Windows 10: 2 Machines on same Product Key

Discus and support 2 Machines on same Product Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a very... interesting problem. I bought an old Dell desktop computer a little while ago to run as a second machine for long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Commander Sire, Nov 18, 2018.

1. 2 Machines on same Product Key

Hi there,

I have a very... interesting problem. I bought an old Dell desktop computer a little while ago to run as a second machine for long calculations and other such things. I updated the OS to windows 10 (pro) from windows 7 (pro). It was working fine, and then I decided to dual boot ubuntu and, long story short, deleted an important partition and thoroughly messed up my machine. I realized at the time that I could take the product key from the desktop computer and put it on my laptop, running windows 10 home at the time, so that I could have windows 10 pro on my laptop. My laptop accepted the new key happily and puttered along easily.

Here is the issue. I needed to run a windows program so I re-installed windows 10 onto the old desktop to fix the problems (after formatting the hard drive again) and planned on using it without a product key for a day or two before switching entirely to linux. The problem is that the desktop automatically added its old product key to windows (the same one on my laptop) and is working correctly. Soooooo.......... I have 2 windows 10 machines running windows 10 pro using the same product key. I recently found out that this is not allowed (which I can understand) and would like to change everything back to the way that it was. However, I don't know the original product key for my laptop... How can I fix this. Can I deactivate the key on the desktop computer? I honestly don't know how this whole thing is possible! As an added bonus, my laptop can't find windows updates but the desktop can.

:)

Commander Sire, Nov 18, 2018

2. Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 18, 2018
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Product key

Hi Megan,

A product key is used when activating a software.
    To help us determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps that can resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• What product are you trying to activate?
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Office application?
    • Which version of Office are you trying to activate? To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this
      link.
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Windows?

We look forward to your response.

Sher Amo, Nov 18, 2018
  4. 2 Machines on same Product Key

i know the product id but forget the product key

Hello,

There is still a way to search for your product key. Kindly follow the steps below for you to know your product key:

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (admin)
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    • Then hit Enter
    The product key will be revealed, copy the product key then enter it.

Give us an update on what happens.

Anthony Cato, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

2 Machines on same Product Key

1. 2 Machines on same Product Key - Similar Threads - Machines same Product

2. Windows Product ID same on multiple machines

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Product ID same on multiple machines: Hi admins, I'm not sure if this was asked before in this specific way as i couldnt find any relevant information online. We have a number of workstations, using a clone of a master custom windows 10 image. the product ID on ALL these clone images are the SAME,...
  3. Windows Product ID same on multiple machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Product ID same on multiple machines: Hi admins, I'm not sure if this was asked before in this specific way as i couldnt find any relevant information online. We have a number of workstations, using a clone of a master custom windows 10 image. the product ID on ALL these clone images are the SAME,...
  4. Windows Product ID same on multiple machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. using product keys on virtual machines

using product keys on virtual machines: If i use a windows 10 product key, how can i remove the key so that i can use it on another device, do i simply delete the virtual machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-product-keys-on-virtual-machines/d720704e-b31b-4507-8732-934e84cf205e
  6. Halo 2 product key

Halo 2 product key: Hi I have an old halo 2 game but no product key, can i please have one provided so i can play this game? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/halo-2-product-key/ea587412-d3e9-4335-b196-258a8a6e2e64"
  7. The BitLocker recovery key it's the same as the product key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The BitLocker recovery key it's the same as the product key?: Hi, if I need to restart my pc in safe mode and I need Bitlocker recovery key, it's the same as the product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-bitlocker-recovery-key-its-the-same-as-the/5be074de-5f22-4814-8f80-3e5d4cc5aa2e
  8. Product Key and virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Product Key and virtual machine: I installed Windows 10 on VirtualBox on my Mac. When installing I entered the Product Key that I got when I purchased Windows 10. Now I am planning to use the same key elsewhere. Should I do something before I delete the virtual Windows 10 from VirtualBox? Thank you. 38972
  9. Same product key for all?

Same product key for all?: Ok I decided I would undergo some testing & I whipped out some unused laptops with windows 7 home on them. I upgraded all 5 to windows 10. I used a program called produkey to show me my product key with network disabled for safety. Well it displayed internet explorer product...
  10. Same product key on two PCs

Same product key on two PCs: Hi there. Within the last two days I upgraded a PC and a laptop to Windows 10 home as part of the free upgrade program. Just noticed tonight that Windows assigned the same product key to each PC. How is that possible? Why would Microsoft do that? I had no control over which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i installed windows 10 on virtualbox and deleted it. when trying to install it again using the same product key it didnt activate windows

2. adding an activation for a second machine windwos10