Windows 10: 200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi

Discus and support 200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My ping spikes up to 200 consistently every minute to the second when playing online games. I used to be able to fix it by joining a discord voice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jrichard_998, Oct 27, 2020.

1. 200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi

My ping spikes up to 200 consistently every minute to the second when playing online games. I used to be able to fix it by joining a discord voice channel but now this does not work.

Some days the ping spikes will happen straight away after joining a server, and some days they will happen 5 minutes after I join a server but from then on they happen every 1 minute.

I have tried 'netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi;''' , this also sometimes works and sometimes it does not.

I have tried resetting my laptop and the network profile to no avail.

Any help is appreciated as these spikes make any game basically unplayable.

:)

jrichard_998, Oct 27, 2020
  2. oBqnny Win User

Keep getting ping spikes while using Wi-Fi.

Hi. Recently (since about a week), i have been getting regular ping spikes while playing the MOBA game ''League of legends''. Everyone 5-10 seconds or so my ms goes from a stable 30 to about 150. This issue does not only occur while playing League of Legends but also when playing other games. The spikes seem to always occur in important situations throughout the game.

I have done multiple Wi-Fi tests which have been extremely unstable as sometimes the test just doesn't work or some other times i get a result as high as 70mb/s for download and 50mb/s of upload. I have updated all of my drivers and have done multiple malware scans. I have also checked task manager while in a game to see if anything was using up Wi-Fi but nothing pops up.

I don't think the problem has to do with my router or internet provider since my my Wi-Fi works fine on every other system that is using it (Ipad, phone, other computers, consoles, etc...). I am not using Ethernet by the way, I am using a wireless adapter. The Wi-Fi worked alright before and I have no idea what caused it to suddenly stop working.

Please help *Sad.

oBqnny, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Kevin AAW Win User
    Ping Spikes

Recently, I have discovered that I am receiving ping spikes from 200-1000 every 10 seconds or so when playing games, causing me to rubberband. However, I usually receive around 20ms in between ping spike intervals. I am using an ethernet cable that is connected
    'Wi-fi Booster', which is connected to my router downstairs. I have tried multiple solutions in an attempt to fix this issue such as:

• Checking if my network adapters are outdated
    • Troubleshooting my network adapters
    • Changing my default DNS server to 1.1.1.1 (gives lower ping than 8.8.8.8)
    • Disabling the feature where my PC would usually download updates from other computers
    • Disabling OneDrive sync in Policy Group Editor

This is what it typically looks like, however it gets somewhat worse over time:

200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi 201586fb-2889-435d-a165-01c04477c2ac?upload=true.png

PingPlotter results:

200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi 4ce5ebe3-f4d6-4df8-8857-ca78f552020c?upload=true.png

Kevin AAW, Oct 27, 2020
  4. 200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi

Random ping spikes in games

System:

Mobo: Gigabtye GA-A320M-S2H

RAM: 2xDDR4 8GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

Storage: 1 HDD and 1 SSD (Windows is on SSD)

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070

Problem

While playing online games, my ping will randomly
    spike up
    . In this time, my computer is effectively offline as I can't do anything online (use websites, discord calls etc). In games with built-in ping counters, it commonly reads 10,000 or more ping. After about 10 seconds, the ping will return to normal.
    The ping spikes get less common the longer my computer is on to the point they barely happen. They only start if I play an online game. I have been unable to find a fix that works for the current version of Windows 10.

derpybookshelf, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi

1. 200ms ping spikes every minute when playing games online Wi-Fi - Similar Threads - 200ms ping spikes

2. Ping spiking on Wi-Fi connection network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ping spiking on Wi-Fi connection network: I am writing to seek assistance with a persistent issue I have been experiencing regarding my internet connectivity. Despite being connected to a Wi-Fi network in close proximity to the router, I am encountering significant latency problems that are adversely affecting my...
  3. Random ping spike when playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random ping spike when playing games: Hi,I am facing a random ping spike when playing games like LOL and Apex Legends. Ping stays around 12-20ms for most of the time but will jump to a couple hundred randomly. I have tried various types of solutions suggested in the community, one of them suggesting uninstall...
  4. Random ping spike when playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random ping spike when playing games: Hi,I am facing a random ping spike when playing games like LOL and Apex Legends. Ping stays around 12-20ms for most of the time but will jump to a couple hundred randomly. I have tried various types of solutions suggested in the community, one of them suggesting uninstall...
  5. Random ping spike when playing games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Sudden ping spikes or "request timed out" when pinging router Wi-Fi

Sudden ping spikes or "request timed out" when pinging router Wi-Fi: Hi everyone, I've been spending the entire day trying to figure this out and I just can't seem to fix it. So when I ping my router Wi-Fi with "Ping -t 192.168.2.1", I can usually ping it successfully. However, every 10-20 seconds there is a very high ping spike like 2000ms or...
  7. large ping spikes when playing games

large ping spikes when playing games: Hi, for a while now I am experiencing large ping spikes in game and also discord from time to time, ive ran the ping -t 8.8.8.8 command and these are my result from running it for a few minutes: Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=117 Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32...
  8. Ping spikes Wi-Fi Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ping spikes Wi-Fi Windows 10: Hey guys ! I would like some help. I've found out some HUGE ping spikes, and I can't solve this. OneDrive is uninstalled, my Wifi drivers are up to date, I tried to disable the WLAN Autoconfig too but nothing works. Please, i'm desesperate. Ping test :...
  9. Windows Scanning for Wi-Fi and causing ping spikes.

Windows Scanning for Wi-Fi and causing ping spikes.: I have been having a problem where my Wifi spikes every ten seconds. I have narrowed it down to the way Windows scans for Wifi every ten seconds. It is fixed when I disable WLAN Autoconfig but then when I restart my computer, it cannot find Wifi networks. This requires me to...
  10. [Wi-Fi Only] High ping only when playing online games.

[Wi-Fi Only] High ping only when playing online games.: Hi, Since I installed October update, i have issues with ping when playing online games through Wi-Fi. Besides this everything works. I've tried: - diffrent drivers - rebooting - troubleshooting - diffrent internet - reinstalling windows...