Windows 10: 2 different 1 GB NICs on 400 mb internet connection runs slow

Discus and support 2 different 1 GB NICs on 400 mb internet connection runs slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok, I am stumped, I have a 400 Mb internet connection, three other devices are getting speedtests in the range of ~480 Mb Down, My desktop (Old gaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Wolfie0827, Jul 25, 2019.

1. 2 different 1 GB NICs on 400 mb internet connection runs slow

Ok, I am stumped, I have a 400 Mb internet connection, three other devices are getting speedtests in the range of ~480 Mb Down, My desktop (Old gaming rig) using two different 1 Gb NICs gets ~130 Mb down.

Troubleshooting steps, I won't list the details of all the Windows changes I have tried, but I have tried just about every one that seemed to apply. Tried known good cat 5E and cat 6 cables, tried different ports on th ASUS router, tried direct connection to Cable Modem, Tried updated and even downgraded drivers for both NICs.

I just can not think of anything else to try.

Specs for devices:
    PC: ASUS m4a78pro with AMD Phenom 9500 quad core at 2200.0 MHz

NIC1: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168B/8111B PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter On-Board

NIC2: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI adapter

Both are 1 Gb capable NICs. and they do show as being connected at 1 GB in the properties. So I am totally flummoxed and at a stand still in fixing this. If anyone has any ideas or needs more information just let me know. And thanks in advance.

:)

Wolfie0827, Jul 25, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

LAN - 1 Gb/s on VM, 100 Mb/s on W10 HOST (HYPER -V)

Hi there

Both physical NICs are 1 Gb/s - Yellow led indicates 100 Mb/s, Green Led indicates 1 Gb/s
    Am using separate Nics on VM and HOST.

Linux driver using physical Driver for the Nic (Nic 1). Windows using physical driver for Nic 2.

Intel normally has the most reliable and installable Nic drivers !!!!!. Wifi is another issue but I'm not using that on this machine at all.

Running Linux on HOST machine BOTH Leds are Green (indicating 1 Gb/s)

Native Windows on Host without HYPER-V -- still indicates Yellow Led (100 Gb/s). I physically carried server to Router and attached small piece of LAN (0.5 metre) directly to Router. -- Router indicates 1 Gb/s while LED on Nic adapter was only 100 Mb/s so definitely something wrong with driver / hardware compatibility. I tried BOTH NIC's (2 physical NIC's on Host) - same result so it's not just 1 NIC being defective.

I think it must be a HOST driver issue -- am looking further. !!

Thanks for the info.

Curious -- 99% of my problems on Windows seem to be with Networking in one area or another !!!!!.

I tried restoring both a W7 image and XP image individually (to HOST machine) - Lan adapter Led immediately switched to GREEN at 1 Gb/s for BOTH OS'es so definitely W10 doesn't like my driver or there's some hidden / obscure settings I need to change.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 25, 2019
  3. NEZ
    nez Win User
    Internet running very slow

Hi, i am wireless, but did connect with wire and made no difference. Also ps3 is running fine so no probably with connection. Have listed current updates below. It says downloading, but they never seem to download

2 different 1 GB NICs on 400 mb internet connection runs slow [​IMG]

Also have this from download history

This is the version details of windows

This maybe an old version. When my computer downloaded the anniversary update i recall it messed up my internet on that occasion, so i went back to the previous version

4. SanyaIV Win User

2 different 1 GB NICs on 400 mb internet connection runs slow

Windows uses wrong NIC in a dual NIC setup, Ignores metric at times.

Well can I manually force it to not do this or force it to a specific mode? I mean it works fine 90% of the time but then seemingly randomly Windows will just push all traffic that previously went on NIC 1 to NIC 2. So I can use NIC 1 and NIC 2 simultaneously for hours and then suddenly Windows will stop using NIC 1 for all normal traffic and try to use NIC 2 instead, even though my firewall blocks all applications from using NIC 2 (which I think it should realize and start sending the traffic via NIC 1 again)

It's not actually two different VLANs, it's the same LAN, same subnet. Just that all applications should take NIC 1 to reach it and Tixati NIC 2 to reach it. The routes reflect this by NIC 1 and NIC 2 having the same settings just that NIC 1 has a much lower metric which should mean that Windows should use NIC 1 instead of NIC 2.

