Windows 10: 2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make...

Discus and support 2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PutYourShoesOnNow [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PutYourShoesOnNow, Mar 5, 2021.

1. 2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make...

/u/PutYourShoesOnNow, Mar 5, 2021

2. Windows Start Menu Icon - Can I remove background colour from Icons?

I haven't used Windows since Win7. Which I loved. Didn't consider mounting an ISO and installing from that. But that said my net is that slow I don't think it'd make a great difference in this case. I used to do this back then... Completely forgot that was a thing haha
    Windows 10 is confusing the hell out of me but I'll get there.

If I manage to find a work around I'll post it. It does seem like it's a Windows display thing rather than the icon itself so I'll do some digging around that instead and see what turns up.

- - - Updated - - -

The update gave me transparent tiles.
    However, (I guess the saying you can't please them all gets applied here), it has indeed given me the transparent tiles but now I've lost the true black to the background and gained a white/grey tint to everything.

From this:

2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make... [​IMG]

To this:

2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make... [​IMG]

(I use Start Menu Full Screen and it now also uses the white/grey tint for the whole screen).

The only way to get that true black now is by using High Contrast settings:

But then for some reason those tiles have a "Tile Border Colour" which can only be changed Via the text colour. Which is confusing as hell. How is that text, Microsoft? And also certain Icons decided to have a white background, I guess defined by text colour, same as the border. What?

But it also makes everything look weird to me.

On a side note for icon sizes, as shown in previous screenshots the icons use let's say, 70% tile space, however as show in this:

The Firefox (90%) and Chrome(85%) display a larger image than seen on the end, the 70%, like the GoG and Steam etc.
    This proves it should be, at least in some way, possible, to change the area of tile used by Icons.
    I understand that both of these programs are governed by their own rules and use their own visual elements but there must be a way to change other icons to a similar sizing.

I know I've just being picky and it's not that big of a deal, but it bothers me. I actually think I'd take the original red icon background and true black over the white / grey tinted start menu haha.

Alcoholic John, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Mar 5, 2021
  4. 2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make...

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Try removing that icon from the start menu, going to profram file folder for firefox, and doing "pin 2 start menu".

oli_ramsay, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make...

1. 2 PC's - one has colourful icons in start menu, one has black and white - how do I make... - Similar Threads - PC's has colourful

2. colourful icons on windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    colourful icons on windows 10 start menu: How do I get the colourful icons on windows 10 start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/colourful-icons-on-windows-10-start-menu/0bdb6d87-a9b4-4052-8b12-1371d27bca00
  3. Why are there 2 accounts on my laptop? (Blue one is my main, the white one has my Gmail...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why are there 2 accounts on my laptop? (Blue one is my main, the white one has my Gmail...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/theloneman1996 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/juextf/why_are_there_2_accounts_on_my_laptop_blue_one_is/
  4. How to Make Windows 10 Start Menu White While Keeping the Taskbar Black?

How to Make Windows 10 Start Menu White While Keeping the Taskbar Black?: Is there a way to achieve this? I like the white color on the start menu, but the white taskbar is just not for me. And unfortunately, they're like a "package", I can't get one without the other. submitted by /u/luckman-23 [link] [comments]...
  5. One of my PC’s has two Store icons, the other one only one

One of my PC’s has two Store icons, the other one only one: On one pc there is a white and a black store icon. On my private pc (up to date) only the white store icon. How come? submitted by /u/ethreax [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hhbhmx/one_of_my_pcs_has_two_store_icons_the_other_one/
  6. My One Drive has 2 unresolved errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My One Drive has 2 unresolved errors: My One Drive has 2 unresolved errors 1. Some One Drive files keep showing up in Recycle bin and I have to keep restoring 2. After some files in the recycle bin were "apparently" deleted, syncing shows continuous icon in tool tray - when clicked, "One Drive is updating . . ....
  7. context menu has no "open with". How can I get one

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    context menu has no "open with". How can I get one: I want to open a selected browser for certain web shortcuts but context menu has no "open with" . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu-has-no-open-with-how-can-i-get-one/58b4f8ad-302b-4ea7-9d98-08dd1fa737a8
  8. One Note has take over ... how do I stop it?

in Windows 10 Support
    One Note has take over ... how do I stop it?: This is an HP Pavilion laptop. It has an HP printer installed and I've printed happily for a long time. Recently all my install files suddenly disappeared and now I can't print at all. Uninstalled and re-installed printer (with HP CD) and also ran HP trouble shooter...
  9. start menu has one working and one broken icon for the same app

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu has one working and one broken icon for the same app: I installed Hulu from the Microsoft store and everything worked great. Somehow, at some point within the next few days another version of a hulu app had been installed and there were two hulu apps, with slightly different logos. The original app worked better, lagged less,...
  10. Display has changed to black and white ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display has changed to black and white ?: I was on my computer about 45 mins ago and I was pasting something had just used ctrl and c the next thing I know is that my computer is now in black and white I have a Nvidia 730 card Im not sure what happened. If I restart or reboot it comes on in color then reverts to...