drive

can windows 1033bit run on an atom processor with 1tb hard drive: can windows 10 32bit run on a Toshiba 1TB 5400RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5 inch Notebook Hard Drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-windows-1033bit-run-on-an-atom-processor-with/79ce3b28-527e-43a6-919e-51c03906e94b
  9. can windows 1033bit run on an atom processor with 1tb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How to put windows 11 on a new 1TB SSD.

How to put windows 11 on a new 1TB SSD.: My old hard drive had a catastrophic failure so I am replacing with a new 1TB SSD. My son works for Microsoft and I get my software through the "friends and family" download link. How can I install Windows 11 and MS 365 on the new drive. Can I do this by locating the license...