Nothing like that is done with the VPN, the VPN part is working great. The VPN is running on the router and has two connections connections and the router routes traffic from NIC 1 to VPN 1 and NIC 2 to VPN 2, so everything there is working great. The thing that isn't working is the dual connections between router and computer, I don't want Windows to load balance or bridge or fallback, I want Windows to treat them as two different networks of which only one should be used by it which is NIC 1 (But NIC 2 should be enabled and available so that Tixati can force itself to use it)

Although it sounds like Windows just won't let me set this up? Sounds like it forces what it thinks is best for my system even if it isn't? I guess I'll just have to disable/enable NIC 1 every time it happens then.

Thanks for answering. =)

SanyaIV, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

2 different 1 GB NICs on 400 mb internet connection runs slow

1. 2 different 1 GB NICs on 400 mb internet connection runs slow - Similar Threads - different NICs 400

2. Why is my wi-fi download slow to 1 to 2 mb/ from 100 to 200 Mb/s

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my wi-fi download slow to 1 to 2 mb/ from 100 to 200 Mb/s: Why is my wi-fi download slow to 1 to 2 mb/ from 100 to 200 Mb/s https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-wi-fi-download-slow-to-1-to-2-mb-from/19d5f7a0-b3ed-44ee-903c-952d6ef0b894
  3. Why is my wi-fi download slow to 1 to 2 mb/ from 100 to 200 Mb/s

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my wi-fi download slow to 1 to 2 mb/ from 100 to 200 Mb/s: Why is my wi-fi download slow to 1 to 2 mb/ from 100 to 200 Mb/s https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-wi-fi-download-slow-to-1-to-2-mb-from/19d5f7a0-b3ed-44ee-903c-952d6ef0b894
  4. Halo Wars 2 Stuck at 38.14 MB of 48.40 GB

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Halo Wars 2 Stuck at 38.14 MB of 48.40 GB: The Microsoft Store continues to be an absolutely terrible experience. It's a buggy mess that makes the Epic Store look good. It gets stuck downloading Halo Wars 2 at 38.14MB on my F drive Which is an external SSD, It gives me either error code: 0x80073cf9 or 0x803fb107 when...
  5. Internet Connect SLOW to connect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet Connect SLOW to connect: Windows 10 Version 20H2. Desktop PC its 6 years old...for sometime it has taken longer to complete Bootup....Desktop displays but Blue circle circles....3 to 5 mins before I can use PC. Of late, the Internet is now also taking longer to connect. It has nothing to do with my...
  6. Internet Connect SLOW to connect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Connect SLOW to connect: Windows 10 Version 20H2. Desktop PC its 6 years old...for sometime it has taken longer to complete Bootup....Desktop displays but Blue circle circles....3 to 5 mins before I can use PC. Of late, the Internet is now also taking longer to connect. It has nothing to do with my...
  7. Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC: I have a interesting situation. We work in a large building where I lease a smaller office space. Internet is provided to all of my 4 employees but we are not connected on one "Private" network . (The building provides internet thru wired NIC). So we are unable to share...
  8. 2 different USB wireless adapters will not connect to the internet.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 different USB wireless adapters will not connect to the internet.: My older generic USB wireless adapter stopped being able to connect to the internet on my Dell Desktop/ Win10. I have used it on this computer for years. It was working great but then suddenly stopped connecting. It works on other computers just by plugging it in & opening...
  9. GT 710 with 2 GB of DDR3 or 1 GB of DDR5?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GT 710 with 2 GB of DDR3 or 1 GB of DDR5?: Which do you think is better? This GT 710 with 2 GB of DDR3 (64 bit) or this GT 710 with 1 GB of GDDR5 (32 bit) keeping in mind I don't game, but watch a lot of 1080p video and have 100s of tabs open at a time in Firefox. My computer: CPU: Athlon II X2 250 3.00 GHz MB:...
  10. 400 GB upload to OneDrive failing

in Windows 10 Support
    400 GB upload to OneDrive failing: I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 forum question or a OneDrive forum question. I have about 400 GB on a drive on my PC stored as J:>Music>Lossless>Artist>Album>tracks. I am trying to upload it to OneDrive to a folder Music. I am dragging the folder from J: to OneDrive...