Windows 10: 2 Desktop locations?

Discus and support 2 Desktop locations? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Today I re-installed Windows 10 due to some issues I caused myself and it was deemed easier to just re-install Windows. Either way, I think everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by v2sly, Dec 26, 2020.

1. v2sly Win User

2 Desktop locations?

Today I re-installed Windows 10 due to some issues I caused myself and it was deemed easier to just re-install Windows.

Either way, I think everything now works apart from 1 thing.

My Desktop under my user is set to location: C:\users\MYUSER\OneDrive

But as I've been installing new programmes with shortcuts on my physical desktop, i've noticed they're not appearing within the actual folder called 'Desktop', located under the 'This PC' tree, or under Quick Access etc.

I created a 'new folder' as a test within the folder and funnily enough, this also then appeared instantly on my desktop, with the OneDrive green tick.

So I just installed STEAM, and the shortcut appears on my physical desktop, but not within the folder. I have however now discovered, the shortcut is saved to: C:\users\Public\Public Desktop

How can I amend this? I obviously only want 1 desktop, there are no other users and there will be no other users in the future. I don't want shortcuts appearing in one location, and some shortcuts appearing in another area.

Before the reset, my desktop was not even linked to the OneDrive, so this whole situation to me is bazaar.

I hope this makes sense. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers.

:)

v2sly, Dec 26, 2020

2. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Cyndera80 Win User
    Cannot move desktop to a new location in Windows 7

I've been trying to move the desktop location on a machine that runs Windows 7.

On my own machine (Windows 10), there's a "Location" tab in the desktop properties.

That tab is missing on the machine that runs Windows 7.

I came across the suggestion below in other threads, but it is not working for me. Any other suggestions on how to change to location or how to get the location tab to show?

Thanks!

1. Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    2. Browse to the location:

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    3. In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).
    4. Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    5. Close the registry editor and log off

--> Didn't work.

Cyndera80, Dec 26, 2020
  4. 2 Desktop locations?

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

2 Desktop locations?

1. 2 Desktop locations? - Similar Threads - Desktop locations

2. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.: Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called...
  3. After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After an update all my files & folders are noww located on my desktop.: Using Windows 11.. I recently did a Windows update on my 4 month old Dell desktop and now ALL my files are located on my desktop. THEY ARE NOT SHORT CUTS.I called Dell.. BIG MISTAKE.. and they deleted them and had me reload from my backup. It happened again. Then I called...
  4. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  5. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  6. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  7. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  8. OneDrive is My only Desktop, Documents, and Photos file location and i ran out of my 5gb....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive is My only Desktop, Documents, and Photos file location and i ran out of my 5gb....: Hello, I bought a nice PC with Windows 11 about 5 months ago. I didn't realize that i was getting into OneDrive or i would've done something about it sooner. Well about a month ago, I got a notification saying that a sync could not be performed and to clean out some space in...
  9. OneDrive is My only Desktop, Documents, and Photos file location and i ran out of my 5gb....

OneDrive is My only Desktop, Documents, and Photos file location and i ran out of my 5gb....: Hello, I bought a nice PC with Windows 11 about 5 months ago. I didn't realize that i was getting into OneDrive or i would've done something about it sooner. Well about a month ago, I got a notification saying that a sync could not be performed and to clean out some space in...
  10. Messed up moving location of Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up moving location of Desktop: I had a laptop with a small 500GB SSD main drive c:\I installed another 2TB SSD as drive d:\I put all my stuff on d:\, in folders not in the root. There's a lot of stuff!I like to use the Windows Desktop as a working area but some of it is bulky so I wanted to move it to...