Windows 10: 2 same CPU laptop but different performance 50% slower / Crazy !

Discus and support 2 same CPU laptop but different performance 50% slower / Crazy ! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello I noticed this issue when I was using Handbrake to encode files I started handbrake on both laptop at the same time, using intel quicksync... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zpoison, Sep 20, 2020.

1. zpoison Win User

2 same CPU laptop but different performance 50% slower / Crazy !

Hello
    I noticed this issue when I was using Handbrake to encode files
    I started handbrake on both laptop at the same time, using intel quicksync decoding option and the PRESETI use is : very fast 1080p 30fps // CODEC is: x265 10 bits, on both laptops everything else is DEFAULT ( I use intel quicksync, on both)

One had a 3GB file to encode, the other had a 5GB file, both file to encode come from camtasia software, m4v files
    while I am writing I have (doing batch endcode) Have finished 7 files with one laptop and the other one, I have just finished the first one, which is the 3GB file (the other laptop cumulates approx 13GB maybe more, that is done in comparison) everything else is pretty much as default

One goes 50%+ faster than the other

I also see on the slow laptop an AVG FPS of 20.5 compared of the other 32.5 (In Handbrake I see this while it is encoding , but th files are very much the same, m4v from camtasia

NOTE, the slow laptop got a SSD drive in it

I went in taskmanager and I saw something weird : in details the fast laptop got around

430.00K of memory (active private working set)
    CPU value is 50
    also.... virtualization : Not allowed

Watch this one =
    The slow laptop memory around
    995,000K memory(active priv working set)
    ...CPU value of 90
    Virtualization ...disabled (the other one is not allowed this one is disabled, why aren't they both the same?)

These are really weird comparison of identical CPU laptop (8250U 1.6 with 8GB Ram)

The only difference being the slow laptop got a SSD in it, the other has optane memory + HDD
    Usually it is the SSD that is faster !! This time quite the contrary

I am typing this on my tower, I can take screenshots if someone need something, or
    Please can you help me, why virtualization is disabled on one of the laptop, and why is it taking all these ressources?

:)

zpoison, Sep 20, 2020
  2. Lovealll Win User

Cpu going .40-.50 ghz at 20 percent cpu!

When speed drop down the performance is terrible like it's like I lag so much I move every 2 sec step by step I can try to send a vid of it if needed

Lovealll, Sep 20, 2020
  3. barence Win User
    Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50% cpu usage, and does not stop. Temperatures and fan speeds rise, fans become very noisy.

Speedfan indicates core temps rise to ~ 70 degrees C, "Temp1" rises to 75 - 80 degrees, fan 1 speed ~ 4000rpm,
    fan 2 speed ~ 2500 rpm.

I have just installed Windows 10 so it seems it could not be caused by a virus/malware.

In windows 7 forums some users found the problem was caused by a corrupted file:

Explorer.exe 50% CPU usage - Windows 7 Help Forums

Since my problem is intermittent is it unlikely to be caused by a corrupted file?

I can't use the solution suggested in the W7 forums because when I kill explorer I lose my desktop.

I ran diskcheck on both my hard drives and it reported no errors found.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Can someone please explain why a corrupted file would cause explorer to run at 50% cpu usage?

barence, Sep 20, 2020
  4. Hkcuong Win User

Core 2 Duo for laptop CQ40-314TU

I have found something about CPU Upgrade on the Intel's Website, the manufacturer of my laptop's chipset (GM45 Chipset). Currently, the CPU which this laptop is using (Dual Core T3400) is NOT in this list: http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=35509
    The laptop's chipset also support Core 2 Extreme Technology, which I think the latest CPU Technology.
    I have another laptop called Acer Aspire 5572ANWXMi that is using the chipset 945GM which support the T7600 (like you suggested) and it is in this list: http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=22816

Hkcuong, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

1. 2 same CPU laptop but different performance 50% slower / Crazy ! - Similar Threads - same CPU laptop

2. Servers with same configuration perform differently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Servers with same configuration perform differently: We have 2 VMs- SERVER A and SERVER B, both has 64 GB of RAM, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690. SERVER A has 16 CPUs and SERVER B has 24 CPUs. We are facing performance issue with the SERVER B. Example 1: A process that runs for about 6 hours in SERVER A, takes about 9 hours to run in...
  3. Servers with same configuration perform differently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Servers with same configuration perform differently: We have 2 VMs- SERVER A and SERVER B, both has 64 GB of RAM, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690. SERVER A has 16 CPUs and SERVER B has 24 CPUs. We are facing performance issue with the SERVER B. Example 1: A process that runs for about 6 hours in SERVER A, takes about 9 hours to run in...
  4. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 "tests", same PC, different results...: If I want windows 11, How can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-tests-same-pc-different-results/264d9564-5134-4c5e-af64-edee3447b4f9
  5. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

2 "tests", same PC, different results...: If I want windows 11, How can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-tests-same-pc-different-results/264d9564-5134-4c5e-af64-edee3447b4f9
  6. 2 "tests", same PC, different results...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Same App in 2 Different Folders

Same App in 2 Different Folders: I have an app that ideally fits logically be in 2 different folders in Windows 10. Can this be done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/same-app-in-2-different-folders/884ff0a0-fb77-460d-ae57-a549608c1046
  8. Performance of pc get slower

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance of pc get slower: I have instal the window 10 on my pc then after my pc get slower as my pc is of 1gb ram then tell please what should I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/performance-of-pc-get-slower/ec9d7ed0-f8ef-4516-b19f-cfc9dedc8987
  9. Laptop running slower & slower

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop running slower & slower: I have a Toshiba S75-A7270 with a 700Gb Hard drive with only 164GB used and 8Gb memory. Running Windows 10 build 17134. It has an intel i5-3230M processor. Bios version is 2.7 and Bios mode is UEFI. This machine has been getting slower and slower. It boots up slowly and...
  10. Synchonize 2 different accounts on same device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Synchonize 2 different accounts on same device: I would like to create a dual boot of Windows 10 consisting of 2 different Microsoft accounts and be able to synchronize between them. Would there be a way to do this? Or is synchronization possible only between the same account on different devices? I would like to be able...