Windows 10: 2 HDMI ports only 1 works

Discus and support 2 HDMI ports only 1 works in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Intel i7-9700F @ 3GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti I have one Monitor hooked up works fine and I'm attempting to hook up a 2nd monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by footthe, Sep 9, 2020.

1. footthe Win User

2 HDMI ports only 1 works

Intel i7-9700F @ 3GHz 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

I have one Monitor hooked up works fine and I'm attempting to hook up a 2nd monitor to the 2nd HDMI display port on the PC yet NOTHING happens.

Both HDMI cables and Both Monitors work when using the initial HDMI port alone.

My GPU is up to date, Windows 10 is up to date.

When I try to change from "PC Screen Only" to "Extend" and I can't. I select "extend", close the menu, reopen it and I'm back on "pc screen only"

Every shred of help I can find online is from 3 - 5 years ago

Is this an internal hardware issue? Do I have to get it repaired?
    I've only had the PC for a few days it's not old nor have I changed anything.

The windows troubleshoot page I keep getting referred to doesn't have any option to trouble shoot displays or monitors or anything of the sort.

:)

footthe, Sep 9, 2020

2. HDMI Port Stopped Working

I generally use a second monitor via an HDMI cable while working. However, it stopped working today.

I checked these:

• Windows cannot detect a second monitor when HDMI cable is connected to the second monitor.
    • HDMI cable which I use works if another device is connected to the second monitor.
    • My computer detects my HDMI-to-VGA converter through HDMI port.

My computer runs Windows 10 Home with latest updates installed.

I suspect this is due to a driver error. How can I fix this problem?

yildizabdullah, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    HDMI port not installed. Recent updates may be the problem.

Hi GeraldParkhurst,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Which version of Windows you are using on both the computers? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)
    3. Do you see any error messages in device manager after connecting the HDMI cable?

This might have occurred due to some hardware conflicts or driver incompatibility issues. This happens if monitor isn’t getting any input from the currently selected source. To resolve this issue, I would suggest you to follow the
    steps mentioned below.

Method 1: Update drivers.

1. Make sure that the cable are connected with correct ends, output port of the laptop and the input port of the TV/External
    monitor are connected to the right port.

2. While the cable is connected
    open device manager. The problem may occur by the faulty chipset drivers and graphics drivers. Try to update the drivers and check for the issue.

• Press windows and R key together at the keyboard and type:
        devmgmt.msc
      • If you see any display drivers with yellow exclamation sign,
        Update the drivers.
      • Reboot the computer once and check.

Method 2: Change display settings.

1. Press Windows and P key on your keyboard together. You will see a Project option on the right side of the screen.
    2. Select Duplicate or Extend (depends on your requirement) and check.
    3. If it didn’t work, try to
      Change screen resolution and try step 1 and 2
      again.

Method 3: Disconnect and reconnect.

1. Unplug all the TV/monitor cables from the HDMI port.
    2. Unplug the power cable of external monitor or TV for some time.
    3. Plug the power cable back to the computer.
    4. Plug in all the HDMI cables to the computer /TV.
    5. Turn on the device and try Method 2.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Sep 9, 2020
  4. 2 HDMI ports only 1 works

PC has 2 HDMI ports, only 1 works.

My PC has 2 HDMI ports on the back, i think one of them is 'connected' to the graphics card as it also has a DP and DVI ports. When i connect my monitor to the HDMI port which is from the graphics card (GeForce GTX 970), everything works fine and my pc displays
    to the monitor. However, i would like to use a second monitor (for gaming) but when i connect either my tv or monitor to the other HDMI port which ISN'T connected to the graphics card, nothing displays and it doesn't work. I don't know if its because the port
    is disabled or if it only outputs from the graphics card, but i have contacted the company that custom built my PC, and they said that my setup could support 3 monitors/displays.

Please help me to find out how to setup a second monitor?

Thanks in advance,

Bertie

Bertie Kemp, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

2 HDMI ports only 1 works

1. 2 HDMI ports only 1 works - Similar Threads - HDMI ports works

2. I have 2 HDMI ports, but 1 of them isn't working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have 2 HDMI ports, but 1 of them isn't working.: Hi! I recently bought a second monitor, so I could have a better setup. I followed the guide it came with, plugged it in and connected it to my second HDMI port. However, when I turned the monitor on, it said 'No signal'. I attempted to swap the cables between the two HDMI...
  3. I have 2 HDMI ports, but 1 of them isn't working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 2 HDMI ports, but 1 of them isn't working.: Hi! I recently bought a second monitor, so I could have a better setup. I followed the guide it came with, plugged it in and connected it to my second HDMI port. However, when I turned the monitor on, it said 'No signal'. I attempted to swap the cables between the two HDMI...
  4. I have 2 HDMI ports, but 1 of them isn't working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

2 HDMI ports 1 output audio: HeyI have an Acer Swift laptop and I connected a USB-C extender that has 2 USBs, 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI.I have my TV connected to the main HDMI and 1 monitor connected to the extender with another HDMI to VGA extension to the monitor, however, when I have the two connected, the...
  6. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 HDMI ports 1 output audio: HeyI have an Acer Swift laptop and I connected a USB-C extender that has 2 USBs, 1 USB-C and 1 HDMI.I have my TV connected to the main HDMI and 1 monitor connected to the extender with another HDMI to VGA extension to the monitor, however, when I have the two connected, the...
  7. 2 HDMI ports 1 output audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. USB device - stopped working on port 1, now only works on port 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB device - stopped working on port 1, now only works on port 2: Hi, It already happened to me several times - sometimes, a USB device that worked fine on USB1 (just a name of a USB port), stops working on this port, and when I connect this same device to another 'new' USB port, it works. I happened to me with a DisplayLink docking...
  9. 2 hdmi ports

2 hdmi ports: Hello , I recently took apart my computer cabels and moved it - now while setting up i see 2 hdmi do i plug straight into the graphic card or into the circuit board. i want the best and dont want to do anything stupid please help me out. Thank you...
  10. 2 HDMI Ports, One isn't working.

2 HDMI Ports, One isn't working.: Hello, recently I have received a new monitor for my PC. My computer has 2 HDMI ports, so I plugged one in from my new monitor. There was no signal on the monitor. I have read some articles, and they haven't been much help. I have a GTX 1050 Ti....