Windows 10: 2 drive letters for same external drive

Discus and support 2 drive letters for same external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 2-22-2020 Stats: windows 10 pro 64 bit, Macrium reflect, 2 external drives, 2 SSds - one for windows 10 and the other for my data The two external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jps99, Feb 22, 2020.

1. jps99 Win User

2 drive letters for same external drive

2-22-2020
    Stats: windows 10 pro 64 bit, Macrium reflect,
    2 external drives, 2 SSds - one for windows
    10 and the other for my data

The two external drives are showing up in internet
    explorer with the same drive letter. EX: ff and kk
    Can't find an article on the internet that works.
    I try to keep my hands off the registry.
    Please help.
    Thank you.

:)

jps99, Feb 22, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Feb 22, 2020
  3. WD external drive letter change

Hi @WilliamSlessor!

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion with the external drive. What I would suggest is to go in Disk Management and try to reassign the letters on both drives with a third one, and then go back to the original letters. For instance - change the G:G: drive to
    M:, and then reassign it as G: again.

You can follow the steps described in this KB article:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=T1tsut

Hope this helps and let us know how it went.

MightyMiro_WD, Feb 22, 2020
  4. 2 drive letters for same external drive

External Hard Drive "is not accessible"

Hi Ridhwan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Let me continue to assist you further.

The issue here could have been due to fact that the Drive I:\ is encrypted or a flush drive. This forces the computer to not recognize the format and displays the error message. I suggest here to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + letter 'X.'
    • Choose 'Disk Management.'
    • Right click on the External drive and select 'Change Drive letter and Path names.'
    • Rename the drive letter i.e. remove letter I and say you replace it with letter
      J.
    • Restart the computer and check the issue status.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

2 drive letters for same external drive

1. 2 drive letters for same external drive - Similar Threads - drive letters same

2. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  3. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  4. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  5. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  6. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  7. Permanent Drive Letters for External Devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permanent Drive Letters for External Devices: I seem to recall in the past that if I assigned a drive letter to an external device it would always be that letter whenever I plugged it in. Right now any external device I connect just takes the next letter after the devices that are currently connected. Is there a setting...
  8. windows 10 2 drive letters for 1 drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 2 drive letters for 1 drive: I upgraded my computer a LOT. AMD Threadripper 1950x with msi x399 board. 16g memory. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1650 NEW PROBLEM My E: drive, an old 1T Seagate has a twin drive, F:, showing in My Computer. It is ALMOST exactly the same as the E:. FreeFileSync shows just a few...
  9. external hard drive not given letter designation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not given letter designation: external hard drive enclosure not recognized in file explorer No drive letter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-given-letter-designation/2f1aa938-df94-4b5e-b9c0-589cb9adbf29
  10. 2nd External Drive does not have a Drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd External Drive does not have a Drive letter: I have Win 10 trying to connect a 2nd external drive and it should show up as F. The internal drive shows up as C, the first external drive shows up as E. Can't seem to get the 2nd one to show up on new PC. It works on my other PC's. Went to Computer Management, Disk...