Windows 10: 20+ years of seemingly pointless race regarding Microsoft Windows updates & features

Discus and support 20+ years of seemingly pointless race regarding Microsoft Windows updates & features in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Greetings Microsoft community & hopefully some of the staff My more serious work with MS Windows OS product line [and a frustration] began in year... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by uplink-svk, Oct 24, 2018.

1. 20+ years of seemingly pointless race regarding Microsoft Windows updates & features

Greetings Microsoft community & hopefully some of the staff

My more serious work with MS Windows OS product line [and a frustration] began in year 1995, when I first started working more seriously with Windows 95. Later with 98, SE, ME, 2000, legendary XP, [my personal favourite] Vista, legendary 7, dreadful 8 and 8.1 and now on 10 [.6 momentarily?]

All I want to ask You, the MS community and staff is that, that why is it being a rule, that every single time, no matter the time nor branch [LTSB/C or general branch/channel], every single time I update Windows with some general update [actually, it's being Server 2016 & Windows 10 on plenty of workstations nowadays] I face these incredible problems consisting of constant, issues and trouble, in a form of unworking components, unsupported programs, OS freezing, slowing down/performance deterioration and many others. I'm 34 yo technician and I'm thoroughly frustrated by what seems to be an utter incompetence or ignorance at the side of Microsoft lead department.

I know it's not a matter/or a fault of devs. They do and would do their best, but constant pressure and seemingly needless stress that is being put on devs both allowing more thorough testing and ultimately isn't helping the OS in any real way.

By the 20+ years I've been using the Windows, I've barely had the experience of a: "What, what a great new feature!" kind, but I always, and I mean always have those "Damn this dumb OS and it's "new updates & features."

MS Windows is already in a monopoly position regarding end-user OS market for more than two and a half decades, thus I don't really see any real reason of pushing and forcing those new features & technologies from within the OS at Your end-users/sys admins.

Computers compute power & performance has increased trillionfold in a past few decades, but peoples didn't. Many studies show, that people simply displace 99+% of features and options within their active workspace and workrange [cellphones, notebooks, tablets, hybrid devices, TVs, cars, refrigerators, etc.], thus this constant updating and adding of new and more buggy features isn't doing Your OS/environment nor reputation any good.

I'm no analytical expert, nor superforecaster, nor pretending to be one, but in my humble opinion and from my empiric experience in my own small business, I believe, that if You tested Your product for longer time periods and released new updates/features in a wider time spans/different pace, in the end, You'd end up with either same, or better revenues.

Although, if Your ultimate goal is to frustrate and anger sys admins and end-users using Microsoft Windows product range, I must tell You that You're doing an excellent job for the past nearly three decades and that there's literally little You need to change in order to keep up the pace in this area.

With kind and humble regards

Bryan

P.S.: Workstations I take care of are most of the time high-end line of computers built by me. Namely Z370/390 motherboards with latest UEFi/BiOS updates and 8700K CPUs, with NVMe SSD drives, also with newest FW and updates, etc. I'm not demanding support & functionality for old products, never did. Only for the new, or the newest.

:)

uplink-svk, Oct 24, 2018
  2. OSdevr Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Oh dear they're still pushing that. I STILL don't like the metro tiles and stuff!

OSdevr, Oct 24, 2018
  3. malware Win User
    Microsoft Prepares Update for Windows Home Server

Microsoft's Windows Home Server officially launched earlier this month, is already preparing to be updated. Microsoft says that the new update is "part of the ongoing process of continually enhancing the customer experience with Windows Home Server." The update includes a few feature additions for Windows Home Server. Currently, users who login to their server when away from their home network - through an external URL like https://yourname.homeserver.com - are greeted with a security warning. The November 27 update will now provide users with a trusted SSL certificate for their Windows Home Severs. The SSL certification was provided with the help of Windows Live Domains and GoDaddy. Other new features include a "Delete All" button to remove home computer backups. Microsoft has also taken steps to make the Shared Folders and Server Storage aspects of Windows Home Server more robust and user friendly.

