Windows 10: 2 Desktops - Network sharing help please..

Discus and support 2 Desktops - Network sharing help please.. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every time i check one thing off my "to fix" list another pops up! I have 2 desktops next to one another and for the sake of explaining we'll call... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Jul 12, 2017.

1. klepp0906 Win User

2 Desktops - Network sharing help please..

Every time i check one thing off my "to fix" list another pops up!

I have 2 desktops next to one another and for the sake of explaining we'll call them main & backup.

main can only see main under network (in explorer)

backup can see backup and main under network (in explorer)

I have used the network path/address bar and I can connect to backup from main via that means, however for some reason the pc simply will not see/discover backup on its own.

need the pro's on this one before i make things worse ;p

:)

klepp0906, Jul 12, 2017

2. Share PC's internet connection with WP8 phone over USB/Bluetooth?

Wifi network is somehow helpful for share internet from laptop to windows phone 8. But it is not helpful desktop due no wifi is in desktop.

Have any alternate way to share desktop internet to windows phone, please suggest...

TripatiPrasadPadhi, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 network

I have a desktop and a Surface, which uses only wireless networking. How can I setup 2 networks that are independent? No data sharing, but want to share same printer. I want to isolate the Surface and its wireless network from my desktop.

TTommy_473, Jul 12, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

There is a known issue with 1703 and network discovery/master browser where networked PCs don't show up in File Explorer. Until MS fixes it, you have to use \\computer\sharename or map the shares.

There are a couple of workarounds ....
    1. If you have a router that has file sharing via USB port (and you have a USB stick) - Shut down all PC's, insert USB stick in the router setup sharing thru router admin (may need to reboot router), then start the other PCs. This should make the router the Master Browser.

2. If you have a pre 1703 PC (1607,win7,win8) on your network - Shut down all PC's, start the pre 1703 PC first, then the other PC's. This should make the pre 1703 PC the Master Browser.

Eagle51, Jul 12, 2017
  5. klepp0906 Win User
    aaah. so my time spent troubleshooting and reading for hours on end was fruitless/pointless eh? LoL.

Well.. for science im gonna have to test this out. Unfortunately i rarely run the backup pc but when I do i flick it on to toss files back or forth. That makes this largely unbeneficial to me (starting backup first since its always turned off anyhow and leavin git running for this sake is just nto worth it).

whats odd is main & backup pc are both on 1703. Also as of this morning JUST formatted main pc and still on a fresh format can only see itself and not backup, yet backup can see itself and main.

its always something! used to be the fun part of being a pc enthusiast. Now that im old, its just frustrating ;p

thank you for the reply btw

klepp0906, Jul 14, 2017
  6. jagman Win User
    Welcome to Microsoft's OS's. Especially Windows 10. You are lucky, I have wastes a week with SHARING and still will not work on all my PCs. One router, all in same house.... all same PW, same account, only thing different is the "COMPUTER NAMES" LIKE, LAPTOP, DESKTOP....
    Wonder if Microsoft will ever fix as heard is over one year old problem, they never told anyone, etc. They just let us FLAP in the wind. Also heard, THEY don't have a clue what it is, or how to fix.

Will admit, 10 IS THE WORST RELEASE (besides maybe VISTA) since DOS 1.0

jagman, Jul 14, 2017
  7. klepp0906 Win User
    Lol you know 10 has its charms but creators update specifically ugh...

In general windows os are getting worse and will continue to now that they're just sequentially improved upon.

Trying too hard to be OS X but I digress.

So the naming thing has me curious - any idea if changing that fixes or helps anything? For example pc names are Main-user and backup-user. Wonder if changing to main-user and main-backup would help anything.

I guess it's easy enough to test. Just have my hands full with re configuring a pc since I had to format. Insider build blew it up. Never again *Tongue

klepp0906, Jul 14, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

I've seen a couple comments about this, but have NOT seen it fix or affect the Network Discovery/Master Browser issue.

Run your insider builds in a VM, I use Virtualbox *Smile

Eagle51, Jul 14, 2017
  9. klepp0906 Win User
    Yep. I'm one of those folk that need to learn things the hard way *Tongue

Vm for sure next time lol

klepp0906, Jul 14, 2017
  10. jagman Win User
    All I want is a OS to get faster, more reliable, more efficient. And some new features and maybe some poor ones, not well used to be removed.
    But making a new release that is confusing, not tested well, worst, HARD to navigate just makes users mad about the wasted time to relearn things that are NOT improvements.

Having been in this business over 55 years in mainframes, being an Unix Sys Admin Admin, I CAN SAY Unix is not like this, they just make it better.
    ON this forum, lots of advice for fixes are like UNIX LINE COMMANDS , WHILE WINDOWS is a GUI bases System so why so many fixes, customization is done to the Registry, and LINE COMMANDS.
    This can only be, Microsoft poor planning, things that go wrong out the GUI, and have to be done now, at code level because they did not think of it during development

jagman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 2 Desktops - Network sharing help please.. - Similar Threads - Desktops Network sharing

2. Help with sorting out network sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with sorting out network sharing: I have spent hours and hours on this and seem to be stuck.I have 3 PCs on my private network, all running Windows 11. Mine is A, my wife's is B, the file server is now C.I just replaced one of them D which served as our network storage and also runs a Plex server.I moved the...
  3. Help with sorting out network sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with sorting out network sharing: I have spent hours and hours on this and seem to be stuck.I have 3 PCs on my private network, all running Windows 11. Mine is A, my wife's is B, the file server is now C.I just replaced one of them D which served as our network storage and also runs a Plex server.I moved the...
  4. Network / Notwork Help please.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network / Notwork Help please.: I have 3 PC's at home - one is my server and has about 50TB, the other 2 are my wife's and my PC's. They all use W10 Pro - 20H2. They used to network happily under Windows Home server, then home group and now having allowed W10 automatic updates for a while, I officially...
  5. Crash report sharing, please help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Crash report sharing, please help: I need to send a crash report of something to somebody, but I can’t send it because it includes my PC directory, which is C:\Users\<MyName>, and this is literally EVERYWHERE. The thing is that when I search it up, I can see EXACTLY what’s in my folders. If i send the report...
  6. Help please 2

Help please 2: Ok so i wanted to enter the settings by searching on the search bar and as soon as is searched setting the icon of the setting was a weird picture like not the actuall picture of the setting and i dont know how to change it back to the actuall picture i really need help...
  7. Need help with network sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with network sharing: Hi I'm using a program called pdanet+ so that I can play on my ps4 and I have 2 laptops One has windows 10 and one has windows 8 The windows 8 laptop is from 2014 but it does a faster job than my beefy windows 10 laptop is there any way to make my windows 10 laptop make a...
  8. Network issue! Please help!

Network issue! Please help!: I am trying to share drives from one PC to another. Both running windows 10 pro. Both Ethernet through a router. Have shared a drive... have granted access to everyone.... Computers see each other. But if click on either CPU.. I get the dreaded... Windows cannot access\\...
  9. Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!: Ugh -- network with 15 Win 10 machines running build 1803. With an insane amount of work, we made it past HomeGroup removal last May, & network sharing was working fine until yesterday. Two computers got the update to build 1809 yesterday, and that seriously broke sharing...
  10. Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet

Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet: Hi, I'm having problems with trying to share my Wi-Fi connection to another device via Ethernet. When I plug the cord in it says, "Unidentifiable network" and "no access type" If I run the troubleshooter, it says, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"...