Windows 10: 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

Discus and support 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have, with problems managed to install W10 on a NVMe disk, but my 2,5" SSD are nowhere to be seen. they are GPT disks and so I assume the NVMe also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mr.Hansen, May 8, 2019.

1. Mr.Hansen Win User

2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

I have, with problems managed to install W10 on a NVMe disk, but my 2,5" SSD are nowhere to be seen. they are GPT disks and so I assume the NVMe also are (GPT are greyed out in diskmanager.
    So what can I do to get acess ?
    Finn

***Moved from Insiders forum***

:)

Mr.Hansen, May 8, 2019
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, May 8, 2019
  3. Aitch Win User
    clean install W10 on SSD designated drive B

Ha! Thanks for the reply bulldog. I'm actually an old-old timer. Started out on a Sequent? over 30 years ago using SuperCalc for an undergrad business course. I've learned a ton and built many PCs but still feel clueless given the rate of change. I
    just thought that perhaps those anachronistic drive letter assignments had gone by the wayside. Guess not.

I finally figured out the process for me was:

1)disconnect the old boot SSD with W7 from the SATA cable,

2)hook up the new blank SSD to same,

3)then put the W10 install flash drive in the USB port,

4)then go into the BIOS setup to enable boot from USB port

5)finally install W10 from the W10 install flash drive (vaguely called installation media) to new SSD

Now I'll need to figure out dual boot of W10 or W7.

Aitch, May 8, 2019
  4. 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

Sensors dont work after W10 update

Toshiba WTA-8 tablet. After the latest W10 update (installed 5/5/2018) my sensors (compass, auto-rotate etc.) have stopped working and the device has vanished on Device Manager. Location works OK. Any suggestions?

tramwayinfo, May 8, 2019
Thema:

2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

1. 2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10 - Similar Threads - SSD vanished installation

2. My SSD vanished overnight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD vanished overnight: Hello, I have an MSI laptop GE75 Raider with an additional SSD Crucial P1 1TB NVMe installed, and this additional drive is now nowhere to be found. It doesn't appear in any file explorer or device manager page, nor did the Intel memory tool find anything. If there are any non...
  3. My SSD vanished overnight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD vanished overnight: Hello, I have an MSI laptop GE75 Raider with an additional SSD Crucial P1 1TB NVMe installed, and this additional drive is now nowhere to be found. It doesn't appear in any file explorer or device manager page, nor did the Intel memory tool find anything. If there are any non...
  4. Bluescreen after installing a m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluescreen after installing a m.2 ssd: dear microsoft,i am encountering bluesreen after installing a transcend 830s 256gb m.2 ssd on unit HP Probook 430 G4 and HP Probook 440 G4 after doing a systam update with windows 10.regards,...
  5. Bluescreen after installing a m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bluescreen after installing a m.2 ssd: dear microsoft,i am encountering bluesreen after installing a transcend 830s 256gb m.2 ssd on unit HP Probook 430 G4 and HP Probook 440 G4 after doing a systam update with windows 10.regards,...
  6. Bluescreen after installing a m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install W10 after HDD to SSD swap: I have a Dell Precision 3630 tower set up in RAID 1 with two 2TB HDD's. I removed both drives and installed two new 2TB Western Digital 2.5" SSD's. I insert my W10 thumb drive, it goes through the loading file process and gets to the screen where I select between 32 & 64 bit...
  8. Several BSOD after installing W10 into an Intel SSD M.2 NVME

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Several BSOD after installing W10 into an Intel SSD M.2 NVME: Several BSOD after installing W10 into a SSD M.2 NVME. Pc - Album on Imgur Windows 10 Version: 1909 OS Build: 18363.592 150050
  9. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....
  10. Vanishing SSD Space ... :\

in Windows 10 Support
    Vanishing SSD Space ... :\: What ? About a week ago I had 55 GB free. Now I only have 27. Why ? My downloads folder is clean. So is my trash folder. If I right-click everything (including hidden files) in the C: drive, it says 62 GB. If I right-click the whole drive, it says 84 GB used. It doesn't make...