Windows 10: 2 Desktop locations?

Discus and support 2 Desktop locations? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Today I re-installed Windows 10 due to some issues I caused myself and it was deemed easier to just re-install Windows. Either way, I think everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by v2sly, Dec 26, 2020.

1. v2sly Win User

2 Desktop locations?

Today I re-installed Windows 10 due to some issues I caused myself and it was deemed easier to just re-install Windows.

Either way, I think everything now works apart from 1 thing.

My Desktop under my user is set to location: C:\users\MYUSER\OneDrive

But as I've been installing new programmes with shortcuts on my physical desktop, i've noticed they're not appearing within the actual folder called 'Desktop', located under the 'This PC' tree, or under Quick Access etc.

I created a 'new folder' as a test within the folder and funnily enough, this also then appeared instantly on my desktop, with the OneDrive green tick.

So I just installed STEAM, and the shortcut appears on my physical desktop, but not within the folder. I have however now discovered, the shortcut is saved to: C:\users\Public\Public Desktop

How can I amend this? I obviously only want 1 desktop, there are no other users and there will be no other users in the future. I don't want shortcuts appearing in one location, and some shortcuts appearing in another area.

Before the reset, my desktop was not even linked to the OneDrive, so this whole situation to me is bazaar.

I hope this makes sense. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers.

:)

v2sly, Dec 26, 2020

2. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Cyndera80 Win User
    Cannot move desktop to a new location in Windows 7

I've been trying to move the desktop location on a machine that runs Windows 7.

On my own machine (Windows 10), there's a "Location" tab in the desktop properties.

That tab is missing on the machine that runs Windows 7.

I came across the suggestion below in other threads, but it is not working for me. Any other suggestions on how to change to location or how to get the location tab to show?

Thanks!

1. Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    2. Browse to the location:

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    3. In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).
    4. Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    5. Close the registry editor and log off

--> Didn't work.

Cyndera80, Dec 26, 2020
  4. 2 Desktop locations?

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

2 Desktop locations?

1. 2 Desktop locations? - Similar Threads - Desktop locations

2. Some of my desktop icons change location upon restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of my desktop icons change location upon restart: Ok, so I just updated my version of Windows 10 to 20h2 a few days ago. Since then however, I have had an odd issue. The icon for "This PC" keeps moving to a different location upon start up. This is the only icon that moves, and I never had this issue before the update. I've...
  3. Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location

Windows deleted existing files when moving desktop location: I built a new desktop and did a fresh install of windows on a new drive. I also had my old drives installed on the system, so I right clicked 'Desktop' folder and went to properties and moved it to my existing Desktop on my old drive. This deleted all my files and made an...
  4. Excel App not working after moving to desktop location

Excel App not working after moving to desktop location: Excel was one of my apps, but I wanted to move it from having to look it up in the bottom left corner to onto my desktop. I moved it but now it won’t open, and no longer shows up as one of my apps. I could have possibly somehow messed up the shortcut or something else, but...
  5. HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix?

HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix?: I was preparing my PC by changing the default locations of the folders such as Videos, Photos, Documents etc, so that they would be on my OneDrive on the C:\, which I had just moved across from my J:\ which I am replacing. My Desktop 'location' was also set to my J:\...
  6. Can't restore desktop to original location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't restore desktop to original location: Hi, I moved my Desktop to my D drive, but accidentally didn't put it in a subfolder. Now my Desktop shows the entire contents of my D drive. I want to restore it to its original location, but it fails and I receive this error: Failed to build the list of regular...
  7. Windows 10 desktop folder synchronization issue with files moved to server location that...

Windows 10 desktop folder synchronization issue with files moved to server location that...: I began moving user primary local folders -- Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures & Videos to a server location for redundancy. After I moved the users desktop folder location I noticed any files that were not shortcuts no longer worked. I would receive a message that the...
  8. One drive folder showing up c:\user\desktop the default location name c:\user\userid to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    One drive folder showing up c:\user\desktop the default location name c:\user\userid to...: One drive folder showing up c:\user\desktop the default location name c:\user\userid to c:\user\desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-folder-showing-up-cuserdesktop-the/d6b55008-1019-4ddd-b134-6bf3f7e6c3ed
  9. Change default save location to Desktop

Change default save location to Desktop: For a Windows 10 laptop, is there a way to change the default save location from Onedrive to the PC Desktop? I don’t like to save Word files on the cloud, especially as some documents are sensitive. Every time I click ‘save’ on a new document, I always have to click a few...
  10. Missing location tab in OneDrive > Desktop > Properties; moving desktop back to PC

Missing location tab in OneDrive > Desktop > Properties; moving desktop back to PC: OneDrive was on, although I did not want to use it. Today I turned it off, then discovered that everything on my laptop's desktop disappeared. I realized that it was all in onedrive > Desktop folder. I found instructions on how to move my desktop back to my laptop device...