Windows 10: [2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before...

Discus and support [2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've seen this rant quite a bit. Looks like Microsoft listened. You no longer need to wait for updates to finish after booting a computer from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Scurro, Jun 11, 2020.

1. /u/Scurro Win User

[2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before...

I've seen this rant quite a bit.

Looks like Microsoft listened. You no longer need to wait for updates to finish after booting a computer from shutdown.

submitted by /u/Scurro
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Scurro, Jun 11, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Midnite8 Win User
    Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

Hey guys, I am having this problem where I cannot Restart or Shutdown unless I just do a hard shutdown. I refreshed my computer and slowly installed updates while creating restore points before installing. After the second set of updates everything seemed ok but after a few, the problem showed up again. I tried to do a System Restore but it fails because I cannot Restart to complete the process.

Midnite8, Jun 11, 2020
  4. [2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before...

Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

do the 1st update pack only and do the individual updates after that, ensure you can restart/shutdown etc

eidairaman1, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

[2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before...

1. [2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before... - Similar Threads - 2004 Update shutdown

2. Update to 2004 before 20H2?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update to 2004 before 20H2?: I updated from 1909 to 20H2 and had all sorts of issues, to include my system locking up after about an hour, and that happened several times. I was able to roll back, but have since read that I should have updated from 1909 to 2004 first. How can I find the update to 2004 to...
  3. Windows 10 Update 2004 Problem: Shutdown button makes Restart my computer

Windows 10 Update 2004 Problem: Shutdown button makes Restart my computer: When I press Shutdown button my computer restarts after update 2004. Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 Motherrboard: Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1920x Memory: 32 Graphics: Zotac RTX 2060...
  4. Updated Windows to version 2004, now computer restarts randomly

Updated Windows to version 2004, now computer restarts randomly: Computer worked perfectly prior to updating to 2004 update. What in the actual hell gets tested prior to releases? I've already gone back to windows 7 on two other PCs because of W10 issues; is there a fix for this one or do I need to install Windows 7? i7 7800X, 32GB RAM...
  5. KB4568831 installed, but will not restart or finish update process

KB4568831 installed, but will not restart or finish update process: Windows 10 "2004" installed What I believe to be KB4568831 over night. When I let it restart this morning, it went through the post, the windows logo and rotating icon, and then the icon kept rotating for the last 7 hours. This is a self built computer with ASUS mother...
  6. Windows 10 2004 update post installation process did not finish

Windows 10 2004 update post installation process did not finish: After a few hours of downloading my mini PC was able to complete the 2004 update. However, it appears that windows 10 does a post installation process where it sets additional features such as privacy, reporting, mobile phone connection, etc. That process did not finish and...
  7. Computer will not shutdown fully after 2004 update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer will not shutdown fully after 2004 update.: At times when I decided to shut down my pc, only the monitors will turn off, but the rgb and fans will continue spinning indefinitely. Pressing the keyboard or mouse button does nothing. It's not any kind of sleep because I have disabled those. I have also disable fast...
  8. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!: Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least. I know there was talks about requesting the update and...
  9. Restart and Shutdown Process Taking Much Longer Than Before

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart and Shutdown Process Taking Much Longer Than Before: Hi, Recently my restart and shutdown processes have been taking alot longer than normal so i looked up possible solutions and none have worked so far, however one method showed how to see what could be causing the problem by going into the Event Viewer. Below are...
  10. Computer won't fully update and freezes before it can finish updating

Computer won't fully update and freezes before it can finish updating: I recently built a new gaming computer. After I downloaded Windows 10, my computer started freezing randomly. After brief googling, I realized that I would need to update my drivers because the old versions of windows may have been causing it. Once I started updating it, I...