Windows 10: 2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up...

Discus and support 2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, After the 2020 May/June Windows update I wonderfully had a mystery 40 gigs freed up from my main C drive. It was great! Obviously the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FritoZanzibar, Aug 6, 2020.

1. 2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up...

Hi all,

After the 2020 May/June Windows update I wonderfully had a mystery 40 gigs freed up from my main C drive. It was great!

Obviously the windows installation must have removed redundant or unneeded windows installation files, 40 gigs worth!

But now every day since the disc space has been mysteriously been disappearing.. and I now have only 1 gig free again on my laptop....

I have read dozens of help posts and watched many many YouTube vids about "disc space"- but so far I cant figure this out

I have used storage sense, disc cleanup, disabled hibernation file, deleted old restore points etc. etc. to no avail... I have checked the storage breakdown and have determined the mystery files must be in "system and reserved" as all other possible file locations have nothing new added to them.

Many posts/vids show windows features like "remove old windows installations" in storage sense but my version of windows does not show this option in disc cleanup or storage sense...

Im using Windows 10 pro version 2004

windows feature experience pack 120.2202.130.0

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thank you

:)

FritoZanzibar, Aug 6, 2020
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Free space always eaten restarted then two gigs gone

Mine, for comparison:

2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up... [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Aug 6, 2020
  3. jdeviant Win User
    Suddenly 6.5 gigs is taken up by "reserved space & other content"?

Recently I tried recording a video on my Samsung Focus. I forgot to stop the recording when I was finished, and went several hours before I remembered I never turned it off. By that time, the phone had died. Ever since then, the phone has been giving me
    low storage warnings and Zune tells me 6.52 gigs are being taken up by "Reserved Space & Other Content." The kicker is the video is nowhere to be found on my phone -- it's like the video was saved somewhere on the phone, but not someplace accessible to me
    through the phone or Zune, so I have this huge video hanging out on my phone and no way to see or delete it.

I have reserved space set to 0%. Also, Zune tells me "Videos" are only taking up ~125MB.

Any suggestions on how to find the file? Or maybe there's another reason entirely why 6.52 gigs is being eaten up?

jdeviant, Aug 6, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up...

Free space always eaten restarted then two gigs gone

That's a huge Program Files (x86). Expand that one an look what's in there. Appdata is normal, mine is about 3GB. Users is ok looking.

Just for comparison, here's mine.

2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up... [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up...

1. 2020 Windows update freed up 40 gigs of disc space, but now every day its being eaten up... - Similar Threads - 2020 update freed

2. Disk Space being eaten away...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Space being eaten away...: Something is continuously leeching disk space from C:/ every few seconds. I've ran antiviruses, malware scanners, and even ran MSERT.exe hoping that would find something. Nothing was found from Bitdefender, Windows defender, Avira Security, Avast, Malwarebytes, AVG,...
  3. Disk Space being eaten away...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Space being eaten away...: Something is continuously leeching disk space from C:/ every few seconds. I've ran antiviruses, malware scanners, and even ran MSERT.exe hoping that would find something. Nothing was found from Bitdefender, Windows defender, Avira Security, Avast, Malwarebytes, AVG,...
  4. After uninstall disk space didn't freed up

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    After uninstall disk space didn't freed up: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 didn't free up Space after Uninstall So, i downloaded Microsoft Flight Simulator from the Xbox Game Pass. I played it for quite some time and decided to uninstall it, i right click the Flight Simulator icon on the Xbox App and clicked...
  5. disc space is full pop-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disc space is full pop-up: I am trying to increase memory in my hp Pavilion and have even installed an additional SATA card. But it is not recognized. I have been told that by removing the original card then the new one will work. Related is an issue of connecting a new Canon printer as well as an...
  6. Free space always eaten restarted then two gigs gone

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Free space always eaten restarted then two gigs gone: ..I thought this was thing of the past, I'm always going to be next to no space! I check updates, I nuke restore point as it happens, CCleaner, just, WHY! I made it to 5 gigs remaining, restarted because Firefox was being overwhelmed again, check my C:\ and boom two gigs...
  7. My files are being eaten up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My files are being eaten up: Whenever i download a setup for a software on my pc, the applications setup suddenly reduces to 0 kbs. This also occurs to existing application execution files, and you try to open them an error message pops up saying, "this application cant run on your pc. to find a version...
  8. memory being eaten up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    memory being eaten up: Hi there! I have a HP 124BS153OD windows 10 laptop. It is a cute little laptop with very very little memory, {57GB}, so every little bit is important. It does what I want it to do, and I am happy with it. My concern is that something is eating away at what little...
  9. clean up disc space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    clean up disc space: clean up disc space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-up-disc-space/521e1b83-ab25-457c-88d3-945670003a1a
  10. Low Disc Space pop up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Low Disc Space pop up: I've had 2 updates since Low Disc pop up started: Why has this not been removed yet? 129712