Windows 10: 20 Recovery Partitions

Discus and support 20 Recovery Partitions in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; [img] WTF is that about? How do I fix that, seems wasteful... 95342 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by PeterFragon, Oct 12, 2017.

1. 20 Recovery Partitions

20 Recovery Partitions [​IMG]

WTF is that about?

How do I fix that, seems wasteful...

:)

PeterFragon, Oct 12, 2017

2. Extend C drive Size

Your Image does not show a D partition. It does show an F partition which if reduced in size would enable you to increase the size of the C partition.

These are the steps needed to enable you to increase the size of your C partition:

• Reduce F by 20 gb placing the unallocated space before F.

• Increase the Recovery partition by 20 gb taking up unallocated space created by Step 1.

• Reduce the Recovery partition by 20 gb placing the unallocated space before the Recovery partition.

• Increase the C partition by 20 gb to take in the unallocated space before the Recovery partition.

You can use Easeus Partition Manager (freeware) to carry out these tasks. The files in each partition are automatically moved when you carry out each step detailed above.

Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS Partition Master Free

How to extend system partition when there is no unallocated space next to it?

Detailed solutions to manage disk space and partition size with EaseUS Partition Master

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 12, 2017
  3. Unknown volume on "This PC".

I thought of that due to the size, but Disk Management shows it as a no file system partition and 100% free, while Explorer shows it as an NTFS partition with about 20% free. And if File Manager had for some reason I cannot fantom assigned a letter to the
    partition, wouldn't disk management reflect that?

JoaodeSouza, Oct 12, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

20 Recovery Partitions

For starters, a little background information would be helpful. Like what were you doing when this happened? Is this a single OS or a dual boot setup? Is there only one HDD?

Plankton, Oct 12, 2017
  5. Dual boot windows 10..

I just noticed there is 20 recovery partitions on the C: drive... I am running insider builds..

PeterFragon, Oct 12, 2017
  6. SIW2 Win User
    Keep the one labelled as "system"

7. Kyhi Win User
    every preview update created its own recovery tools partition.

8. lx07 Win User

20 Recovery Partitions

Because the first one it finds is too small (300MB it looks like). If it finds something too small then it shrinks C a bit and makes a new one.

May as well delete partition 1 (assuming it is recovery partition) and then all of the other recovery partitions except the one just after C. You may need to reregister it - see here How to Reconfigure Creators Update Recovery Partition? - Windows 10 Forums

9. Jimmyb Win User
    When I updated to the latest build I had 2 recovery partition appear, though both seemed empty, however W10 disk management would not let me delete them, in fact everything was grayed out with them. Messed my installation so just did a clean re-install.

Jimmyb, Oct 12, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    You have to use diskpart or some other tool.

For example

diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition
    select partition 1
    (or whatever number)
    delete partition override

Thema:

20 Recovery Partitions

1. 20 Recovery Partitions - Similar Threads - Recovery Partitions

2. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  3. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  4. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  6. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  7. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

8. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  9. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  10. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?