Windows 10: 2019 Optical Drive Caddy NOT working with windows 10 upgrade for Asus Laptop K53z

Discus and support 2019 Optical Drive Caddy NOT working with windows 10 upgrade for Asus Laptop K53z in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently purchased a SilverStone Optical Drive Device conversion tray with 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD bay for laptop. (HDD/SSD Drive Caddy 2.5")... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by {SpaceOdyssey}, Apr 9, 2019.

1. 2019 Optical Drive Caddy NOT working with windows 10 upgrade for Asus Laptop K53z

I recently purchased a SilverStone Optical Drive Device conversion tray with 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD bay for laptop. (HDD/SSD Drive Caddy 2.5")

Manufacturers Product Description:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=387

I wanted to have an extra HDD/SSD in my laptop for extra storage. This meant doing away with the Optical Drive (CD/DVD ROM Drive) and replacing with:

Optical Drive Device conversion tray with 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD bay for laptop.

It all seemed very straight forward. I removed the [CD/DVD ROM Drive] and replaced with [HDD/SSD Drive Caddy 2.5]. HOWEVER, Windows 10 did NOT BOOT, it would just hang at the 'boot splash screen'

THE FIX!

Follow my guide here as it also works to fix this issue:

2019 matshitadvd-ram uj8b0 dvd drive not working after upgrade to windows 10 for Asus Laptop K53z

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/2019-matshitadvd-ram-uj8b0-dvd-drive-not-working/7effb29d-0218-4ca2-bcf4-62953b10d141?tm=1554799676374

:)

{SpaceOdyssey}, Apr 9, 2019
  2. user33331 Win User

Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Hello
    I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
    Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
    BIOS doesn't recognize the second HDD (hard drive caddy)

Startup:
    • Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
    • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
    • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.
    So far:
    • The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
    • The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.
    Solutions:
    • Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
    • Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy mode ?
    • Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
    • Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?
    Laptops are not easy...

user33331, Apr 9, 2019
  3. jhorak101 Win User
    Is Microsoft aware of the Internal Optical drive not registering, showing, in Windows version 10 with an ASUS Laptop R503U

Original Title: ASUS Laptop Model R503U Optical Drive

Is Microsoft aware of the Internal Optical drive not registering, showing, in Windows version 10 with an ASUS Laptop R503U ? I purchased window s10 Home OS yesterday and installed the OS on a clean HDD. And noticed the only optical drive showing is the external
    Optical drive connected to the USB port. The internal drive is not showing up in device manger at all. With Windows 8 and 8.1 it was working fine. Other OS's show the drive too.

Thank you.

jhorak101, Apr 9, 2019
  4. Hood Win User

2019 Optical Drive Caddy NOT working with windows 10 upgrade for Asus Laptop K53z

Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Put the SSD in place of the original HDD. Leave the optical drive caddy out for now. If the cloned OS on the SSD will boot to windows, use it. If not, it's a bad image, you'll have to do a clean install of Windows on the SSD. Windows can't recognize two drives with the same OS installed on them - I think you have to secure erase the HDD using a different PC before you laptop will be able to use it (all traces of the old OS must be removed). Then you can put the HDD in the caddy and use it for storage.

Hood, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

2019 Optical Drive Caddy NOT working with windows 10 upgrade for Asus Laptop K53z

1. 2019 Optical Drive Caddy NOT working with windows 10 upgrade for Asus Laptop K53z - Similar Threads - 2019 Optical Drive

2. optical drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  3. optical drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    optical drive: so, my optical drive is only reading blank disks. when I insert a blank disk, it reads without a problem, but when I insert a disk thhat has even 1 byte, the drive goes crazy and does not read. i would like an answer to that....
  4. BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker asking for recovery key after moving HDD to optical drive caddy: I replaced the original HDD in my Dell Inspiron 15-3567 manufactured 2018 with a new SSD, then moved the original HDD to the optical drive bay using a caddy. Beforehand, I made a Windows installation flash drive and also saved any files I wanted from the original HDD in...
  5. External Optical Drive will not work in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Optical Drive will not work in Windows 10: i brought a dvd drive for my gaming pc and it cant detect the dvd its plugged in but it isnt accessible windows doesent detect it at all i went to device manager and cant find it at all please help....
  6. Optical drive does not work, windows 10

Optical drive does not work, windows 10: optical drive does not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optical-drive-does-not-work-windows-10/b258fb33-3343-43a6-8c69-287a37126362
  7. hard drive caddy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    hard drive caddy: Can anyone recommend a reliable easy to use hard drive caddy for sata hard drives 123448
  8. optical drive

optical drive: is not listed in devices and wont find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/optical-drive/0fdeeee8-96a7-42b5-801d-ed31c57d2c14
  9. External Optical Drive from Old Laptop Not Working

External Optical Drive from Old Laptop Not Working: I have a CD/DVD/Blu-ray player that I pulled from my old laptop so I could use it in my current laptop which does not have an optical drive. I purchased a SATA cable to connect it to my new laptop via USB, but most times I plug it in, it does not work. By this I mean, I got...
  10. HDMI doesn't work after upgrading to WIndows 10 on ASUS Laptop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI doesn't work after upgrading to WIndows 10 on ASUS Laptop: Hi all, after upgrading to Windows 10, I see that my projector OPTOMA is not recognized via cable HDMI by my laptop ASUS X751L : no image with message 'source not found' !! (while the cable VGA works perfectly !) I suspected that it's a problem of driver but I don't know...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. a53z dvd drive not working winfows 10

2. asus k53z dvd drive not showing up

3. caddy drive not working