Windows 10: 2.1 speakers only play sound that would normally come through a rear speaker

Discus and support 2.1 speakers only play sound that would normally come through a rear speaker in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I accidentally unplugged my speaker cable. When I plugged it back in a window popped us asking what I'd just plugged in. I can't even remember what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AtxReefGuy, Jan 7, 2021.

1. 2.1 speakers only play sound that would normally come through a rear speaker

I accidentally unplugged my speaker cable. When I plugged it back in a window popped us asking what I'd just plugged in. I can't even remember what I selected. After that the speakers don't work. When I go to Sound option and right click on Speakers / Headphones and click configure I have 3 audio channel options. Stereo, Quadraphonic and 5.1 Surround. When I select Stereo and click Test a box pops up that says failed to play test tone. When I try the Quad option sound comes out of the speakers when the animation shows sound coming from the rear speakers. With the 5.1 option sound comes out of the speakers when the animation shows sound coming from the side speakers. I've tried everything I can think of but nothing is working. Any ideas?

Thanks!

:)

AtxReefGuy, Jan 7, 2021
  2. Azhrei Win User

No sound from rear speakers

I have recently moved house and on setting up my media pc, I noticed I was not getting any sound out of my rear speakers. A channel test on the receiver confirmed that they are working, so the issue has to be with Windows. I just upgraded it with a new SSD and case and performing a sound test on booting and installation of drivers, there is still no sound from the rear speakers. The sound that is meant to come from them is coming through the front speakers. The front (left, right and centre) speakers and subwoofer work correctly.

My pc is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer HTP-072, a HTiB (Home Theatre in a Box) comprised of a Pioneer VSX-324 with passive sub and speakers. I have never had any problem with them before. The HDMI cable is plugged into a Radeon HD 7870. Running video files on Kodi, the correct formats do appear on the receiver (TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc.) I have carefully rewired all the speakers but, as explained above, a channel test on the receiver has sound coming from the rear speakers as normal.

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy. It has to be a problem with Windows but I can't find what that might be. It was running on Windows 7, is now running on Windows 10, but the issue oddly remains.

Azhrei, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Gelbs Win User
    5.1 Speakers-Sound Coming Out Rear And Front?

My speakers work fine. Not sure how long it's been like it. I have a Creative sound card.
    But basically, when I test or configure the sound settings the speakers work, but when it comes to the front right speaker, the sound also comes out of the rear right one, too. No idea why? Yet, when I test the rear right one, that works fine and just comes out the one.

Gelbs, Jan 7, 2021
  4. Azhrei Win User

2.1 speakers only play sound that would normally come through a rear speaker

No sound from rear speakers

Update - sound now plays from the rear speakers, but now the centre speaker is acting up. No sound from it whatsoever. Again, all channels play correctly on the receiver's speaker test. Playing films in Kodi, proper audio formats still do not show on the receiver, only Stereo, StereoEXT and PCM. Choosing PCM, Kodi reports that it is playing video files in the correct format (ex. TrueHD, DTS-MA). But still no sound from the centre channel and nothing showing on the receiver. Obviously, with the centre speaker producing nothing, I am missing a lot of sound when videos are playing.

Azhrei, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

2.1 speakers only play sound that would normally come through a rear speaker

1. 2.1 speakers only play sound that would normally come through a rear speaker - Similar Threads - speakers play sound

2. Playing music through rear speakers/Speaker Fill

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Playing music through rear speakers/Speaker Fill: Has anyone been able to play music through their rear 5.1 speakers? Apparently there used to be a setting in windows call speaker fill that would play stereo output through but it's not longer available. Any advice would be helpful. submitted by /u/Yeeyo55 [link]...
  3. Rear audio jack doesn't detect speakers, but will play sound through them if something is...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rear audio jack doesn't detect speakers, but will play sound through them if something is...: Until today, I've been using a pair of active speakers with my PC. They've been plugged into the rear audio jack, and there's been no issue. Today, I set-up my new pair of passive speakers i.e. the speakers are now connected through an external amp, and plugged them into...
  4. Sound coming through both headphones and speakers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound coming through both headphones and speakers.: I just bought the Nitro 5 and found that when my headphones are plugged in, minecraft game audio comes through my main speakers while the spotify app and anything on google all play audio through my headphones. In the sound settings the app minecraft is specifically set to...
  5. No sound through speakers only through headphones

No sound through speakers only through headphones: I doubt Ill EVER get this fixed but im compelled to keep trying and asking. Lenovo X220 no sound through speakers only through headphones. Ive read at least a hundred threads on this and tried the suggested solutions, but none have worked for me. Ive installed and...
  6. Sound playing through both speakers and headphones

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound playing through both speakers and headphones: Thank you for your time in advance. Since the latest larger windows update about a month ago, I have been having a problem that I cannot seem to solve with the standard solutions and what I could find from googling several hours on several days. Upon starting my computer,...
  7. no sound plays through internal speakers

no sound plays through internal speakers: I cannot get any sound to play through the internal speakers of my laptop. It did play previously. The speaker in the task bar has a red and white x and the trouble shooter says no speakers headphones plugged in. When I pull up the info on sound it lists its location at HDMI...
  8. Game sounds not playing through laptop speakers.

Game sounds not playing through laptop speakers.: I have recently develped an issue.I cannot play video game sounds through my laptop speaker.Other sounds such as music,movies and notifications work just fine.Its just the game sounds.So i assumed it was some kind of driver issue so i checked realtek and intel audio drivers...
  9. No sound from rear speakers

No sound from rear speakers: I have recently moved house and on setting up my media pc, I noticed I was not getting any sound out of my rear speakers. A channel test on the receiver confirmed that they are working, so the issue has to be with Windows. I just upgraded it with a new SSD and case and...
  10. 5.1 Speakers-Sound Coming Out Rear And Front?

5.1 Speakers-Sound Coming Out Rear And Front?: My speakers work fine. Not sure how long it's been like it. I have a Creative sound card. But basically, when I test or configure the sound settings the speakers work, but when it comes to the front right speaker, the sound also comes out of the rear right one, too. No idea...