Windows 10: 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted

Discus and support 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently accidentally deleted a 20GB virtual hard disk I created, and now I find that the 20 GB storage space has not been returned to my storage.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Alex_Yu_322, Mar 22, 2023.

1. 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted

I recently accidentally deleted a 20GB virtual hard disk I created, and now I find that the 20 GB storage space has not been returned to my storage. It's simply missing from my drive and I can't utilize it. I have checked Disk Management and Wiztree, and both cannot find a 20GB size gap in my drive. I would like help regarding this issue.PS: I am talking about the storage space itself, not the data the VHD itself was empty.

:)

Alex_Yu_322, Mar 22, 2023
  2. Aaron_Sum Win User

Can't remove Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition

Hi Robert,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing an issue when you are trying to remove the Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition. This partition is just a virtual partition that is created by using the space within your physical hard disk, so that
    it can be used within Hyper-V. Since you are no longer using Hyper-V and you wish to remove the Virtual Hard Drive partition, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Steps to remove the Virtual Hard Drive partition using Disk Management:

1. Press the Windows key and
      R key, this will open the Run dialogue box for you.
    2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press
      Enter, this will open the Disk Management Window for you.
    3. Your Virtual Hard Drive will be indicated by a ‘blue’ drive beside the
      Disk n (n is the disk number to which the VHD is associated), select the allocated
      Volume, right-click and select Delete Volume. You can check the picture below for your reference.

20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted a9bbe536-f604-4912-9a6e-fdb56b275e03?upload=true.png

4. You will receive a prompt, click on
      Yes. This will delete the volume allocated to the Virtual Hard Drive and the space allocated will now be turned into an
      Unallocated space.
    5. To detach the Virtual Hard Drive completely,
      right-click on the Disk and select Detach VHD.
    6. You will receive a prompt, you may click on the check box to
      Delete the virtual hard disk after removing the disk. Click on
      OK

This will remove the Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition from your system.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to post your query in IT Pro

TechNet
    forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on the issues with Hyper-V and Virtual Hard Drive to assist you with your query.

Regards,

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Mar 22, 2023
  3. Noor_Azam Win User
    Unable to create virtual hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you are trying to create a virtual machine, you can try creating a virtual hard disk manually by using PowerShell command and check if that helps.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to create virtual hard disk.

• Type PowerShell in the Windows start menu.
    • Right click on PowerShell and select run as administrator.
    • Please enter this command New-VHD "C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\Drive1.vhdx" –size 60GB –dynamic
      and hit enter key. (Note: you can change the size of the virtual hard drive according to your requirement)
    • Open Disk Management.
    • Click on Action and select
      Attach VHD.​
    • Click on Browser and navigate to the location
      C:\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines and select drive1 and click on
      Open.​
    • Click on OK.​
    • Now, right click on Disk 1 and select
      Initialize Disk.​
    • Select the Type of partition you want to use and click on
      OK.​
    • Now, right click on unallocated space and click on
      New Simple Volume.​
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to assign a
      drive letter.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in TechNet
    forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge to create virtual machines.

Hope it helps.

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Noor_Azam, Mar 22, 2023
  4. 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted

How can I delete Virtual Hard disk

I have created 10GB virtual disk
    but I want to change it and delete Virtual hard disk

Alex Kinsigton, Mar 22, 2023
Thema:

20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted

1. 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted - Similar Threads - 20GB Missing drive

2. 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted: I recently accidentally deleted a 20GB virtual hard disk I created, and now I find that the 20 GB storage space has not been returned to my storage. It's simply missing from my drive and I can't utilize it. I have checked Disk Management and Wiztree, and both cannot find a...
  3. Hard Disk Drive Missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk Drive Missing.: My Hard Disk Drive is Missing From My Laptop. Only SSD Is Shown. HDD Is not showing up In Disk Management and Device Manager. In File Explorer, Local Disk C Is Shown. Other Drives Like D, E and F are Missing. Even My Boot Is Slowed Down. Please Help Me ASAP....
  4. Hard Disk Drive Missing.

Hard Disk Drive Missing.: My Hard Disk Drive is Missing From My Laptop. Only SSD Is Shown. HDD Is not showing up In Disk Management and Device Manager. In File Explorer, Local Disk C Is Shown. Other Drives Like D, E and F are Missing. Even My Boot Is Slowed Down. Please Help Me ASAP....
  5. Deleting Virtual Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Virtual Hard Drive: Hello all,I already created a virtual hard drive. But now, when I remove it, its volume doesn't add to the origin drive!1: "New Volume G:" is the VHD2: The VHD is deleted3: The VHD is detached 4: Now, it is not added into the main drive which C: here! Anyone can help me...
  6. Deleting Virtual Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Virtual Hard Drive: Hello all,I already created a virtual hard drive. But now, when I remove it, its volume doesn't add to the origin drive!1: "New Volume G:" is the VHD2: The VHD is deleted3: The VHD is detached 4: Now, it is not added into the main drive which C: here! Anyone can help me...
  7. Deleting Virtual Hard Drive

8. Hard drive is missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive is missing from disk management: Hello , recently I was playing cod warzone on my laptop and then suddenly my it shut down and my drives except c disappeared and now it's not even starting up properly please help it's a new laptop submitted by /u/fattryingtobefit [link] [comments]...
  9. How can I delete Virtual Hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I delete Virtual Hard disk: I have created 10GB virtual disk but I want to change it and delete Virtual hard disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-delete-virtual-hard-disk/088f577f-2580-4afb-bc8f-d8e7d3ec309b
  10. Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….: …even after doing “Attach VHD” in Disk Management (before rebooting). After rebooting, each time I have to repeat to process of “Attach VHD” to see the drive in Explorer. And also, when I see it, I can see it only under “This PC” in the Explorer and not in the folder I placed...