Windows 10: 2.5" Samsung EVO SSD, will it work on a desktop PC power-sata cables?

Discus and support 2.5" Samsung EVO SSD, will it work on a desktop PC power-sata cables? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was thinking of buying a 2.5" SSD. Do they just plug into the same cables as a 3.5" hard drive? 124350 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Dec 29, 2018.

1. 2.5" Samsung EVO SSD, will it work on a desktop PC power-sata cables?

I was thinking of buying a 2.5" SSD. Do they just plug into the same cables as a 3.5" hard drive?

:)

sdowney717, Dec 29, 2018
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 29, 2018
  4. desennium Win User

2.5" Samsung EVO SSD, will it work on a desktop PC power-sata cables?

Samsung 860 Evo SSD Spotted In SATA-IO Listing

The Samsung 850 EVO SSD has been in the market for almost three years now. In what seems to be an eternity in tech years the 850 EVO SSD, sporting the 3D NAND flash memory, has held its own in the consumer space. Back when it was released, the 850 EVO SSD heralded a new generation of price and performance combination that established it in the high end enthusiast market. With sequential read speeds of up to 550 MB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 520 MB/s, 4 KB Random Read of up to 100,000 IOPS and 4KB Random Write of up to 90,000 IOPS, the 850 EVO solidified and marked a new era of SSD computing.

But now it looks like the 860 EVO will take over where the 850 EVO left off. The 860 EVO SSD has been spotted in the database of the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) in the integrators listing as having passed interoperability. The 860 comes in variants of 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB and 4 TB SATA III in a 2.5-inch 7 mm form factor with support for Native Command Queuing (NCQ), ASR, SSP, IPMh, 3 Gb/s and 6 Gb/s transfer speeds. The 250GB drive is labeled under MZ7LH250**** with the following, 500****, 1T0****, 2T0**** marked respectively. No announcement has been made by Samsung.

2.5" Samsung EVO SSD, will it work on a desktop PC power-sata cables? rcdiKxtxlb11Alcd_thm.jpg

Source: SATA-IO

desennium, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

2.5" Samsung EVO SSD, will it work on a desktop PC power-sata cables?

1. 2.5" Samsung EVO SSD, will it work on a desktop PC power-sata cables? - Similar Threads - Samsung EVO SSD

2. Problem with Samsung EVO 870 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Samsung EVO 870 SSD: Hi!I just installed a Samsung EVO 870 SSD. It does appear in my device management but it doesn't in file explorer and storage management. So i cannot use it. If anyone has a solution i would very much appreciate it :....
  3. Samsung introduces new and faster 870 Evo SATA SSD

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung introduces new and faster 870 Evo SATA SSD: [img] New 870 EVO is ideal for both general and professional use 38% higher random read performance speeds up everyday computing tasks 30% improved sustained performance further extends SSD endurance Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology,...
  4. Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO PLUS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO PLUS: I have recently got an new m.2 SSD and wanted to install it to my motherboard. After doing so I encountered and error stating "Boot from proper device". My HDD has my OS on it and changed the order of boot in the bios but still ran into the issue stated. tried many things...
  5. Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2: Hi I recently installed Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 on my Dell Inspiron 3268. Using Samsung Data migration tool, I copied my OS to SSD and wanted to make SSD as my boot drive, but is not getting shown up in BIOS as boot option. I can see PCI as loaded in BIOS, can also see...
  6. NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO: What kind of M.2 do I have? NVMe vs SATA? That is the question here! Hi! I have this notebook: Dell G3 5379 and want to get a fast SSD Drive. Will this one fit? I'm confused about NVMe. My notebook has an M.2 slot and so far I only used traditional SATA 2.5" SSD drives....
  7. Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3

Samsung SSD On Sata to USB3 Adapter Cable Shows As SCSI Not USB3: My external Sata Samsung SSD (on a Sata to USB3 adapter cable plugged into a USB3 motherboard external port) shows as a SCSI drive and not as a USB3 drive in Device Manager on my computer. It should show as a USB3 device As a result, the transfer speeds which should operate...
  8. Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance

Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance: I recently bought a Samsung SSD 850 Evo which i cannected to my MS Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 Pro using a Type C usb Sabrent Cablrle. After formatting the drive i tried to invoke Rapid Mode but failed. The Magician software does not allow me to do so. I have downgraded...
  9. Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems

Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems: Hi, I run the Samsung Magician, and in its System Information, stated AHCI Mode is Deactivated and SATA Interface is unable to be detected. How to resolve this, please help? Thank you guys! [img] 74257
  10. Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Samsung SSD 850 EVO: [img] About This Product Upgrade virtually every aspect of your computer’s performance with Samsung’s new 850 EVO, designed with state-of-the-art SSD advancements including 3D V-NAND technology. As the next generation beyond the bestselling 840 EVO, you’ll get the...