Windows 10: 2004 New Bug - Defrag now forgets days since defrag - Always sez Needs Defrag - Well done!

Discus and support 2004 New Bug - Defrag now forgets days since defrag - Always sez Needs Defrag - Well done! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Subject sez it all -- What changed? Joe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GoJoLo, May 28, 2020.

1. GoJoLo Win User

2004 New Bug - Defrag now forgets days since defrag - Always sez Needs Defrag - Well done!

Subject sez it all -- What changed?

Joe

:)

GoJoLo, May 28, 2020

2. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, May 28, 2020
  3. Andrew E. Win User
    defragging

Strange no Microsoft/Windows/Performance details are listed...Defrag has 1 serious flaw,it can not defrag files that are in use,running defrag in Win Explorer isn't practicle.To defrag,R.click on cmd prompt/run as Administrator/in cmd type: Defrag C:
    its that simple,plus run diskclean up before,one can in cmd type: CLEANMGR run in cmd...Their is a Ultimate Defrag setting,one should have multiple HDs running/set in Advanced system,set C: drive to "No Page File" in Virtual memory,set,restart pc,back on
    desktop,open cmd,type: Defrag C: once thru,reset it in Virtual Memory,restart pc..This setting,the OS files/folders are able to get defragged,as page file doesn't exist on C: but on another HD....

Andrew E., May 28, 2020
  4. 2004 New Bug - Defrag now forgets days since defrag - Always sez Needs Defrag - Well done!

defrag

Hi Kim,

It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders
    cannot defrag the hard disk drive. We would like to ask for additional information. Please provide the following:

• Which build of Windows 10 are you using? To know about it, hit
      Start, type Winver and then press
      Enter. You could also press Windows Key + R, type
      Winver into the
      Run dialog and press Enter.
    • Are you using the administrator account on your computer or a Microsoft/guest account?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Since you've mentioned that it refuses to defrag, can you please provide us with a screenshot of it? You may refer to this

link
      on how to include a screenshot in your post.

Moreover, we recommend that you use the administrator account registered on your computer the defrag it. To optimize them:

• Select the search bar on the taskbar and enter defrag.

• Select Defragment and Optimize Drives.

2004 New Bug - Defrag now forgets days since defrag - Always sez Needs Defrag - Well done! ee353fc9-cd9e-4635-b255-8b796f80c528-en.png

• Select the disk drive you want to optimize.

• Select the Optimize button.

Looking forward to the requested information and the results of the recommended troubleshooting steps.

PreciousLeb, May 28, 2020
Thema:

2004 New Bug - Defrag now forgets days since defrag - Always sez Needs Defrag - Well done!

1. 2004 New Bug - Defrag now forgets days since defrag - Always sez Needs Defrag - Well done! - Similar Threads - 2004 Bug Defrag

2. Defrag . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defrag . . .: I used the defrag, built into Windows 10 & 11It did, a good job! But, I was wondering?Is is there a third party, version of defrag.That would, defragment. A Windows 10, & Windows 11.Dual partition hard drive? Hopefully it would go, a little further?Any suggestions, would be...
  3. Windows defrag doesnt defrag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows defrag doesnt defrag: Windows 10 Pro defrag utility shows my HDD as needing "optimization" saying the defrag level is at 13%. I start the "optimization" defrag process and it goes through 5 passes of defragging,consolidating etc then stops and still says its defrag level is at 13% - in other...
  4. 20H2 Defrag Bug.

20H2 Defrag Bug.: Defrag bug is still not fixed when scheduled defrag is used and I have a hard drive.I thought MS fixed it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/20h2-defrag-bug/13d0fd18-7c04-43a6-94e4-fc1ba0038789
  5. Defragment tool bugged?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defragment tool bugged?: I just checked the Defragmentation tool randomly and saw that the "Last analyzed or optimized" row says "Never run", even though back when I upgraded to Windows 10 5 months ago I've scheduled it to run weekly. I've checked it again 2 months ago and it was working fine, and so...
  6. Defrag Bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defrag Bug: Does anyone have any idea how to prevent Windows from doing it? Do i just go here and disable "Scheduled optimization" on all drives? I have 2 SSDs (one M.2 NVME, one SATA) and 1 HDD. An update released yesterday, perhaps that fixed it? How often do i need to trim my SSDs and...
  7. defrag

defrag: Does defrag remove files that I have deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag/dd96aa2f-354e-4229-9ebc-230e5ead0cd0
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. Defrag

Defrag: How do I defrag my computer in Windows 10? The instructions say to choose the search bar on the taskbar but I don't have a search bar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/defrag/9f747c8d-5d36-4c2c-b933-227488d99d2e
  10. Defrag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag: Having set win 10 defrag to work on a daily bases - it's not working. Gone three days now and no optimization. Anyone come across this? or know of a fix. Pete.*Sad 30186