Windows 10: 2 video cards, NOT SLI, trying to solve downclock issue

Discus and support 2 video cards, NOT SLI, trying to solve downclock issue in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My son has a new PC with an EVGA 2080 Super FTW3+ Ultra video card. He runs 3 monitors. 2 of them are 60Hz, and 1 of them is 144Hhz. When all 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pparks1, Mar 2, 2020.

1. pparks1 Win User

2 video cards, NOT SLI, trying to solve downclock issue

My son has a new PC with an EVGA 2080 Super FTW3+ Ultra video card. He runs 3 monitors. 2 of them are 60Hz, and 1 of them is 144Hhz. When all 3 monitors are plugged in, at idle, the Nvidia 2080Super is running at 1,650Mhz and not downclocking. If I disconnect either of his 60Hz monitors, leaving him with a 144Hz and a single 60hz, the video card WILL downclock to 300Mhz at idle. If I take his 144Hz monitor and set it to 60hz and he runs all 3 monitors, the video card WILL downlock to 300Mhz at idle.

I don't like the 2080Super always running at full clocks for following reasons
    1. Power usage. When the 2080super is at 300Mhz, idle power usage is 20w. When the 2080 super is at 1,650, at idle power usage is 48w.
    2. Heat. When the 2080 super is at 300Mhz, idle temps are about 35C. When the 2080 super is at 1,650, at idle, temps are about 50C.

Solving the problem has a few options
    1. Have him run on 2 monitors only, 1 at 144Hz and 1 at 60Hz. But who wants to go back to 2 monitors when you have had 3 for years?
    2. See if adding an additional 144Hz monitor and removing a 60Hz monitor works right. I'm thinking that with 2 at 144Hz and 1 at 60hz, it's going to be the same issue I am seeing with 2 at 60Hz and 1 at 144Hz.
    3. I am considering buying something like the MSI GeForceGT710 PCIe video card for $50, and installing this into his PC as well. We can move 1 of the 60Hz monitors over to the secondary video card, leaving a single 60hz and single 144hz on the 2080 super. This should in theory allow the 2080 super to downclock at idle again just like it does now when I unplug one of the 60Hz monitors.

Any major concerns with adding a single cheapo video card by Nvidia, simply to run 1 of the monitors?

:)

pparks1, Mar 2, 2020
  2. WhyMe Win User

Need help with SLI Graphics Card Issue.

So the problem is identical in both Win8 and Win10.

My suggestions (in no particular order:
    1. Try a different bridge (a 3-way should also work for example if one came with your motherboard)
    2. If possible, try both graphics cards, configured for sli, in another system. Hopefully you have a friend with a compatible system.
    3. Test your PSU with a multi-meter.

Edit: And to confirm. You are saying sli configuration was previously functioning correctly within your Win10 installation before failing 'out of the blue'?

WhyMe, Mar 2, 2020
  3. harrymc Win User
    What are the requirements for using SLI?

The facts here are as follows:

• SLI is successfully marked as enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel,
    • Video performance is bad.

If we couple these facts with the Nvidia article of
    Introduction to SLI Technology
    which says:

And then add the evidence that shows that SLI is very effective for your
    video card, in the TechPowerup article
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 SLI Review
    that says this:

If we take all these facts in consideration, the natural conclusion is that for
    some reason your SLI bridge is not functioning.
    The two video cards have probably established SLI across the PCIe bus,
    with resulting poor performance, as described in the documentation.

It is impossible to analyze a physical problem causing the non-functioning of the SLI
    bridge without physical access to the computer.

A software problem can only be in the driver.
    Try in the page of
    NVIDIA Driver Downloads
    to use the option of "Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products", so as
    to let NVIDIA analyze your hardware and suggest the right driver.
    Verify that it's exactly the one that you are already using.

harrymc, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Snuffy10 Win User

SLI with different cards

Gtx690 and 660

So, after trying the guide again after uninstalling the latest drivers and then going through the guide step by step i got this: Apply a sli cable between the 2 sli ready gfx cards in order to get maximal 3d performance

She picture below (In Danish though)

Anyone got any ideas as to solve this problem?

Snuffy10, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

1. 2 video cards, NOT SLI, trying to solve downclock issue - Similar Threads - video cards SLI

2. 2 video cards

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2 video cards: I have an older desktop (Intel DZ77BH-55K, i7-3770@3.50GHz, 32GB ram and Nvidia GeForce GTX 650) with W10 Pro v 22H2. I just purchased a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 for dual monitors. I installed the new device and wouldn't boot to windows. I put the old GTX650 back in PCI Bus 1...
  3. Thundebolt 2 PCIE card issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thundebolt 2 PCIE card issue: After updating to windows version 1909 thunderbolt PCIE card stop working. Update the bios to latest version and update the thunderbolt software but it didn't fixed. but when roll back to 1808 it work fine. Any Suggestion will be appreciate. Thanks, Alam...
  4. sli activation issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sli activation issue: got two nvidia cards linked and the driver everytime I click enable sli it ask me to close the programs: and then it gives me a long list, half i know the other half is stupid microsoft embbeded trash and I dont even know... so how can I close this d*mn programs to proceed...
  5. Video Driver / Card Issues

Video Driver / Card Issues: Hi! I was trying to start up a game through Origin after a long time of not playing and instead got an pop-up that said, "Can't run with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are...
  6. SLI can reduce/solve coil whine?

SLI can reduce/solve coil whine?: Hello all, I have an EVGA 1070Ti FTW UltraSilent and I have some problem with coil whine. What do you think would happen if instead of switching to another card, I put a second video card? Reducing or increasing coil whine? Thanks in advance. 121808
  7. Installing 2 different video cards windows will not start.

Installing 2 different video cards windows will not start.: NVIDIA TITAN X and NVIDIA GTX 980 video cards I have installed both cards separately with no problems, but when I install them both windows hangs on startup and will not give me any display. Any suggestions would be great, thanks. 6353
  8. HDMI Switches - Video card issue

HDMI Switches - Video card issue: Hoping someone can help me here. Status Quo - I have a Dell 9200 running Windows 10, with an AMD HD5670 video card with Aug 2015 Windows 10 drivers. Its connected to an HDMI projector (older Sanyo, 720P), and a legacy VGA monitor. The multiple display setting work fine....
  9. Video Card Issues S.O.S.

Video Card Issues S.O.S.: Hello all.... Hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I recently bought a new video card, EVGA Gtx 950 but when I tried installing it didn't work... I think the problem may with my Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 MB which doesn't have UEFI support. Is there anyway of changing...
  10. Need help with SLI Graphics Card Issue.

Need help with SLI Graphics Card Issue.: Hey, I'm having a bit of an Issue, out of the blue, I'm unable to SLI my 780Ti's (Driver 355.82). The cards themselves are detected in Device Manager at the same time, but one always has this error doesn't matter which one it is) when they are both plugged in (SLI bridged or...