Source: DailyTech

malware, Oct 24, 2018
  4. 20+ years of seemingly pointless race regarding Microsoft Windows updates & features

Windows 7 top feature request list leaked to the public

With Windows still managing to find its way to over 95 percent of the desktop computers sold each year, it's not surprising that one can find plenty of people interested in giving their feedback about what future versions of Windows should be able to do.

A few years ago, before Windows Vista had even shipped, Microsoft sent out a wish list form asking people what features they would like to see in the next version of Windows, currently code-named Windows 7. The top wished-for features in this list were recently leaked to the public and have popped up at various sites (e.g., Neowin). While anonymous sources at Microsoft tell us that they bear no relationship to the actual feature set Microsoft is currently writing for Windows 7, the list does provide interesting insight into what the Windows-using public most wants from Windows.

The features are listed in no particular order, but they break down into various categories depending on what part of Windows the feature request falls under. Many requests for improvements in Internet Explorer, such as a session restore function, are fairly obvious wishes for features that already exist in competitive products such as Firefox and Opera. Other suggestions, such as a tabbed Windows Explorer, look for features from web browsers to migrate into the general user interface.

20+ years of seemingly pointless race regarding Microsoft Windows updates & features win7-early_feedback.gif

Some of the feature requests are clearly unrealistic, such as the desire to "back up" Xbox 360 games to the PC (yeah, I don't think Microsoft will be doing that one). Others are minor user interface enhancements that would be nice additions but wouldn't really change the Windows experience, such as a progress bar when hibernating the system. However, there are a few that make good sense and would be welcome additions to the operating system, such as a built-in video and audio codec manager.

A Windows 7 insider who wishes to remain anonymous told Ars that the leaked feature list was gathered before any real development on Windows 7 was started, and readers should not expect to see requests from the list necessarily implemented in Microsoft’s next major Windows release.

Ben Clarke, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

20+ years of seemingly pointless race regarding Microsoft Windows updates & features

1. 20+ years of seemingly pointless race regarding Microsoft Windows updates & features - Similar Threads - 20+ years seemingly

2. Windows 10 update seems to encounter error at 20% install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update seems to encounter error at 20% install: I keep getting the error - There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x800f0831My PC is kinda old but is still frequently updated and is running...
  3. Windows 10 update seems to encounter error at 20% install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update seems to encounter error at 20% install: I keep getting the error - There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x800f0831My PC is kinda old but is still frequently updated and is running...
  4. Windows 10 update seems to encounter error at 20% install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 is completely pointless

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 is completely pointless: And if you ask why? then the answer is simple most people have old computers and it's not worth it because there are a lot of people who can't buy a new and modern computer start buying a new computer Then give people enough money for a new computer so everyone can afford it...
  6. Doubt regarding Windows feature update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Doubt regarding Windows feature update: For previous feature update (1909), I've used the media creation tool to get it. So, now will I get an update through regular windows update option or should I've to use the media creation tool again to update? submitted by /u/venkat7702 [link] [comments]...
  7. Mike Ybarra leaving Microsoft after 20 years Xbox

in Windows 10 News
    Mike Ybarra leaving Microsoft after 20 years Xbox: After 20 years at Microsoft, its time for my next adventure. Its been a great ride at Xbox and the future is bright. Thanks to everyone at TeamXbox, Im incredibly proud of what weve accomplished and I wish you the best. More soon on whats next for me (super excited)! 1/2......
  8. Window update and issues regarding optimal features.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window update and issues regarding optimal features.: Hi, Can someone tells me on how to force stop a window update in progress? Besides, I have also faced a problem regarding the optimal features where all the downloading features neither can be cancelled and they have stop proceeding as shown below. Thank in advance....
  9. Microsoft’s Windows 98 was released 20 years ago today

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Windows 98 was released 20 years ago today: Windows 98 is undoubtedly one of the most popular Windows versions to date and, Windows 98 no longer receives updates and fixes from Microsoft. The software giant released Windows 98 operating system on June 25, 1998, exactly 20 years ago from today. Windows 95 arrived in...
  10. Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week: Sunday July 31 marks 20 years since Microsoft launched Windows NT 4.0. On July 31, 1996, Microsoft released NT 4.0 to manufacturing. It was generally available as of August 24 that year. NT 4.0 wasn't the first version of Microsoft's NT operating system; that honor...