Windows 10: 2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices

Discus and support 2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since some time two out of three computers in my home network only show multimedia devices including the two other computers. All the permissions in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Anky4, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Anky4 Win User

2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices

Since some time two out of three computers in my home network only show multimedia devices including the two other computers. All the permissions in home sharing are correct for connection without password. The shared folders can be accessed by anyone.
    What is wrong?

:)

Anky4, Jan 22, 2019

2. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

stonecherub, Jan 22, 2019
  3. Network will not show on the last device.

Hi James,

I suggest you to remove all the networks that are connected to your device and check.

If the issue persist, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

An outdated or incompatible network adapter driver can cause connection problems. If you recently upgraded to
    Windows 10, it's possible that the current driver was designed for a previous version of Windows. Check to see if an updated driver is available.

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select
      Device Manager from the list of results.

• In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.

• Right-click (or press and hold) the network adapter, and then select Update Driver Software >
      Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the steps, then select
      Close.

• After installing the updated driver, select the Start
      2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices [​IMG]
      button >
      Power > Restart if asked to restart, and see if that fixes the connection issue.

If Windows can’t find a new driver for your network adapter, visit the PC manufacturer’s website and download the latest network adapter driver from there. If your PC can't connect to the Internet, you'll need to download a driver on a different PC and save
    it to a USB flash drive, so you can install the driver on your PC. You’ll need to know the PC manufacturer and model name or number.

Rely us with the status to assist you further.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 22, 2019
  4. curly1959 Win User

4 computers, 2 active networks?

i ran the trouble shooter on the computers. It did not find anything.

Comp 1 has been setup with the network.

comp 4 shows the comp1 network to join,but it won't join the network. Just sits there after typing in the password. It does show up in the networked list on the #1 comp, but can't open anything from comp1.

Comp 3 shows it has joined the network, but I don't see it on any other comp

Comp 2 shows it wants to create the network.

Am I worng that I thought the Network 2 or 3 and the privae or home should be the same on all the comps? BTW...I can ping them

curly1959, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

1. 2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices - Similar Threads - computers home network

2. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  3. 3 monitors showing up but only 2 connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 monitors showing up but only 2 connected: I added a D3100 Docking Station and now it shows 3 monitors but I only have 2 connected. Sometimes the non-existent monitor which always shows as #1 becomes my main monitor and then I have problems. #1 says it is connected to the Graphics 600. The other 2 show they are...
  4. Show Taskbar on only 2 of 3 monitors? Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Show Taskbar on only 2 of 3 monitors? Win10: Hello,I am running windows 10 and I am trying to get the taskbar to only show on 2 of my 3 monitors. However I only see the option to enable it on all monitors. Is there a way to enable taskbar on multiple monitors and then disable it on a specific monitor?Thanks,...
  5. Home network computers not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home network computers not showing: I am having the same problem as loads of other people and have tried all the various methods to sort it. I have set the Services to automatic -I have turned on SMB - checked every setting that all the variuos help pages suggest and it stiil doesn't work. I have a desktop...
  6. multimedia devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    multimedia devices: Hello I have here two devices on the network, connected by cable to the router, which are recognized again in win 10 every time I turn on the computer. would be: DLNA-Player-MediaCenter and NET they were recognized only once in win 7 check it out: [ATTACH] Is there a...
  7. Multimedia Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multimedia Devices: I sheepishly admit that for lo these many years, I have never paid much attention to the listing of "Multimedia Devices" in the "Devices and Printers" listing under Control Panel. Now, however, it matters. I need to know exactly what these icons represent. I've always used...
  8. Home computers are on 2 separate networks

Home computers are on 2 separate networks: My two home computers are on two separate networks - Network 3 and Network 4. How do I get them on one single network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-computers-are-on-2-separate-networks/cfbd0d51-4aca-42d4-8ddb-e10ad6453545
  9. Other PCs on home network only show as media devices

Other PCs on home network only show as media devices: We used to have shares setup between the 4 computers on our home network. After the last update, the PCs only show up and connect as Media Devices. I can no longer access folders and files between computers. How can I fix this?...
  10. my local network of 3 computers will only connect with 2 computers of the connected devices

my local network of 3 computers will only connect with 2 computers of the connected devices: My local network of 3 computers will only connect with 2 computers. How do I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/my-local-network-of-3-computers-will-only-connect/89d94055-2f65-4f77-99a2-f1769fa951fd