Windows 10: 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

Discus and support 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hawkward_PDX, Sep 22, 2022.

1. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that I found is that it has never successfully run a local backup. OneDrive backups seem to be working fine.The box has two 1TB SSD's and two 4TB HDD. I think I have it set up via Storage Pool to mirror one SSD to the other then backup to one of the HDD with the second HDD creating a backup there too. Long story shor

:)

Hawkward_PDX, Sep 22, 2022
  2. cereberus Win User

Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

You should do steps as follows

1) clone 1TB hdd to SSD

2) run mbr2gpt utility to convert ssd to uefi

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

3) extend 1tb partition on SSD to 4TB using tool like Easeus Partition Master (free version is ok).

Step 2 is the critical step.

cereberus, Sep 22, 2022
  3. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

Didn't work.
    When I cloned the hdd to ssd, I could boot from the ssd.
    When I ran the mbr2gpt tool (following a guide) after booting into the ssd, it says the conversion was successful but couldn't update reagent.xml. Disabling and enabling it didn't help. I didn't think it was a big deal.
    Anyways when I changed to uefi, windows boot manager was #1 and Onboard NIC was #2 and #3, I ended up in windows repair and couldn't get out, so I just boot back to my hdd and here I am.

RoboEmperor, Sep 22, 2022
  4. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help.
    I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD.
    What I have: Partitions in order
    1TB MBR HDD: System Reserved 500MB, (C1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD :) 930GB, Recovery Partition 482MB
    4TB GPT SSD: Unformatted Primary 16MB, System Reserved 500MB, Recovery Partition 482MB, (E1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD :) 3725.05 GB

So what I tried to do was use Macrium Reflect to clone my 3 partitions over to my SSD (in a different order so I can extend volume) and it worked.

Now I restart my computer, enter BIOS, change my boot mode to UEFI, save and restart again, only for the computer to go in automatic repair mode or something. When i tried to enter BIOS again, the Boot Order was just
    1. Windows Boot Manager
    2 & 3. Some kind of weird thing, disabled, not my SSD or HDD.

So I change my boot mode back to legacy and here I am. I obviously missed a step and did something wrong, so please help.

I don't want to reinstall windows. I just want to move everything (including OS) to my ssd, and that's it.

RoboEmperor, Sep 22, 2022
Thema:

1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

1. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD - Similar Threads - 1TB SSD won't

2. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2: The last time I tried to ask this question someone came back saying 365 isn't a backup solution; I know this. I'm trying to use the storage pool built into Windows 10. I have two 1TB SSD trying to run a mirror and two 4TB HDD intended to be the house Plex/File Server/Backup...
  3. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2: The last time I tried to ask this question someone came back saying 365 isn't a backup solution; I know this. I'm trying to use the storage pool built into Windows 10. I have two 1TB SSD trying to run a mirror and two 4TB HDD intended to be the house Plex/File Server/Backup...
  4. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD: I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that...
  6. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD: I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that...
  7. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD: Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help. I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD. What I have: Partitions in order 1TB MBR HDD: System Reserved 500MB, (C:) 930GB, Recovery Partition 482MB 4TB GPT SSD: Unformatted...
  8. Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB: Hello fellow tenforums users, I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have a 4TB HDD that I want to install in place of my current disk and I am not sure how to make an exact clone of my C drive. I have an external usb 3.0 docking station for sata drives and was going to just use...
  9. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...
  10. Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Nearly Full SSD VS HDD: If i were to nearly fill my SSD, and it were to slow down. how would that perform compared to a non full HDD? would it make the SSD slower than the HDD? or would it still be faster? 9133